Author Topic: Thar's Bears in them thar hills!  (Read 6918 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Thar's Bears in them thar hills!
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:17:24 PM »
Checked out Khutzeymateen River and found these guys.

Later,

Spud

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Thar's Bears in them thar hills!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
Keep looking. :)

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
More wildlife to look out for while landing, gotta love it!
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

BeaverDriver

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »
Brings back memories seeing that ;). My first job in Jellicoe, Ontario, I was ferrying a 172 back from Geraldton to Jellicoe. It had been a while since I had flown wheels as I was assigned to a 180 on floats that summer. Anyway, I was used to looking for deadheads and other debris floating in the water as I was landing, but since I was on wheels, I wasn't paying as close attention as I did on floats. I was just in the flare when suddenly something caught my eye. It was a black bear that had stood up and was gazing at me intently. No wonder - he was right in the middle of a rather short runway! I piled on the power, went around, then buzzed the strip a couple more times before I could convince him to move  :o. He finally did and I landed without incident. Since then, I've dodged more bears, and moose, all in the water. Never take anything for granted, and it looks like the same can now be said for FSX/MM  :D. Nice shots there Spud.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:37:49 AM by BeaverDriver »
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )

AaronMyers

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:43:50 AM »
That's awesome! And great accompanying story there too Mr Driver.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
 Glad to see that you're enjoying some of the sights at K-Lodge as we've nicknamed it. Make sure you have the latest update installed, (Version 2.1) and I made this place with the intention for it to be seen by using "Bob" from ORBX. 

Kim and I worked on a lot of the ideas together for this place so if you get a chance to explore it with Bob, have a walk along the river and you should see at least a half dozen "Ursa Majoris" trying to catch salmon. I even placed a female with a couple of cubs. See if you can locate her.

The fish should be seen jumping too. I placed several viewing towers for visitors, and the lodge employs a security force that uses fireworks rifles and tranquilzer darts to keep any wandering bears from getting too close to the guests.

Enjoy,
Brad  

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »
Keep looking. :)

Oh I found the other bruins but just took the one screen shot to display here.  This was using BOB by the way.
Later,

Spud

Grizz

• Sim Junkie
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 12:12:37 AM »

Can't say that I have encountered any of these critters yet !

I always thought that they hibernate this time of year.
Grizz

BeaverDriver

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »

Can't say that I have encountered any of these critters yet !

I always thought that they hibernate this time of year.

Not necessarily. Bears aren't true hibernators. Around the Khutz area it stays pretty warm in the winter, so they may only "nap" for a month or so, with the occasional wander about on warmer days. They could make an appearance at any time  ;)

Grizz

• Sim Junkie
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
Hmm......... thats interesting. Maybe this is a new Sub-Species of some sort. I know that here the bears hibernate for two reasons in my part of the country.

1. There is more food to get in the summer. (Tourist Season)
2. The snow is so deep here, Bears don't have snowshoes or snowmobiles to get around with like some of us do.

This could be an important find  !  I'll have to check this out BeaverDriver next time I fly into the backcountry at RTMM.
Grizz

BeaverDriver

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »
No, don't get me wrong. They aren't very active in the winter for sure, but true hibernators slow their heart rates below a certain level (and it's REALLY slow) along with their breathing, and pretty much nothing will disturb them from that until Spring. Bears (of any variety) don't get into that true hibernation mode. Mothers will have cubs in the winter and nurse them (although they will sleep through much of their early nursing I believe), and bears will come out of their dens during the winter for the occasional look around. So they are far more active than a true hibernator. Are you likely to see one in the winter? Well, along the coast where it remains fairly mild all winter, it is possible, but not likely. You'd have to be at the right place at the right time. But given that, yes you could see one. Even the black bears here in Ontario will rouse themselves in the winter and when being tagged in winter, biologists have to be very careful not to make too much fuss. In fact, they often tranquilize them in their dens so the bear won't attack them when they do their studies on them.

Now, I'm not pulling this stuff out of nowhere  ;). I have an honours B.Sc. in Biology/Ecology and a minor in Climatology, and studied under a Bear Biologist for a year.

Grizz

• Sim Junkie
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
I do understand, no problems !
Sometimes we try to understand why Animals have this unusual habit of dissapearing then reappearing Four months later. I agree, its highly unlikely Bears will appear in the winter, especially in my neck of the woods where they've adapted to the harsh environment around them. I know that somedays I too have a hard time poking my head out the door, window in the dead of the winter.
 "Mother Nature captures this in many ways",  so I guess, this brings the curiosity out in us all.
Who knows what Micosoft might pullout of their hat next or maybe some other developer as well. Could it be, Bears chasing spawning fish or maybe even bigfoot. Anyways,having these animated birds and animals in the sim sure has added a level of realism and it only will get better. Don't forget ! thats true no matter what time of year. OK, I kinda got sidetracked in this thread so I will leave it alone.
Keep on snapping those RTTM screenshots !!
Take Care!
Grizz

BeaverDriver

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 06:26:20 PM »
Anyways,having these animated birds and animals in the sim sure has added a level of realism and it only will get better.

Boy, ain't that the truth!! It's fabulous! Not sure if you got sidetracked or not, but you started a very interesting thread here I think. Good stuff!