Author Topic: Ice Skating Rink?  (Read 1992 times)

mllgrennman

Ice Skating Rink?
« on: November 14, 2018, 12:25:40 PM »
Hi. I would like to make an ice rink.

I was thinking a frozen pond?

I see a lot of frozen ponds in the sceneries but I have no idea how to make one.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Ice Skating Rink?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:58:58 PM »
What programs are you using?  You could scout out a suitable pond that freezes in winter, then build the "rink" around it.  I think OLC places the water features in the terrain and determines if they freeze in winter or not.  Rod could probably tell you about creating a pond in the scenery, maybe.   :-\

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Ice Skating Rink?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »
It is important to note that frozen water is not a feature of FSX or P3D.   When you see frozen ponds or lakes, you are seeing that because of the add-on scenery that features that.   In RTMM's case, we are talking scenery like ORBX regions (e.g. Southern Alaska).   It is important to not that ORBX initially designed their freezing water capabilities around FSX.  When P3D came on the scene, the anomaly that ORBX used to create freezing water was a bit compromised.  As a result, there are many of us who fly with the freezing water option off due to some unwanted side effects.

Making your own pond that freezes in the winter and is open water in the summer is doable given the right scenery development tools, custom textures and significant scenery development experience.  Do you have that kind of experience?

If not, I would go with Jeff's advice. 

Rod