Author Topic: X-Plane and a future with MM  (Read 5480 times)

karlh

X-Plane and a future with MM
« on: July 14, 2017, 03:41:37 AM »
Hi,

I'm one of the folks that stops by from time to time to see what's new. I've been a low-n-slow guy for some time now. Have many like minded vPilots with the group that I spend time with @ msFlights.net.

I get more and more hooked on X-Plane the more time I spend with it. This month I rediscovered my copy of Idaho Exposed. We did a flight around those strips several years ago. It didn't work well because the group at the time was unappreciative of the issues that go along with people having different meshes/sceneries and such.

Since that time most of us have become Active Sky and Orbx addicts.

A search of the forums makes it look like X-Plane isn't really a topic amongst the MM die hards? Is that accurate? How many of you folks use X-Plane as well?

I did a lot of questioning while I was at Flight Sim Con last month. While nobody is down and out, XP11 is certainly far in the lead for taking over the mantle of the go to flight sim of the future. With Orbx electing not to work with the X-Plane folks it is a great opportunity to port some Fjords.
Karl, server admin/slave with msFlights.net

I-7, GTX770, 16GB, all the sims except FSW & AeroFly

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: X-Plane and a future with MM
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:37:12 AM »
Sorry klarlh. As clearly stated on our "Home Page":

"Because of the success of the previous Misty Moorings, Inc website for FS2004, we have been asked by many of our previous fans to create an FSX, FSX-DX10, Prepar3D version. This is it!"

Therefore, RTMM is a massive website and community of users dedicated to flight simulation based on the MS FSX and LM P3D platforms as well as being centered around the prerequisite ORBX and TF base scenery regions. Period. Based upon that underlying criteria there are no plans whatsoever to expand into X-Plane and never will be.  I'm sure you can find X-Plane scenery in abundance elsewhere.

Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »
Also, with the amount of scenery design tools for XPlane, I bet some XPlane folks could create some RTMM like sceneries.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »
Not without ORBX, Ryan.Not even close.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 01:30:06 AM »
No doubt, Ryan is spot on.  ORBX added a third sim to their scenery efforts and it was AeroFlyFS2, not xPlane....that should tell you a lot.  P3Dv4 still has a ways to go, but now 64 bit, they have the resources that apparently XP did not.  Now FS2 doesn't fly where I want to, so that's not an option. RTMM has created a masterful library that would keep any Bush Pilot happy for a lifetime.  There is even a VA dedicated to ORBX and RTMM....I know, shameless plug.....but if you fly in the bush, you won't have a huge hanger of airplanes...most operators have one or two in a lifetime, but where you fly is endless.....and RTMM along with ORBX delivers just that.  I just don't think there is enough interest in XP or for the moment FS2 to consider an addition.....I am sure you like xp, but IMHO that's the way it is.

Henry

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
RTMM sceneries are one of kind, ORBX or not. Since they don't have it, I guess they could make some of their own sceneries for X-Plane, but they wouldn't have quite the level of immersion that we have with ORBX.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

Japo32

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:24:51 AM »
Is a same (but understandable because the ammount of work) that this huge scenery wouldn't be translated into Xplane11. Helicopters are very very very bad in P3D, and we have some good ammount of missions of them here in RTMM.
It seems that ORBX is moving to xplane finally with their screenshots of Holand. Maybe again they retreat and don't do it, or maybe yes... That way if finally they would convert their created scenaries into XPlane, would be much more easy to create the same level as we have in ORBX P3D-FSX right now, but with decent (incredible) helicopters there.
Said by someone that was working in Laminar Research for long time, and that makes now planes for XPlane as the CRJ200 or Jetstream 32.

cheers.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 04:57:10 AM »
The biggest reason for not doing RTMM scenery for X-Plane is that none of the RTMM team of developers and support staff even own X-Plane, yet alone even know or understand how it works. It's taken years for each of us to learn the ins and outs of MS based flight simulators. For each of us it's been huge learning curve that's literally taken years and enormous amounts of money invested in related software! I personally started learning what I know by learning, working and developing in MSFS5, MSFS98, MSFS2001, FS9 and FSX. Knowing "what's under the hood" in order to do what we do as a team has been a HUGE undertaking for all of us.

An X-Plane and RTMM marriage isn't going to happen, IMO. Sorry.

EDIT: Forgot to add untold hours fiddling with MS Combat Flight Simulator and MS Combat Flight Simulator 2
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:00:20 AM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »
The biggest reason for not doing RTMM scenery for X-Plane is that none of the RTMM team of developers and support staff even own X-Plane, yet alone even know or understand how it works. It's taken years for each of us to learn the ins and outs of MS based flight simulators. For each of us it's been huge learning curve that's literally taken years and enormous amounts of money invested in related software! I personally started learning what I know by learning, working and developing in MSFS5, MSFS8, MSFS2001, FS9 and FSX. Knowing "what's under the hood" in order to do what we do as a team has been a HUGE undertaking for all of us.

An X-Plane and RTMM marriage isn't going to happen, IMO. Sorry.

Ditto.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Japo32

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
Yes, I totally understand the big step to make something after years of learning.
For that reason I always try to show my work to others to let them create things by their own. In term of sceneries I don't have too much done, but I shared what I knew. In term of planes, I share everyday my work to people, in case they want to become friends (not husbands) of xplane.  ;)
Here my last creation in process of beeing created (see in youtube to jump to any more recent video)

&index=1

In case someone needs some help, you know who call.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:12:10 AM by Japo32 »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 11:05:17 AM »
Thanks for your understanding our reasons regarding RTMM's position to not develop X-Plane scenery. It isn't who we are and never will be. While your video is interesting, it doesn't apply to anything even remotely related to RTMM nor our mission to work within the FSX\P3D platform. I'm sure your video is better suited for posting and discussion on an X-Plane oriented site where it would be understood and appreciated. Thanks for visiting us and enjoying what we have to offer completely without cost.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Japo32

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
Sure is a great contribution!! free and updated, that is something not seen these days!! Thankyou all, millions!

fltsimguy

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
Ah, I just found this old post regarding a discussion on XP.
No issues, was just looking to see what opportunity there might be regarding RTMM for XP.
Bryan Wallis
aka the "fltsimguy"
Duncan, BC

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
Hi Bryan,
     Yep, this thread sums it up pretty good.   ;) 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P