Author Topic: Why no Logoff Button?  (Read 5019 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Why no Logoff Button?
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:01:08 AM »
Keep forgetting to ask but since its inception RTMM has never had a logoff button except on the Forums page.   No problem but it does force you to return to the Forums to logoff.   It would be more efficient to have one on every page so when you finish say a scenery file download you could simply logoff from there instead of having to click to the forums page for the button.
 8)
Later,

Spud

archangel1

Re: Why no Logoff Button?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
So, who logs off?  ;)
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:36:17 PM »
I may be ignorant but I never thought to log off before going to another web site.  Is there a good reason for doing so?
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 11:04:30 PM »
Unless I have a brain fart I always log off every site I visit.  I know it is not necessary but I just do not like having anything open when I'm not on the web.  Matter of fact I'll log off if I'm just searching for something on another site and intend to come back to RTMM when I'm done.  I do have my computer set to remember my login name and password.  I'm the only user so that is not a problem.
 8)
Later,

Spud

archangel1

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »
At last count, I had over 180 logins to various sites.  :o  Granted, some of them are identical but it's obviously impossible to always remember which one belongs to which, so if a website can remember it for me, there's no way I'm logging off unless I absolutely have to.  ;D

If I print them all out, it's 17 pages, double-spaced!  ::)
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Dan

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »
The forums and the main site are technically completely different websites.   whenever you're at "return.mistymoorings.com" you're not logged into anything really.   When you're on "forum.mistymoorings.com" you can log in/out.

The most simple way to handle it would likely be to just let it log you out over time (don't check the box on the login page to "keep you logged in."   The default will only keep you logged in for an hour (and you can edit that to whatever you want, in the "Minutes to stay logged in:" box).

Reggy

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »

Does'nt apply to here obviously but I was speaking to a IT lecturer recently. He was saying that it is a common ability now on many of the social networking sites if you are logged in and searching elsewhere on the web they can track and log all your searching habits. Not that any of us would be doing anything we should'nt but probably not a bad thing to log off when finished as part of good browsing practice.

Cheers Reggy
"Not being too proud to learn something new everyday is what keeps life interesting" (me, unless someone else said it first).

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
Kind of how I feel personally.  I like to log out of all sites as I finish with what I'm doing even though staying logged on does no harm they say.  At the moment the ORBX site for me is screwed up as far as logging on is concerned.  (does not remember me from one log in to the next) Jay Kae and I have been corresponding on the problem but no solution has been forthcoming so I do stay logged on to their site but that is the only one I do.
I have learned to live with having to go to the top of the screen here to log out.  It has put an extra 3500 miles on my scroll wheel by now though.
 ::)
 8)

Later,

Spud