Author Topic: No blowing snow in CIRP  (Read 20137 times)

Mike63

No blowing snow in CIRP
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
Just DL and installed this amazing project and it looks fantastic. Very nice work guys. I love the snow drifts and the sound of the wind blowing but I cannot see the blowing snow?  :'(
I have read over and over again how to install the effects into FSX effect folder and then the  SIRP_ez_ library_BGL? Where does it go ?

Who can explain the correct installation procedure for making this work?

Thanks
Mike

frostlp

Re: No blowing snow in CIRP
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 10:10:37 PM »
I'm having the same problem - all is installed as per the instructions and I've tried moving priorities in the scenery library. Here's what I have:

The wind is blowing (at McLeod) - the windsock is moving.  I've it set to 16mph.
Perhaps it's 'cause I don't have the Acc. pack for Flight Sim?

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 11:06:37 PM »
Just a question.  Are your "advanced animations" and "special effects" sliders maxxed out?  If your FX files are in the effects folder, and the bgls are activated in the scenery library, they should work.  Your library structure looks ok to me.  Here's what I've got.  The folder name is different, but that doesn't matter.  You should have 10 bgl files in the scenery folder.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:12:42 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

frostlp

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:18:28 PM »
Yes, both animations and effects are as suggested and the effects are in the correct place also.  Do you have the FS Acceleration Pack?  I don't.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:54:49 PM »
frostlp,
the blowing snow is a bit tricky to install and I'll give you a step by step here and perhaps it will help others when they get to that installation.
Some quick history the effect is from the FS9 SIRP scenery modified to work within FSX.
INSTALLATION PROCESS:

1.  Download the blowing_snow_effect.zip and extract it to a temporary folder.
2.  It creates a blowing_snow_effects folder containing two additional .zip files, and two informational  .jpg files that are not needed.
3.  Unzip the cirp_blowing_snow_efx.zip file creating a cirp_blowing_snow_efx folder.  It contains another folder named CIRP Blowing Snow EFX with a scenery sub-folder with the .bgl files for each Ice Station.  (again the jpg's are for information only)
4.  This CIRP Blowing Snow EFX is the folder that is added to your FSX Addon Scenery folder or wherever you place your CIRP files as you have already done.
5.  Now unzip the remaining SIRP_EZ_Effects.zip creating a folder named SIRP_EZ_Effects containing two more folders and the SIRP EZ Effects Manual.pdf.
6.  All the fx_SIRP files in the Effects folder are placed into the FSX\Effects folder.  There is also a texture sub-folder.  The files in the texture sub-folder are placed in the FSX\Effects\texture folder.
7.  The last folder in the SIRP_EZ_Effects is named EZ Library BGL and has a scenery sub-folder in it.
There are two file in this sub-folder, sirp_ez_effects.bgl and sirp_ez_effects.txt.  Just copy those two files into your EZ Scenery Library\scenery sub-folder.

Now cross your ankles, face NSW count to 1000 nod three times and spit downwind.  Start FSX and watch the snow blow.  As you already know you have to have some wind in the sim or it will not blow.  :o
 8)

PS:  When the blowing snow was developed for SIRP for FS2004 Acceleration was not even thought of so it is not a requirement for the effect to work in FSX either.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:00:08 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

frostlp

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 12:30:12 AM »
Hi Spud - thanks for the help. 

I've done everything step by step as you said - no luck.
Other than wind, and using the winter season, how should the weather be set?

Before I read your post, I had ordered Acc Pack for FSX from Amazon anyway.  I remember missing smoke from the cabin at Misty's, because of that.  I have SP1 and SP2 for FSX - can I just install this acc pack?  I thought that SP2 was a sub for the acc pack.
Lou

ClemCookie

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 01:48:17 AM »
Didn't the manual say something about setting the year to 2100?

arodsat

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 02:20:10 AM »
Hey frostlp. I had some trouble viewing  some 3rd party files and some old FS2004 files before getting Acceleration installed. If CIRP is installed correctly, I'd give it a try. To answer your question, SP2 is not a sub for Acceleration. Acceleration has everything that SP2 does but SP2 does not contain everything that Acceleration has...if that makes sense.
"•If install SP2 and later purchase Flight Simulator X: Acceleration, you must uninstall SP2 before installing Acceleration"
http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/SP2-EN-ReadMe.aspx
Hope that helps.

Mike63

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 03:34:44 AM »
Thanks for the input. Has it installed correct though but must be missing something.
What format does the effect texture BMP's have ? Can that be edited to work better in FSX?

Rgds
Mike

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
Didn't the manual say something about setting the year to 2100?

Setting the year to 2100 is only necessary when and if you are placing the 'orbs' to create another 'blowing snow' area in your sim.  You do not have to change the year with normal usage.
 8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
Hi Spud - thanks for the help. 

I've done everything step by step as you said - no luck.
Other than wind, and using the winter season, how should the weather be set?

Before I read your post, I had ordered Acc Pack for FSX from Amazon anyway.  I remember missing smoke from the cabin at Misty's, because of that.  I have SP1 and SP2 for FSX - can I just install this acc pack?  I thought that SP2 was a sub for the acc pack.
Lou

From your screen shot of your FSX Scenery Library you should move the CIRP Blowing Snow EFX belowall the object libraries.  Libraries should always be on the top.  I noticed that you have the EZ Library BGL added as a separate library which should work fine but move the  CIRP Blowing Snow EFX below all your library entries.
 8)
Later,

Spud

arodsat

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 09:35:37 AM »

I have read over and over again how to install the effects into FSX effect folder and then the  SIRP_ez_ library_BGL? Where does it go ?

@ Mike. The SIRP_ez_library.bgl you mentioned goes into a scenery folder in the Addon Scenery folder.

frostlp

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 09:55:45 PM »
Hi guys - thanks for the replies.

Setting the year to 2100 didn't do it.

arodsat - thanks for the info regarding installing the pack (uninstalling SP2).
I'm looking forward to seeing what I've been missing.

spud - I moved the .bgls from CIRP Blowing Snow EFX (then deleted this folder) to C.I.R.P. Scenery
I have all of the C.I.R.P. .bgl files in the same scenery folder (C.I.R.P. Scenery) - is this OK?
Thanks,
Lou

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »
Hi guys - thanks for the replies.

Setting the year to 2100 didn't do it.

arodsat - thanks for the info regarding installing the pack (uninstalling SP2).
I'm looking forward to seeing what I've been missing.

spud - I moved the .bgls from CIRP Blowing Snow EFX (then deleted this folder) to C.I.R.P. Scenery
I have all of the C.I.R.P. .bgl files in the same scenery folder (C.I.R.P. Scenery) - is this OK?
Thanks,
Lou

Yes it will work but to be absolutely honest the blowing snow effect seems to be an FPS hog somewhat and if you do not keep the .bgl's in their own folder you can not turn them off unless you go into the CIRP folder you put everything into and disable those bgl's.  This is the reason we recommend installing the scenery the way we do.  It can be turned off one base or effect at a time if you so desire.  Having it all together is more efficient of course just not as flexible.
The problem seems be that the original zip file has two more zip files inside of it.  These two embedded zip file are what is used to install the blowing snow.  Unzip the cirp_blowing_snow_efx.zip.
it has an cirp_blowing_snow_efx folder, inside of this folder is the CIRP Blowing Snow EFX folder with its scenery sub-folder that you place in the FSX\Addon Scenery folder and then add it to the FSX Scenery Library.
The second embedded zip file, SIRP_EZ_Effects.zip will unzip to a folder named SIRP_EZ_Effects which contains two other folders, 1) Effects and 2) EZ Library BGL plus the Blowing Snow Manual.  The 13 .fx files in the Effects folder are placed inside the FSX\Effects folder and the four .bmp files in the texture sub-folder in the Effects folder are placed into the FSX\Effects\texture folder.  The EZ Library BGL and its scenery sub-folder is placed in the FSX\Addon Scenery and then added to the FSX Scenery Library.

There is no date changing required BUT you do have to have some wind blowing in the weather or the snow will not blow.  No wind, no blowing (duh!)
 8)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:41:41 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Mike63

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 02:30:53 PM »
It is still a no go for the blowing snow. I think I have tried all possible combinations. I have FSX SP2 and Orbx PFJ with the update but I do not have Tongass Fjords. Also I don't have any smoke or fire on any of the 10 Icefields.  Any suggestions ?

NB: It is still a great scenery addon that I enjoy very much. The Stewart area with the glaciers and CIRP is probably the most beautiful area in FSX.

Cheers
Mike