Author Topic: What is your starting location?  (Read 2842 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
What is your starting location?
« on: May 01, 2011, 06:27:18 PM »
Question: If you save a flight and make it the default flight at a location that is not in the airport database IE: one of many RTMM scenery destinations like Darby Lake Cabin et al what is the location listed in the opening selection screen for your starting point when you restart FSX?

Answer: Believe it or not it will be listed as Seattle-Tacoma Intl.

I just noticed this quirk today never looked before I guess.
 8)
Later,

Spud

foggy-bottom

Re: What is your starting location?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:57:58 AM »
Good morning, Spud,

I hadn't noticed!  A good point though.  I am without my main FSX computer at present, due to a suspected Power Supply Unit not supplying power.  It's in the shop for diagnostics.  There must be a way around this, but I have noticed that several FTX/orbx sceneries, when I "connect to new flight" in Flight Keeper, show the start point at, e.g., KSEA when I am starting at Vashon Mun or Wax Orchards, even though they appear in the FSX database.  Even a "nav database" rebuild - several - has not sorted the issue.  Is it something in the orbx coding of airfield BGL files?  BTW, same happens at PAKX, i.e., but defaults to PAKT!?

I'll check when I get my main FSX box back, but I believe the only solution is to allocate "false ICAO" codes to the various cabins, docks, et al.  But, I wouldn't know where to start!
Regards  /  "Foggy"

If flying was really difficult, only Armourers would be allowed to do it...

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: What is your starting location?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
Thanks Spud,
     I have often wondered why it said "SeaTac" when I am nowhere near the Seattle area.  It use to bother me, but since it doesn't start me out at SeaTac, all is OK.  Now I ignore it and just push the "Fly now" button.  I have FSUIPC saving my flight every 60 seconds, and that is my default flight.  So I always start up exactly where I left off.  (and it saves every 60 seconds, so if FSX crashes I only lose one minute or less of flight.)

SeaTac mystery solved!! (for me, anyway)

So to answer the question, my starting location is wherever I quit last time, even in mid-flight.  It usually shows the nearest airport, even if I wasn't "at" it. 

Foggy, sorry to hear you are having power supply issues.  I build my own computers, and once I received a MOBO with a defective BIOS.  It went to the shop, unusual for me, and I ended up buying a new MOBO replacement.  I'm not one to RMA things, so it cost me $250.00 to fix.

I think KSEA must be a default, if no ICOA is found for your present location.  That seems silly though.  Maybe to Bill Gates KSEA is the center of the universe.  (just wild speculation on my part)  And why is our "first flight" started IN THE AIR . . . over Friday Harbor?  (and not even lined up with the runway)  Learning to fly by being kicked out of the nest.  Weeeee!

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P