Author Topic: Installing Misty Moorings using addon.xml  (Read 17128 times)

gavinc

Installing Misty Moorings using addon.xml
« on: February 10, 2019, 10:23:07 AM »
Hi
Has anyone had any issues using the addon.xml method?

I decided to start using this technique with the new updates to RTMM.

I started with CIRP 2.0 and created an RTMM folder in my Documents folder.

In there I created an addon.xml file that pointed to where I had CIRP 2.0 installed. (I should point out that at this point I had all the other RTMM files, except CIRP 1.0, installed using the traditional method).

Restarted P3D and it asked if I wanted to activate RTMM. I said yes but the program just sat and spun. I had to kill the process. I then deleted the addon.xml file and restarted P3D. It started fine and I added CIRP 2.0 using the traditional method with no issues.

Is this an issue that other people have seen?

Gavin

tomse

Re: Installing Misty Moorings using addon.xml
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 07:39:52 AM »
Hi Gavinc
I added all my rtmm scenery (and others)  except one, with the xml method. Everything Works Fine.
But you Must set one scenery oldfashioned because you Need an Insertion Point for Ftx Central in the scenery. cfg! Ftxcentral doesnot read out the xml scenery folder, BTW PlanG neither. ( VFRFlight I don't know)
You don't have to create an xml folder by yourself. iHope you used LorbySI scenery manager, that Makes it much easier and you cán decide to Save the scenery in the scenery.cfg or xml method.
 And Vice versa
My Suggestion is to Save the Yukon scenery (Last rtmm scenery) to scenery.cfg and set this in FTX Central as Insertion Point for the Ftx Installation. Then you cán install all other scenery with the xml method.
It might Happen After new Installation or updating P3D v4, that the scenery used as Insertion Point is Kicked out. Then this scenery is no more present in Ftx Central and you have a big disorder !
Simple reinstahl the Yukon ( or whatever you choosed) and set the Insertion Point in Ftx Central again, mostly just done by Ftx Central itself .

I7-4790@3.6GHZ, WIN10/ 64bit, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 8GB VRAM,  P3Dv5.5, Active Sky P3D, FSUIPC 6, LittleNavMap

gavinc

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 12:11:51 PM »
Hi Tomse

Glad to know that you can use the xml technique with RTMM.

I have other packages that I added using xml and created a "Addon Scenery" folder just to act as an insertion point for FTX, as you mentioned.

I will go back and re-try adding RTMM components via xml. I must have messed something up the first time.

Gavin

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
Need to reference the scenery folders as well as the effects and sounds - but in doing so your paths have to be perfect so just be careful.

Set up your own folders outside the sim then the xml to reference those folders. FTX insertion points are a bit trickier but it works.

At Thomas mentioned you can also use the cfg files to set up the parameters for which your sim can use. (Found in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4)

IE: Effects.cfg  - as default uses Your sim path Effects folder but you can create a entry and put all your RTMM Effects there : IE:

Effects.cfg
[Entry.0]
Title=Default Effects
Path=Effects
Required=True
Active=True
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
[Entry.1]
Title=Addon RTMM Effects
Path=D:\Addons\RTMM\Effects
Required=False
Active=True
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So all of the RTMM are on D: in Folder Addons\RTMM Effects  and when the sim is started it will read not only the default Effects fold but the RTMM Effects as well or you can do it via xml

<AddOn.Component>
        <Category>RTMM Effects</Category>
        <Path>D:\Addons\RTMM\Effects\</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>

Lots of ways to make it work but the full paths used in either the cfg files or xml files have to be dead on.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:49:54 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 10:01:19 AM »
Hi

I am using the xml method for RTMM scenery using Lorby's P3DAO. Is this procedure correct?
I'm not sure if I'm handling the Scenery\World\Scenery files correctly.

This is what I do:

1, Create the folders as required for sound, effects, sim objects,etc., and put the appropriate RTMM files in them.

2. I also put files that need to go in Root\Scenery\World\Scenery in a folder structure: scenery\world\scenery.

3. Create, if necessary, the scenery folder, e.g., Tongass Narrows floats, with a 'scenery' sub-folder.

4. Using P3DAO I add 2 entries in scenery: the scenery folder e.g., 'Tongass Narrows floats' and 'scenery\world' [I believe the folder 'scenery' containing files will be read]

5. Then I create 'other add-ons' using Lorby for all the other folders - effects, sim objects, etc.

All folders reside in the same directory.

Thanks.

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 08:55:56 AM »
Hi Tomse

Can I ask you what you did with the files that should go to P3D\Scenery\World\Scenery?
I'm pretty sure I'm adding everything else correctly but have a doubt where these particular files are concerned.

Thanks

R7 5800X RTX4070ti 12gb 32gb 3200 DDR4 Corsair 110h v2  34" UW 1440p 100hz  1tb SSD-OS 1Tb M2 Cambridge 5.1 audio Honeycomb A + B TM pedals Corsair K55+M55 Seasonic 750w plat

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
If your using xml only... (I don't use Lorby). This is just notepad/xml and manual folder creation.

The world scenery folder goes by itself under the main RTMM scenery piece: IE: will use RTMM Scenery TWChugach2 as an example of how, even though this scenery doesn't have all the pieces set up below but does show paths and how to set up the xml file:

The world scenery folder should be placed at the bottom (or at layer 3) of the scenery order and the textures in should be a layer WORLD or GLOBAL.

Easier to see the complete addon.xml:  (This is just an example) - as long as your paths/strings are correct it should work.

So in this example the main path to the scenery piece(s) is: D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\
with sub-folder paths:

D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\Effects
D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\scenery
D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\texture
D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\world\scenery
D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\AIShips  (These are adding any simobjects-ships to the sim)   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>RTMM-TWChugach-2</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>RTMM-TWChugach-2</AddOn.Description>

<AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Effects</Category>
        <Path>D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\Effects</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Scenery</Category>
        <Path>D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\scenery</Path>
        <Name>RTMM-TWChugach-2 Scenery</Name>
    </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Scenery</Category>
        <Path>D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\scenery\world</Path>
        <Name>RTMM-TWChugach-2-World Scenery</Name>
        <Layer>3</Layer>
    </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Texture</Category>
        <Path>D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\texture</Path>
        <Type>WORLD</Type>    (Can also be <Type>GLOBAL</Type>)
    </AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
        <Category>SimObjects</Category>
        <Path>D:\Addon Scenery\RTMM\TWChugach-2\AIShips</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>

</SimBase.Document>

So all the files under these paths once added will start up when you start your sim.

Hope this example helps?

Norm
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 12:15:34 PM by nbrich1 »

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 03:55:00 PM »
thanks.
I note the world\ scenery goes as layer 3.
surely you can't do that with all other world scenery files. wouldn't they all be trying to go in as layer 3 simultaneously??

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
Yes and no... They are all layer 3 but each is stacked within their own scenery layer - within block 3 and they are not all in one folder but to each their own if that makes any sense.

It's like having many folders of simobjects - each is at the same level but each are separate folders that can be turned off or on. 

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 10:35:24 PM »
Norm - yes i think i understand thanks to your sim objects analogy.

thanks for the example, it looks exactly what i wanted.
i think i'm basically correct in my procedure except i don't put world scenery as layer 3 or in the same xml folder. i was creating a separate add-on xml for the world scenery and putting that under the main scenery entry in the library.
you  have been a great help.
i'm off to experiment.
cheers.
Garry

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 09:55:39 AM »
Norm
A quick update..

Had to reinstall P3D et al and after many days of reinstallation I now have everything running ok. I even took the time to organise things so that future reinstalls will be a lot quicker.

I used your example to install Airports of Norway's AI Global Shipping. I created a xml file in a folder "AI Global Shipping' and put it in P3D Add Ons Folder.
Lorby picked it up as an add-on package but told me I had an illegal character in the xml file [it turns out you cannot use an ampersand in a folder name - but I expect you know that]. So after making the necessary corrections everything was fine, the world scenery was added to the scenery library at layer 3 and the sim objects, sound, effects files were added to the Lorby database automatically.

I cannot thank you enough because it means that now I do not have to be forced to install into the root dir if a program has scenery\world\scenery files because now I know how to deal with them and it enables me to make future re-installs less painful.

Cheers!

kaha

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 11:23:40 AM »
Josh, I also use the xml method and here the Ampersand works (Misty's Place).

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

Garry

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
Karl

Just to be clear - the problem seemed to lie in the fact that the folder name I was referencing in the add-on xml text contained an ampersand. When I removed the ampersand from that folder name and re-referenced in the xml file the problem was solved.

Are you using  Lorby?

Btw-what folder in Mistys Place has an ampersand? I've just checked my Mistys Place folders [v4.6] and can't see one.

Josh

kaha

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 07:09:16 PM »
I'm not using Lorby-si.

I named my Misty's Place Folder (the one that contains the "Scenery" folder) "Misty's Place". That folder is referenced in the xml, see attached screenshot.

Karl
i9-9900K@5.0 | RTX 3080TI | 55" 4K | MSFS2020

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 08:54:35 PM »
Keep in mind that XML is a data file format that gets parsed by the sim and has a few traditionally reserved characters.

I think they are    <    &     >      "      '

If you are having trouble getting the sim to pickup your xml input, I would first make sure you don't have those reserved characters in the data you are supplying.

Rod