Author Topic: Help pse for D/L and installing  (Read 21558 times)

zl2bmh

• Taranaki, New Zealand,
Help pse for D/L and installing
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »
Hello All.
Call me dumb if you like and you'd be quite right, my knowledge on computers is about kindergarten level.  I have read everything in the forums but I cannot understand how to download and install this beautiful scenery. Could someone please explain to me how this is achieved in chronological order.

I just 'love' all this scenery and everyone involved in making it should be very proud of the achievements.

Regards,
Jim.
Comp: Quad Core i5 , GTX 1070, 16GB Ram,1000w P/S, OS W10 HP, 2 x 24" HD Widescreen Monitor

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Help pse for D/L and installing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:38:34 PM »
Jim,
I will help you get the scenery in your sim but I just was typing instructions and after half hour of typing I managed to screw it up and lost what I was typing SO I'm going to wait until tomorrow when I'm fresher and also do the instructions on Notepad and then transfer them to a post here on the site.  So be patient and we will git r' done.  Its not hard once you do it just involved steps that need to be done in order and correctly to provide you with the excellent scenery the guys have created for our pleasure.
Good night for now and the good Lord willing and the crick don't rise, I'll get the install guide post up sometime tomorrow, so be watching for it.
The scenery does have install instructions included but I will do a step by step guide for the first one which will be Misty's Place because that's where it all begins!
 8)
Later,

Spud

zl2bmh

• Taranaki, New Zealand,
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 12:55:22 AM »
Thanks Spud, I owe you.  I have D/L EZ_!.zip but am not sure where to put it, I have also D/L RWY12_1.zip  Both showed as being for FS2004 but I believe ( I think you wrote it) that this doesn't matter.

I have also D/L Mistys_place_v2.1 .zip and
Mistys_place_Sound_service_pack_1 .zip

That unfortunately is my input, the rest, with great thanks, will have to come from you

Regards and many many thanks,
Jim.
Comp: Quad Core i5 , GTX 1070, 16GB Ram,1000w P/S, OS W10 HP, 2 x 24" HD Widescreen Monitor

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »
Working on it today Jim.  You have the downloads already so that cuts out quite a bit of the step by step.  As for the EZ_1 and RWY12_1.zip files I'll cover those to a degree.  You do not run the installer for them and accept the defaults you have to redirect both libraries to a temporary folder first because they try to install the files into FS2004 which is incorrect for our use.
 8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
Jim,
phase one covers the Scenery Libraries installation which you need for objects to show up in the scenery itself.  For Misty's Place I think the EZ_1 and RWY_12 libraries will give you almost all of the objects.  There are other libraries you will need but this will get you started and then you will know how to add the other libraries later.

Here is the cut n' paste for you:

Installing Scenery and Libraries in RTMM.

Jim,
I did this offline and then post it here for your information.

Scenery Libraries EZ_1.zip and RWY12_1.zip were originally written for FS9 (FS2004) and have .exe installer programs that, if you use the defaults in the installer will try to install the libraries into FS9 and not be in the correct place for our use.  I almost never allow an installer program, either scenery or airplanes to install anything directly into FSX. (I do not trust where or what it may do) If the install has the feature to select where it is installed as most of them do I have a folder I named FSX Junk and direct all installers to that folder.  That way I can see exactly what and where the installer is trying to place the library, scenery or airplane files.  If they are directed to an FS9 install I can see where they would go in FSX and place them accordingly manually.
Most people have multiple scenery libraries such as EZ_1 and RWY_12 etc. etc. This is fine and allows for keeping the files separate. It is not necessary to have these separate libraries however and you can combine the files into one library which allows just one addition to the FSX Scenery Library.  It is your choice.
I have a combined library in my FSX so I can not give you a 1, 2, 3, tutorial as I do not have the individual downloads any longer on my HD so this will be a how to but not specifically step by step for the libaries.
Normally when you run the installer it will result in main folder usually named for the scenery files like EZ_1 or some such name.  In this main folder will be two sub-folders one named scenery and one named texture.  The scenery sub-folder will contain mostly .bgl, .xml and .txt files.  The texture folder will contain mostly .BMP or .DDS files.  Just place the main library folder (EZ_1) with the two sub-folders into your FSX Addon Scenery folder.  Start the FSX program and when the first screen comes up click on Settings on the left side of the screen and then Scenery Library. On the next screen you pick Add Area. The next screen will show your FSX folders.  Double left click on the Addon folder, find the EZ_1 folder or what every you named the library main folder and then left click that folder ONCE then click OK.  The library will then show up in the FSX Scenery Library screen.  Keep it at the top of the list.
Next time we will do a step by step tutorial for adding Misty's Place and the sound files as well.  For now this is enough to keep you guessing (LOL) and hopefully it will get those libraries into FSX for you.

8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »
Here is volume two!

Installing Scenery and Libraries in RTMM.

Jim,
I did this offline and then post it here for your information.

Ok lets install Misty's Place in FSX.  You have downloaded the file

mistys_place_v2.1.zip.  Can I suggest that to keep all the scenery in the same location.  To do this you make a folder on your hard drive called, I named mine, Misty Moorings.  This is where you should download ALL RTMM scenery .zip files so they will be in one location for future reference if you keep your downloads.

1.  I do not know which zip file unzipper you use but step one is to unzip the file.

2.  The result is a folder named misty's_place_v2.1 inside of this folder are several things.  A folder named Misty's Place, 3 .jpg files, readmemistys.txt and VFR Ketchikan Intl to Misty's Place.pln

3.  Of these you need the Misty's Place folder, the readmemistys.txt and the .pln file.  The .jpg will not be used in the scenery but show you the scenery and a plan G map of the flight plan.

4.  In the Misty's Place folder is a sub-folder named scenery that has just 3 files in it.  misty's_place_v21.bgl, PF20_ADEX_KG.BGL and PF20_ADEX_KG_CVX.bgl. I point this out so you can check to make sure you have the files.

5.  Other than the folder the readmemistys.txt is the most important file there because it tells you how to install the scenery plus the libraries although the file names are not the same as my previous tutorial you see that basically it tells you the same thing.

6.  The .txt file tells you to place the Mist's Place folder AND its sub-folder (scenery) into the FSX Addon Scenery folder and then using the same procedure you did for the libraries you place the Misty's Place folder to your FSX\Addon Scenery folder and add it to your Scenery Library. It is spelled out in the readmemistys.txt file in the INSTALLATION section of the file.  Always read the readme file for any download from RTMM as the installation is not always exactly the same for everything.

7.  One thing to note on Misty's Place readmemistys.txt it says that Misty's is PF01 on the Select Airport screen and on the GPS.  This is an error that has gotten by Quality Control (that's ME, sorry bout that) The actual ID for Misty's Place is PF20 on the Select Airport screen and the GPS.

8.  After you have added Misty's Place to the FSX Scenery Library move it down just below the library or libraries you installed prior to Misty's Place.

9.  Click OK and the sim will build a new database for the scenery files, when it completes it returns to the SETTINGS screen.

10. Click on FREE FLIGHT to return to main screen and use CURRENT LOCATION to select PF20 Misty's Place.

11. Once PF20  Misty's Place is showing in CURRENT LOCATION on the FREE FLIGHT screen click FLY NOW! and you will open at Misty's Place.

12. One other thing, also covered in the readmemistys.txt file is to move the .pln file to the location where you keep you flight plans for FSX.  You can then use that plan to fly from Ketchekan to Misty's Place without getting lost.

I'm sure you will have more questions on installing stuff but the help is here just ask.

The sound and service pack will be covered next but first get the Libraries and Misty's Place installed and running correctly before we tackle the next step.

Happy RTMM simming Jim.
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 01:35:59 PM »
Just FYI anybody reading these posts almost everything is covered on the site but you have to take the time to read the vast amount of information provided by going to each section, Home, Misty's Place, NOTAMs Scenery etc. and reading the information for yourself.
Like the saying goes "it ain't McDonald's", no fast food, you have to cook it yourself if you want the goodies and it does take study and, of course questions for something that is not clearly stated.
 8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »
Installing Sound and Service Pack for RTMM.

First thing, the README mistys place sound service pack 1.txt is NOT CORRECT.  One more thing that got through in the rush to completion and making corrections to the scenery.  For some reason in my files it reads correctly but this is an older version apparently.

IF you have misty's_place_v2.1.zip then there are no files to delete as stated in the README file.

This is how the file should read:

"This package will add sounds to the Misty's Place scenery.
Follow these steps to install:

STEP 1:

1.  Unzip this package to a temp folder.
2.  Copy the *.bgl files to your Misty Moorings Scenery Folder
3.  Copy the *.wav files to FSX\Sound Folder, Overwrite old files when asked.
3.  Copy the *.fx files to the FSX\Effects Folder

Some of the sounds are active during the 24 hour period, others are only active during the day and
others at night. 

This package was compiled by Dexter Thomas for the Misty Moorings freeware addon."

Straight forward and simple UNLESS your not familiar with manipulating files using Explore but we assume you know how to do this already.
Note that with other sound packs for other sceneries from RTMM when you copy the various file types (.bgl, .wav, .fx) to their respective folders it may ask if you want to overwrite an existing file of the same name.  You may answer yes to this as the same files are used more than once on occasion.

With this correction you should now have a complete Misty's Place installation.

Remember there are more libraries to download and install besides just the two mentioned in these quick tutorials.  Do not forget to download and install them or your scenery will not show correctly.  Misty's is one of the early downloads and as such did not use too many objects for a lot of libraries so it should show OK with what has been covered in these three posts.
Later,

Spud

zl2bmh

• Taranaki, New Zealand,
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 06:22:27 PM »
Bud.

How do I thank you.  In our forums, there is always a group of special people who go out of their way to help others who are not  as knowledgeable about finding their way around computers.  These special people come to our aid immediately, you are such a person.  I thank you very very much indeed for without your help I would never have flown these beautiful strips also made by special people, and I would have been so disappointed.

Thank you again.
Jim.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 11:41:47 PM »
Jim,
glad I could help, that is what RTMM is all about.  As our Aussie friends say, "No Worries Mate!"
 8)
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 07:51:14 PM »
Great information here thanks to Spud. I've made this message a sticky so others that come along and need some assistance will have this great thread.

Thanks so much,

Brad

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 02:38:24 PM »
Great information here thanks to Spud. I've made this message a sticky so others that come along and need some assistance will have this great thread.

Thanks so much,

Brad

Yes, well done!!
Great Spud, this will help a lot for newbies on RTMM..... 8)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals