Author Topic: RTMM Flight Plans Don't Load  (Read 2406 times)

williamb

RTMM Flight Plans Don't Load
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:19:39 PM »
Hello Misty Moorings Pilots,

I recently returned to Misty Moorings after an extended absence.  I have loaded all sceneries and all 10 objects show up at PANT.  I read the Readme First-RTMM-MFC found in RTMM Flight Plans.  I installed as directed but selected flight plans will not load in the FSX Flight Planner.  Would appreciate any help/thoughts on what problem might be.  If this is not the forum for this question please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

WilliamB

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: RTMM Flight Plans Don't Load
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 07:27:05 AM »
Well firstly William, a warm welcome back to you.

Ok referring to the RTMM-MFC FP:

A couple of things here to check. I seems that downloading/extracting the zip files is working fine with other compressed files (Scenery zips) but what do you use to extract zip files? Just to ensure compatibility.
It might make a difference (or may not at all).  The RTMM-MFC_Flight_Plans.zip is a standard zip file compressed using winrar v5.70. Most current extraction utilities can open/extract this file. 

Assume you are using Windows OS?  Windows itself has a MAX_PATH value of 255 characters (NTFS) which means that the path and file name MUST be under 255 characters to be readible in windows explorer.

Now in addition to this limit in the Windows OS, a limit which is normally not exceeded, it appears that FSX  has it's own limit (although not known) which limits it's file readability. If a FP path+file name is over the FSX limit it won't be readable and therefore won't be loadable. (We have seen this same issue before with users of FSX).

To fix: move the RTMM-MFC_Flight_Plans folder to shorten the path. IE: to C:\Documents\FP or to C:\FP
and try to load up FP then.

Or as a test I have shortened the first five FP. Try these in the your current location of the FP Folder and see if they load up for you in FSX.

Give it a try William and let us know your findings.

Norm

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 07:45:58 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

williamb

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 07:18:15 PM »
Norm,  thanks for your reply. Below is an example flight plan that I have tried to load with no success.  Other plans have gotten the same results-- no load.

Aiken Creek Cabin (AIKC) from Misty's Place (PF20) -1200 RSA-L-W-----------------  MFC0003A.pln

It is in the C:\Users\WilliamB\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\Flight Simulator Flight Sets\RTMM Flight Plans  directory.  When the flight plan is in the selection window I select "open"  and am taken back up RTMM Flight Plans where all 717 plans are listed. I reduced the number of dashes to no avail.  I am at a loss- I don't think the plan is more than 264 characters.  I am not sure if my directory structure is correct.  I am also not sure I am using the Flight Planner correctly.  I select flight plannerj select load, select desired flight pln, wait until the pln is in the lower window then select open then load again where I am taken back up to the window with the directory where all the plans reside.  Also I never get a chance to save.

If you see anything else that might be wrong let me know.   My OS is Windows 7 pro.

Thanks again.

WilliamB

Norm I am adding to my response.  1St thanks for your welcome 2nd The extraction file I use is what ever Windows 7 pro uses as it extracts automatically when file is selected. 3rd I copied the a Flightplan file from my old computer:  " #Aiken Creek Camp RTMM from Mistys Place.pln", .  It has a very short path to as it is on my external G:/ drive.  Ran FSX opened the Flightplanner selected the above directly from the G: drive and it loaded.  This Aiken Misty's plan is also shorter than the one above I downed loaded in The RTMM File.  I am having trouble editing those plans.  I would like to shorten all the plans but am not sure how to edit them?

Thanks again for your help.

WilliamB

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:17:02 PM by williamb »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 08:41:28 AM »
Your FOLDER path to the FP is very long:

Folder: C:\Users\WilliamB\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\Flight Simulator Flight Sets\RTMM Flight Plans  directory

Ok: Did you try to load the TEST FP.zip that I attached on the last post?
There is 5 flight plan files in that zip.

Extract the test.zip and put the 5 MFCxxxx.pln files in to your RTMM Flight Plans  folder.. then try them and see if they will load up for you.

Norm

williamb

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
Norm,

I downloaded TestFP.Zip into my documents/Flight Simulator X/Test FLPs folder.  Extracted the test flight plans.  I was able to load all with the FSX Flight Planner: 1. Gustavos Parking 13  RAMP GA SMALL--no destination but route show on map, 2. Juneau int Parking 1 RAMP GA MEDIUM--- Admiralty Cove Cabin,  3.Misty's Place(PF20) -17---Aiken Creek Camp (AIKC) Flew this one, 4. Haines Junction (CYHT) -4 --- Aishihik Lake North Cabin (ALNC) , and 5. Haines Junction (CYHT) - 4 ---Aishihik Lake South Ruins (ALSR).  The Flight Plans extracted from the RTMM-MFC_Flight_Plans still do not load and I am not sure how to edit them.  It seems the files are somehow "security" protected.  Also noted that Juneau int. in my system has "spikes and runway covered" elevation-mesh problem?  I am not sure my scenery order is completely correct.

Thanks!  I am headed in the right direction.  With little more "schooling" I should get their.

WilliamB

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »
Ok the test FP that you loaded up, they are the exact same FP as RTMM FP 0001 through 000: just named MUCH shorter. So the fact that you can load them tells me that it a long path and filename that is exceeding the windows explorer and FSX MAX character limit so they won't load up.

They have a security protected because the path exceeds the MAX character limit of the system so you can't do anything with them except move them to a shorter path.

So now create a new folder C:\FP and put  the folder RTMM-MFC_Flight_Plans there.

so IE: C:\FP\RTMM-MFC_Flight_Plans- pln files.   Then try to load any of the FP in your sim.

(This short folder structure greatly reduces the path/characters used and they should be well under the windows explorer max limit. Hence the FP should load with no issues.)

Bottom line is you have to shorten the folders/path to the Flight plan files. Right now it's too long and is exceeding the Windows explorer limit to be able to read them.   

williamb

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 10:25:14 PM »
I placed the the FLPs in (C:)\ FP\RTMM Flight Plans.  The first flight plan. the one from, Gustavos loaded and I flew it.  After that none of the other flight plans would load.  The Gustavos plan also loaded from folder with longer path. Go figure.  I am at loss at this point.  I wish I could edit the FPLN file.  How did you create your shortened flight plan file?

Thanks for your time and effort.

WilliamB

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 11:03:19 PM »
Just rename the FP name but you have to keep the " .pln " at the end.