Author Topic: fshost vs gamespy  (Read 5688 times)

WeDGe

• You cant take it with ya
fshost vs gamespy
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:18:37 PM »
we,ll thanks to lazyeight for the heads up on using gamespy to connect to a mp session rather then fshost ..the big difference is that the planes dont jump around like they do in fshost ..I tried it with my friend xray last night after the flight and couldent believe how smooth it was compared to fshost,I think we need to re evaluate and use gamespy instead ,,it is more complicated to setup on the server side {i think} but would be worth it for the smoothness of the session and being able to actually fly on someones wing instead of the jitteryness of fshost..I for one will be using gamespy for now on .
Cheers WeDGe ;D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: fshost vs gamespy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
I'm just the opposite, strictly FSHost on my system.
 8)
Later,

Spud

WeDGe

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
Dont look now spud because , you already have gamespy on your system  ;), it comes with FSX and you access it at the welcome screen when fsx loads .its in a sub menu of the Multiplayer tab... I dident know that either untill yeasterday     8) WeDGE

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »
Yes, I'm well aware that gamespy is part of FSX but on my system it ain't gonna happen no way no how.
I installed FSHost for multi-player use and that is my personal preference.
 :P
 8)
Later,

Spud

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 10:39:35 AM »
When FSX was introduced and Gamespy advertised, lots of 'us' decided that Gamespy is just way to intrusive on our machines and that's why the majority of simmers stuck with FSHost or FSInn or some other non-Gamespy system.

I tried Gamespy too, it works, but I too threw it off after it became clear that you let a lot of other 'things' (if maybe even options) into your 'world'.

To each his own  ;)
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

Dieter

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »
>> To each his own
I totally agree.

We tried gamespy in our flying club, but generally we had a lot of problems, so we still use FsHost regardless this bad "aircraft jumping"

A very good software is FsInn (FS2004 and FSX), but difficult to install:
http://www.simmiles.com/airline/fsinn-fscopilot.php

Manual (english):
http://download3.apollo3.com/files/FSInn_1_2_EN.pdf

Help forum:
http://forums.vatsim.net/viewforum.php?f=43

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

WeDGe

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »
well it was worth a shot , i have no problem using fshost here at mistys ....its just such a tease to know that the play can be smooth like fs9. i have my fiend at midav trying to set up gamespy on the server side but so far we cant get it to work ,so i can relate to you guys that have already tried it with not so good results , were still trying but from what i,ve read it dosent look good...whats happening with his server is gamespy is saying that there is no video card found , well its a server , it has no video card...go figure .if anyone here has any input into how to set up gamespy on the server side please pm me ..i,ve tried looking it up , the gamespy forum is useless for info and googles coming up empty ..any info you can point me to would be greatly appreciated..see ya on the thursday night flight ...cheers WeDGe 8)

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 02:48:35 AM »
I don't think you can set up a 'GameSpy server' yourself, at least not in the sense of having your own hardware run it.
GameSpy is a company (actually it is IGN Entertainment) and as such you have to agree to use THEIR hardware and let THEM in on your computer. That's the main issue most people have with the system. That and the fact that it was very difficult to keep screen kiddies and spammers out of your 'network'. The latter may have changed, I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameSpy

As for solutions to setting up a GameSpy session, you may want to have a look here:

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Connection_Issues
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

briansommers

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
I vote for gamespy, but with a host IP.  In other words if someone acts as a host and post there IP, we can hook up directly to them.. via gamespy.  I used to fly with some guys who did this and it worked quite well.

I've also had great success just doing "regular" gamespy as well.