Author Topic: Scenery Project  (Read 9871 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Scenery Project
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:21:48 AM »
A few (well, more like many ;) ) years back I made my first project for Misty Moorings - it was a research station on Through Glacier. Ice runway for skis/wheels, heli pad, office, hangar etc.

I am having another go now using Instant Scenery.

If it works, what should I also consider when preparing it for offering to RTMM here? Any special "rules" I need to observe?

Here's a few shots of how it looked then. Over the years the research team will have changed things around a bit now) The last shot is from the "now" - flying the Bushhawk up to the Glacier...

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Scenery Project
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:14:28 AM »
Chris,

Please read our rules for interested scenery developers found on the home page where it says "Help Wanted"

Let me know by map image where you'd like to break ground at so I can make sure no other projects are at that location.

No ORBX objects allowed in your design. Only default or EZ_1.zip objects.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Brad

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:27:49 AM »
Will do! Just going for some lunch and dessert and a post-prandial nap first... ;)

Basically you'll enter Through Glacier from the SW corner, swing north and east and then hang a left into the second smaller gap from the eastern end. There'll be a set of radio antennae up on the left most hill top, a runway 35 up to the research camp and a helipad.

Maybe later I will also complete the resupply base down on the Behm channel.

Will draw a map later. First of all I have a date with a filet steak and salad!
All the best,

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:35:12 AM »
Ahhh, that's much better...

Right then, the location. See picture.

X and Y could be observation posts. The runway itself is 35 uphill to Z. All the research gear and accommodation will be 'placed' around Z. There will be no formal runway, just markers on the (sloped) ice - probably good for 750 metres or so. Helipad near Z.

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]
All the best,

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
Hi One-Eye,
Very Nice pictures! Can`t wait anymore for release!!! 8)
Will the observation posts also have helipads?

Regards

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
Well, they are so inaccessible that I will have to provide some.

At the moment I am having "issues" with Flight1's Instant Scenery. But I will find the answers.
All the best,

gurka

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
Just an FYI - I think someone has already done an icefields scenery based on the real world SIRP icefield research stations in Alaska (Tongass scenery) - you can find more info on the FSE site: http://fseforums.com/community-resources.asp?group=261

cheers

Dieter

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 05:29:15 PM »
I remember this one, made by Brad:
http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1289-mount-kinch-ice-station/

Dieter

P.S. We had these great SIRP icefields bases, made by Ed Truthan, but they were for FS2004.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:23 PM »
Not so much an ice base, just a small research station on the glacier, a few landmarks added and a special still shack for Uncle Elmer's fine old #5. A couple of w-i-p are attached.

It will be especially interesting, because it's so darned invisible, even on a clear day. I may put the odd illumination in for night approaches, but they'll only be for the more daring.

For a temporary base that it was in 2004, it's becoming rather permanent. The runway markers are water filled cones frozen to the glacier, so do make sure you land straight! That ice is hard enough to take out a leg.

All the best,

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:07:28 PM »
Mt Kinch will return.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 06:50:16 AM »
Three, no four more w-i-p shots. I am finished with the object placement. Now to write a story for the background...

Also: I need to create named landing pads for the helis so that the scenery will show in FSX map - can anyone point me in the right direction please - and can I "book" an airfiel ICAO code as well please?

There are actually three heli pads, but I am going to leave the finding of the two smaller one to the users - there is a need to fly to them for maintenance purposes. The main one will serve as the research station helipad - it's a big one so that even a Skycrane can drop in for a coffee.

The runway approach is uphill only, so when you plan a visit, you have to call ahead so that someone can trot down to the approach end of the strip to light the fires.

Pictures/Teasers:

All the best,

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »
Hi One-Eye, does this scenery have an airstrip in that you used ADE to create a new airfield? If so then yes it can have a Designator, if not then it is just scenery and we do not use the designators for that as they will not show up in the GPS.

Let me know what this is, airfield or scenery and I will assign you a PF number for it.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:39 AM »
Well, the strip is going to have to be the PFJ terrain as I am using the glacier as a runway. The markers are "traffic cones" but I have included a helipad for all sizes of heli up to the Skycrane.

I have Flight1's AFX package - maybe I can use this to creat a "flat spot" for the heli pads.

The location of the main base helipad is N 55° 88.93'  and W 130° 17.32' to the centre of the heli pad.
All the best,

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
It will class as Just scenery then and will not appear in the GPS, so it will not have a PF number,

Mt Kinch does not have a PF number either as it comes under the same class of scenery.

This is all to do with how FSX will see your scenery, if it sees it as an airport (which means that you would actually have to create a new airport using an editor like ADE) then of necessity it has to have some kind of ICAO type code, we selected the PF code as it was available and fitted in with the theme of Pacific Fjords.

Assigning the codes to "non airport" sceneries would serve no useful function and could in fact cause some confusion as people would inevitably assume that they could enter a direct to waypoint in their GPS and have a track to the destination, but that would not be so.

Hope this makes sense to you.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
Makes sense.

But as the research station has been there "so long" now ;) it will need a permanent fixture on the map.

Of course... I could let it go non-ICAO and make everyone go hunting for it...  ;D but as the scientists insist on regular supplies of "comfy bum" and newspapers, there'd be a heck of a fuss if Ketchikan didn't send stuff.

One-Eye is OK, he knows the route in his sleep. Happens he usually does sleep on the downhill run anyway. (Recovering from the "tasters" up in the still...)

You know, those softy scientific people even tried to get a full ILS installed on the ice. It wasn't so much the money, it was just them there 'green' people in the FAA house... "You ain't gettin' no permission to flatten the glacier and that's final!"
All the best,