Author Topic: Recommended starter areas and aircraft please  (Read 2802 times)

Kev73

Recommended starter areas and aircraft please
« on: November 11, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
Hello,
    Thank you for the welcome's in the 'I'm new' section recently. I have purchased ORBX Pacific Fjords and Ketchikan airport and installed the object libraries as well as 'Misty's Place' - my goodness what amazing work you have all done, it is amazing, especially like the Welsh flag hanging with the others (being Welsh, it was nice to see it in a flight sim away from Cardiff airport, lol).

Anyway, i read somewhere about 'packs' of locations that can be added rather than adding individual locations/airstrips but i cannot find them for the love of me. At the moment the only thing i have installed are Ketchikan Airport (from ORBX)and Misty's place. Would prefer land-based airstrips to start with, and will move onto the water take offs and landings once i have some air-miles under my belt. if anyone could recommend any nice starter airfields/airports etc. to start exploring this amazing land that would be awesome, would prefer easier approaches to begin with if possible, well as easy as things get here out in the bush.

Secondly, i do not have any suitable aircraft for flying around this area (just had a little look around Misty's place and KetchiKan in the default trike that comes with fsx), could anyone suggest a nice all-rounder plane for exploring these areas please. I have my eye on the Milviz Beaver as apart from looking nice and having a gps system, seems to have had favorable reviews as well. Could anyone suggest any other possible planes (needs to have gps due to my non-existent navigation skills which i WILL learn eventually but at the moment just want to go exploring this area) that have options for tundra tires as well as floats ready for when i move onto the water landings.

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) offering some suggestions.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Recommended starter areas and aircraft please
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 04:46:15 PM »
Hello Kev,
     We don't have "packs".  All locations are individual.  That being said, some downloads do contain several locations.  The SIRP and CIRP icefield research projects, and The Western Chugach parts I & II for example, have multiple landing points along their routes.  RTMM requires a certain amount of patience and discipline during installation.  But the end result is a beauty to behold.   
     I recommend flying out of Misty's Place to nearby airstrips first.  That way you can learn your way around the area.  Get a copy of the KMZ file and put it into GoogleEarth, and you've got a top-down view of the entire area, with locations marked.  Fly to Annette Island and back a few times, to get your bearings and practice runway and airstrip landings.  Annette Island is a proper concrete airport and gravel strip, while Misty's place is more rugged and kinda in a hole.  Not really, but you've gotta descend over a hill just before the threshold, and has always been a thrilling landing for me.  Coming in from the north is not nearly as exciting.   Check out all the locations that are available on the Scenery page, and pick one (download/install) and fly to it.
     For planes, I like to use an amphibian beaver.  I prefer the relative simplicity of the Aerosoft BeaverX over the Milviz Beaver.  But I am not a "real" pilot.  To each their own.  The amphibian can land anywhere.  The beaver has high mounted broad wings, and is highly maneuverable at slow speeds.  There are many planes available out there for free, I bet. 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Kev73

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
Thanks for the reply, like yourself i like to keep things simple and after a little more research have ruled out the Milviz Beaver as the gps is an optional (ie costs more money) addon, so back to the drawing board for that.
Regarding the Google Earth file, i have downloaded and added it to google earth but all it comes up with is what is in the image attached, there are no options to find any of the strips etc.
I have been amusing myself flying back and fourth from Ketchikan airport to Misty's place and back several times in the default cessna 172. I will start flying to and from Annette Island now. That will give me plenty to keep amused with while searching for a nice bush plane to really start exploring with.
Thanks again.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »
Kev ... Take a look at the GoTo table. CLICK HERE  You will find many "groups" that are like packs. If you do a search for "Missing Cabins" ... you'll find a whole group of cabins that you can download with one file, activate and you'll have HOURS of fun flying to them. "Owikeeno" is another one.  The groups are in the RIGHT HAND column colored in BOLD RED.

If you go on down to the table toward the bottom of the page, you'll find the abbreviations for all those groups and a list of them.

There are over 700 locations to download ... not everybody has them all ... they download what they enjoy.  The GoTo table can make some other choices for you too. Let's say you only have Tongass X.  If you search for TFX ... you'll get all of the locations within that scenery package. Same for SAK or Pacific NorthWest PNW, etc. Don't forget, the search results start at only 10. You can open that up to 100 and see most of the things within your search parameter.

Another "group" is the USFS cabins. We have every USFS cabin in Alaska on the table. Most of the cabins you download WITHIN Tongass X, SAK and PFJ (Pacific Fjords). You already have them. But there is a "MISSING CABINS" group that you can download which gives you more than 100 more of them ... with ONE download.  So you can have hours of fun by downloading these groups and learning how to play with the GoTo table.  You'll also see Cabins by the Lakes I and II ... there are about 50 or more cabins in these two groups.

At present, You'll see Norm and I are doing a major revision on it. We are putting in the flight numbers for the MFC (Misty Flying Club) routes. Every location we have has a route to it. You can go to Here2There and download the RTMM Flight Plans.zip and you'll have over 700 flight plans at your disposal.

Also on the GoTo table, you'll find a map of the flight plan for each location. So you can see where it is, look at the difficulty, or length of the flight and make a decision whether or no to download that particular scenery location.

That's how to "start". It will give you HOURS and HOURS of flying time with only downloading a FEW locations. We all get used to downloading a "whole package" ... and at RTMM, it is just too large to do. So you download what YOU want to fly. Your choice.  Make the GoTo table work for you and be your guide as to what you download next. Add them as you want to fly them, if you stick with it, one day you'll have them all.

Hope this helps.
Doug

bawheeler

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 10:06:17 PM »
Kev, Welcome!  I recently upgraded to P3D and with that bought the MILVIZ Beaver.  The standard model has GPS which can be activated via the MILVIZ management software (Pick MILVIZ 530/430 GPS).  I have been very happy with the plane.  You have to get your feet wet with the floats in RTMM!

The Google Earth image you showed doesn't appear to have all the scenery areas.  I would try reloading that KML file.  There should be about 7 folders underneath the main folder.

I dedicate a laptop with dual screens to following my flight in Google Earth via a feed from FlightSim Commander (that requires FSUIPC/WideFS software to broadcast the plane's location on my WiFi network). It's very helpful for navigating to all the RTMM scenery, checking elevations, and seeing what's around for future flights.

When I first started, it was overwhelming trying to decide where to go.  I decided to randomly work though the alphabet on the GoTo Table. I started with all flights beginning with certain letters and have only completed 4.5 letters!).  However, that's 158 flights so far and it has taken me to all parts of RTMM. See what scenery you need in the table and get that squared away first.  As was mentioned, the USFS cabins are great to visit (get your floats). I have bagged 100 of them so far in the flights above.

Brian
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

Doug

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:47:23 AM »
Brian ... good for you! Someone is finally taking advantage of the GoTo table. I think this is the best way way to get started.  We always think we have to have EVERYTHING. But imagine if you downloaded the entire FlightSim.com, libraries and all, so you would have EVERYTHING ... it doesn't make sense. You only download what you NEED.  And what a person "needs" at RTMM is the NEXT flight.  Just tracking down the USFS cabins (already included) can give you HOURS of flying time, add the MISSING CABINS and CABINS ON THE LAKES I and II and you have a couple hundred more!

The GoTo table can help you decide what you want to fly NEXT. If you only have PFJ, then you do a search for PFJ filtering out anything that is not PFJ ... then pick from what the filtered data gives you.  Thanks for your input, great post!

Doug

simurq

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »
Regarding the Google Earth file, i have downloaded and added it to google earth but all it comes up with is what is in the image attached, there are no options to find any of the strips etc.

Welcome to RTMM, Kev73!  ;)

You can always find the updated Google Earth map here. Hope it helps!
Vüqar "Rustam" Quliyev

Kev73

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 04:27:33 PM »
That is brilliant, simurq, google earth now works  :)
Wow! This scenery is amazing. Have completed 4 flights this evening just in the default 172 g1000, 3 of which were vfr flights in the amazing flight plan download. All i did was set the altitude and hit autopilot to enjoy the scenery (sure i spotted one of those cabins along one of the routes). Will be buying a bush plane with floats on the weekend to start getting stuck into things on here. Think it is going to take quite a while :)

Doug

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »
Kev ... That Aerosoft Beaver amphib is a great plane, it is my favorite, we have a lot of paints for it to if you look at the repaints page.  A lot of the other floats/amphibs are sort of built in problems, nice planes, but then they are hard to turn, or stop, etc.  Check out the reviews on them before you plunk down the money.

Glad you are getting into the flight plans. We've updated the RTMM_Flight_Plans.zip just today. Lots of little updates on it as we work on the GoTo table getting everything to match.

And I've got to get the Google Earth program up there on the GoTo table page so more people are aware of it. It shows EVERY place we have so folks can again use it as a tool to decide where they want to fly. One of the best things we've added ... Simurk really brought us a jewel with that addition. (THANK YOU!)

Kev73

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 07:01:26 PM »
Thank you Doug, I am 99% certain I will be getting the Aerosoft Beaver, nothing against the others, just seems to be a bit more user friendly for someone like myself (never have been and never will be a real pilot) as some of the other versions have a little too many realistic features for someone like myself who is fairly new to flight sim.
Will have to get the updated flight plans as i have a great time this evening just flying (i use the term loosely as the gps was doing all the work) several plane and enjoying the scenery while thinking i really need to get a plane with floats soon.