Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 2025 times)

ANN XPAT

Fuel
« on: April 05, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »
Am I correct in my assumption that Cigar Box will not allow me to refuel if no fuel station is present? I'm flying  the Barnstormers Tour (fantastic work BTW). I ran out of fuel just this side of PF51. I was able to land on the ice in Nechaka Reservoir, for all the good it will do me.

Am reflying that leg of the tour, and blasphamy, I'm using the autopilot to get to where I put down and will "resume" normal procedures.

Will need to plan accordingly if this is the case. I usually like to save the scenario I shut down in for the next leg, but that's not going to work fuel planning wise.

Cheers

Bob

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »
Am I correct in my assumption that Cigar Box will not allow me to refuel if no fuel station is present? I'm flying  the Barnstormers Tour (fantastic work BTW). I ran out of fuel just this side of PF51. I was able to land on the ice in Nechaka Reservoir, for all the good it will do me.

Am reflying that leg of the tour, and blasphamy, I'm using the autopilot to get to where I put down and will "resume" normal procedures.

Will need to plan accordingly if this is the case. I usually like to save the scenario I shut down in for the next leg, but that's not going to work fuel planning wise.

Cheers

Bob

Hmmm.. Well Bob.. The plan is usually make sure you have enough FUEL!! lol.  If you do run out, well it's best not to do it in the air.. but if you do <gasp> run out! better look for a soft landing location FAST!! Lakes or rivers make perfect bail outs, that is IF you're in an AMPH!!  But if not a clearing or glacier might do.

If you're on the ground feel free to add fuel (with or without a fuel stand present). Cigar Box might allow you to add fuel but we don't generally authorize in-air refueling for bush operation..lol.. (Now if you are in the Military!! and have a tanker close by to top up your F16 or F18 be my guess!! (But these aircraft are not exactly bush!).

Best to plan to have enough fuel and plan when you have fuel stands or bigger airport fueling trucks around cause other than that bush up here can be a bit barren for Aviation Gazzzzzzz!! (100LL!!!). But again, no restriction on fueling on the ground just about anywhere!! (But best not to re-fuel in the air.. Cigar Box might blow up the fuel!!!)

A DHC2 Beaver Non Turbo burns @20 gallons per hr or so (cruising @ 65-75%). (If your pushing it, 75@ throttle or up, you'll burn more fuel. Most of the flights up here are under 1'30", most under an hour. (So 20-30 gallons should get you from departure to destination. (And again feel free to add fuel when your on the ground with or without fuel stands or trucks around!).

lol Long winded jokey response to say.. have fun.. and best to fuel on ground.. wherever you need to to keep that RTMM-MFC Plane moving!!.

Norm

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

ANN XPAT

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »
Norm… thanks for the fuel planning advice. I have never had P3D NOT allow me to refuel on the ground prior to takeoff. I fill the tanks and the fuel does not register in the tanks. It only occurs when Cigar Box is open and connected. I close it and I can refuel. Obviously the simple solution; fuel prior to opening Cigar Box even in a remote cabin location. I was under the mistaken impression a full Tour could be accomplished with full fuel tanks, thinking it was designed that way. NO worries!

Of note too, I don’t have an option to run Cigar Box in admin mode, which is how I start most addons such as weather and texture engines. The option is just not there when I right click the icon.

Again please allow me thank you and all the team at RTMM. These tours and scenery are an absolute delight to fly. I am downloading all the scenery files prior to flying and will, no doubt, fly these again, and again. Just suburb and often challenging flying. Thanks all!!

Bob

kaha

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
Pilot's first rule: Always have sufficient fuel on board!  ;D

Just had to refly a leg because i ran out of fuel.  From now on i will double check on fuel amount before pressing "Start Flight".

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »
Yup anyone can fuel just about anywhere... (prior to Cigar Box running) but best to do it before the flight..lol..

Bob, not that you absolutely need admin but if you can't get it to show perhaps Cigar Box might not be correctly installed or it's installed in a "Windows" protected folder to which it won't provide option to run as administrator. (The option should be present!- Maybe try a right click on the Cigar Box shortcut and run as admin, or right click properties - go to the compatibility tab and set to run as admin. (Should be able to do it for you as an user or for all users.
 Barring that, maybe do a quick uninstall and reinstall of Cigar Box to an unprotected location and see if the run as admin option appears. Weird.

Yep, lots of great scenery here by the scenery designers, and the MFC stuff, well Doug created the original RTMM FP, now at MFC have tried to incorporate them into single flyable flights - and the tours, well a challenge to try plan and design all the tours to be able to explore all of this scenery. All the tours connect.. so best to fly each in order.. Fun trip through RTMM, Tongass & Orbx land!!.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

ANN XPAT

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
Thanks for the direction Norm. I will try to reinstall Cigar Box and fuel up prior to running it too. I'm finding I'm pretty (very) rusty on my short field landings. I just overshot Telkwa Mountain's strip after circling a few times to get an idea of what was there. Looks like it's a harbinger of airstrips to come. Cheers!