Author Topic: CIRP Feedback  (Read 539313 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
CIRP Feedback
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:55 PM »
 Posted today in the Orbx forum.

------------

By shousa Today, 08:01 PM

For me it is all at once or nothing. Here I go.

Questions
- that RWY12 is a FS2004 Scenery not FSX ?
- all the Summit dispatch links give a 404 error ? (edit: can get them further down the page as well)
- will your PAKT have issues with ORBX's new release ?

Points to note:
- the relevant OZX libraries will be available even though it seems you are choosing to download the lastest version only. After choosing the first download each one is available separately (at first I could not find it as was looking at the bottom of the page where the relevant libraries seem to be)
- 39 zip files and some PDFs..whew!
- I have not downloaded the 20 or 30 JPEGs yet.
- I have organised all the ZIPs into directories (to install in that order) as following so as to install them in an order which will require no scenery database management.
1) EZ and OZ libraries - 3 files
2) CIRP - I will amalgamate all scenery items into 1 directory each for effects and scenery etc. So there will be a SINGLE scenery entry for CIRP - 23 zip files. OH NO - there are MULTIPLE ZIPS WITHIN THE ZIPS AND MANY HAVE TO GO TO OTHER PLACES eg EFFECTS !!!
3) CEYX and RTMM libraries - 2
4) Vehicles and hovercrafts -4 files
5) dispatches - 9 zip files

This is quite literally going to take forever. I will go have a cup of tea.

OK Have just learned something.

I chose all the 23 CIRP files and using 7Zip choseto extract to "*/*" and each ZIP extracted to its own directory in one go.

I have 2 other windows open - one as a scenery directory dump the other as an effects dump and I am dragging them across. Drag across the "scenery" folders to my CIRP Scenery folder dump which has inside of it a "scenery" folder and then choose yes to amalgamate them.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: CIRP Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »
The Summit dispatches 404's are fixed, sorry about that. They were OK down in the Land Operations area.

Doug

And if I were to post over there I'd say

... don't forget, we are a FREEware site, made up of all volunteers on a great team that spent over 1000 hours putting this together for the pleasure of the flight sim community ... with NO STRINGS ATTACHED. The great thing about a site like ours, if it is too much bother to download all the "zips, PDFs and JPGs ... whew" you can always go elsewhere ... it's not like you paid for it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:15:33 PM by Doug »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »
I did post over there folks but I suspect that the post will be deleted by the powers that be.  Here was my reply.  Wonder what will be there tomorrow?

shousa,
your concern about the RWY12 being a FS2004 file, as is the EZ_1 as well, need not be of concern. IF you bothered to read the instructions it would tell you that although the libraries were originally for FS2004 like any other library of .bgl/.bmp files they work fine with FSX. The only caveat included in the instructions were that you have to direct the .exe installer to a temporary directory and move the scenery and texture files manually as the installers are made by the original authors to install into FS2004 and as they were not developed by the team then we could not in good faith change their work.
The reason the different Ice Stations are not clumped into one folder for CIRP is primarily so that if you happen to get a bad download or install something incorrectly, trouble shooting will be simplified using this method. Once you have installed the files if everything is running error free then it would make sense if you want a single entry to combine all the various files in the scenery sub-folders into a master CIRP entry. By mass installing so many files together given the possibility of a corrupt download etc. your trouble shooting task is magnified greatly.
The most tedious part of installation is of course the scenery object libraries so that all the various objects will be in the scenery. That will take the most time. The Ice Stations themselves have many supplemental files, ie: jpg, PDF, flight plans etc. that mostly embellish what each download contains and are not part of the installation itself. If you already have a flight plan saved from an earlier Ice Station download you will be notified that file xx already exists if you try to save the same flight plan a second time, do you want to replace it? That prevents more than one instance of the plan. In most cases the scenery will consist of a scenery sub-folder with a few files in it. the Main folder with the scenery sub-folder is placed in the FSX\Addon Scenery folder and added to the scenery library. A process that including unzipping should be able to be done in less than 5 min. each. Not including the inordinate long start up time of FSX itself but that you have to take up with Microsoft. As you point out there are embedded .zip files in some downloads (a total of 3 files with embedded .zip files).
All in all if you are too impatient to install CIRP one station at a time and check everything for proper operation then perhaps it would be more appropriate to spend your money for the simplicity of payware software with installers. The idea behind RTMM and CIRP has always been the adventure of getting from 'here to there'. The group took the path they did to let the experience happen in a straight forward serial direction from one station to the next. I realize the price you pay is to exercise just a modicum of effort and time spent enjoying the experience but those who need to have it all 'right now' will unfortunately perhaps disagree with this philosophy.

View Postshousa, on 31 October 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:
My view - if I had not done it all at once it would have taken double or triple the time.

Exactly the point of the whole thing, you let it grow and enjoy the experience.

PC Aviator PNW Inv.#236905A, PFJ 96313, NRM FSS0109981, AUSP4 FSS0110565, CRM FSS115824
Later, Spud (KPNS)
Later,

Spud

archangel1

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 12:58:27 AM »
Why do so many people think flight simming is a race? So you install everything all at once.  At maybe 100+ mph, how long do you think its going to take you to fly to every destination, scattered over hundreds, if not thousands, of square miles? If you just want to fly fast, hop in a military jet or run a few laps at Reno.  Bush flying obviously isn't for you.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Reggy

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:54:23 AM »

You will never please all of the people all of the time and that is their loss! I would hate to think how long I have spent downloading and installing all of my scenery and aircraft much of it payware(some of it excellent, some of it not so much). My point would be (I don't speak for anyone but myself but am sure others would admit to the same) of the thousands of destinations on my system that I could chose from for any given flight if I am honest I have probably only know of maybe 1 -2% of whats available to me.
Instant gratification can be a wonderful thing, but tends by it's nature to be short lived, "Life is a journey, not a destination so enjoy the ride" seems like a good way to go in this blisteringly quick world in which we reside for such a short time.

Cheers Reggy      ::) phf (somebody should really hide that soapbox) ;)
"Not being too proud to learn something new everyday is what keeps life interesting" (me, unless someone else said it first).

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
Well,

I'm of the opinion that people will agree to disagree. And Shousa has his points. We know that there are people that will not like taking the time to install everything in due course. That's our world today. Everything is right there at your fingertips. So, some people aren't going to want to take the slow route. That's fine. To each his own.

He's merely pointing out that it's time consuming. And we already knew that. But that's his choice. He's not bashing us or putting CIRP down and he's interested. So we should be patient with people and make sure that they get the support they need to enjoy our efforts.

I like hearing different views on things because they open up other thoughts for me that I didn't think of. It helps me see the broader picture. Again, if there comes a way to make an easier, simpler installation procedure that doesn't take a lot of support, I think we'd all agree that would be less troublesome. I'd go for that.

But if the re-installation of files into a smaller, easier package comes at a larger support load, we don't have the time to spend troubleshooting those problems. That's why we keep things separate so we can help with minimal fuss and bother. People that choose to use our files will just have to accept our philosophy or not. For now.

If I can be shown an example of a complete CIRP installation package that is troublefree and one step, then I'll open my mind to that.

Brad

mhlarsen

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »
Thanks for the fantastic add-on CIRP!

Until now I have spent my time looking around and I must say that you have created a perfect atmosphere with these ice stations. Scenery and effects like blowing snow goes hand in hand so well.

I have had near crashes several times when losing focus caused by constantly viewing the sceneries.

In addition to this Orbx will soon release PAKT which is in the 'neighborhood', so I will be spending a lot if not all my flying time here.

Thanks
Michael

Mike63

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the fantastic add-on CIRP!

Until now I have spent my time looking around and I must say that you have created a perfect atmosphere with these ice stations. Scenery and effects like blowing snow goes hand in hand so well.

I have had near crashes several times when losing focus caused by constantly viewing the sceneries.

In addition to this Orbx will soon release PAKT which is in the 'neighborhood', so I will be spending a lot if not all my flying time here.

I agree with you all the way Michael. How did you get the blowing snow to work?

Rgds
Mike

Thanks
Michael

mhlarsen

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 04:42:39 AM »

I agree with you all the way Michael. How did you get the blowing snow to work?

Rgds
Mike

Mike,

I have taken a different approach to installing all these files and I have not yet seen any problems.
I did not want many FSX library entries, so now I have only two: RTMM library and CIRP.
First I split the CIRP files into library files, scenery files and effects files.
All Effects files are just dumped into the FSX Effects folder, but also remember to transfer any related texture files into the folder Effects/texture.
I the create a library folder named 'RTMM library' with subfolders scenery and texture. All required library files are placed in this folder in their respective subfolders. Typically its a bgl-file with an accompanying txt-file (GUID-numbers).
Then I create a scenery folder named 'CIRP' with subfolders scenery and texture. All scenery files are placed here in their respective subfolders.
I then copy the folders 'RTMM Library' and 'CIRP' to the FSX folder Addon scenery, start FSX and add them to the FSX library with 'RTMM Library' on top of 'CIRP'.

Michael

LV-PDD

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »
CIRP scenery is  exelent work, but i have a problem with my fps are very low, i didn´t have that problem with others RTMM scenery like the cabins and stuff like that
Paul
Buenos Aires. Argentina
"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life."
Igor Sikorsky, 1945

frostlp

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
CIRP scenery is  exelent work, but i have a problem with my fps are very low, i didn´t have that problem with others RTMM scenery like the cabins and stuff like that
Have you done a system defrag since the install of C.I.R.P.?  It helped me.

Also, Mike63 - do you have the Accelerator Pack installed?

Lou
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:59:55 PM by frostlp »

archangel1

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:48:30 PM »
Wasn't there a post from one of the admins mentioning the fact that CIRP could be a framerate hog? I think part of the solution was to disable the areas you weren't flying in at the time in the Scenery Library and only keep your current base and destination active.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

arodsat

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 03:34:55 AM »
Wasn't there a post from one of the admins mentioning the fact that CIRP could be a framerate hog? I think part of the solution was to disable the areas you weren't flying in at the time in the Scenery Library and only keep your current base and destination active.
Yes. It's in the "Known Issues" section of the CIRP page. I've got a decent system and can play any new game with Above Average to Max settings except certain FSX addons, CIRP in particular. Not complaining, it's well worth it. I am curious though as to WHY there is such a frame rate drop while the other RTMM areas don't have this drop. I tried disabling the blowing snow and that helped a little but, not enough of a rise in FPS to keep it turned off. I'm thinking it may be the flaming barrels but I have absolutely no evidence to back that up.  :)  It just seems that whenever I am not facing them my FPS goes up a little. Could be just coincidence. IF/when someone figures out what's causing it and/or provides a real fix, disabling individual scenery areas while they are not in use works well. It's a little clunky but it's hard to complain when such a quality product is free.

Dan

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
I my limited testing, I had a feeling it was the smoking barrels as well.  I had talked to Doug bout this same thing when I was visiting last month, and we had talked about creating a one-off test scenery  (one of the ones that causes frame rate issues) with no flaming barrels.   I'd like to see that happen.

I'm running a hex-core i7 980X 3.33GHz  processor, 6gig of RAM, and a 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5870, on W7 64, all of which destroy all other games on the market with 60+ FPS and beyond (new releases).     However, I get between 10-15 fps over many of the sceneries.    I couldn't even fraps over some of them when making my trailer video, it went to a slideshow.

Granted FSX isn't the most optimized piece of sim software to grace the market, for sure, so I know some of it comes from that.

It'd be an interesting test though... Just remove the smoking barrels from a scenery and see what happens!   Is there a particular one that comes to mind that's a little more framerate-hogging?

I'll pester Doug (my dad) to remove them from one of the sceneries and upload it as a separate "test" file somewhere.

Doug

• Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 08:35:41 AM »
Dan ... I'll do it later this afternoon and post here.  If that doesn't "do" it, then we need to pick some other object and just keep eliminating things ... keeping a record of what we are doing. I'm also wondering about the "smoke" we use ... these are actually tiny cabins we have miniaturized and put into a chimney to create the effect.  We'll do the barrels first, then try the smoking chimneys.  I'll do this testing at Summit Ice Station (since I built that one) ... just to make sure, were the frame rates down on that one?

D  <- "D" can also stand for "Dad" :-)