Author Topic: Charter flight to Middle of Nowhere?  (Read 2498 times)

emko

Charter flight to Middle of Nowhere?
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:54:32 AM »
Hi!

What should I put into Cigar Box's destination field if I want to fly to a place which doesn't have a destination code, please?

When filing an ICAO flight plan (if I am not mistaken) the pilots put 'ZZZZ' into the destination field and put a 'DEST/' remark into the remark field. However here the 'ZZZZ' designation probably confused the system a little bit.

I flew from Anchorage (LHD) to Crescent Lake cabin

http://www.mistymooringsflyingclub.com/index.php/pireps/view/3574
http://www.mistymooringsflyingclub.com/index.php/pireps/view/3575

and when the pireps were accepted the system awarded me the "10K flight miles" badge.

1) What is the correct procedure to file such charter flight, please?
2) Can this badge be taken away from me, plese? I want it when I deserve it ;-) .

Thanks!

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Charter flight to Middle of Nowhere?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:45:22 AM »
Well Martin there has been a problem from the onset with mileages totaling/calculating correctly to/from non-ICAO locations even-though the system can see the closest airport to the non-icao location.

You did the charter flights correct - and your showed the route correcty (perfect matter of fact).  You might note in your 1st pirep that the log showed you landing 4.58 miles from Nearest Airport: JLA which is Quartz Creek Airport).
In your 2nd pirep, the system captured your start location being 4.43 miles from JLA (Quartz Creek Airport). You know that is was Cresent Lake Cabin. The system doesn't know the location name as Cresent Lake Cabin yet cause I haven't defined it yet but it is capturing these non-icao locations correctly by putting your location by the closest defined icao location (in your case your location was under a 5 miles radius of JLA.) However the top pilot module stats is not correctly totaling the mileages of these non-Icao locations.

This mileage miscalculation has been previously mentioned in other posts here. Still working on it. I left the mileage awards Live/Active but will make them inactive until mileage is rectified. (Will also remove the 10K award off your profile)

(Nice job by the way Martin).

Norm
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 09:54:11 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
Martin.....Norm touched on the problem, let me expand.  The base program that most on line flying use is way outdated and has had problems for years.  In those same years, 3rd party supplies have written various programs...one being Top Pilot another Tour Center both programs we use.  The good news is that there is a new base program in the works that hopefully will solve most of the programs problems.  Time will tell.  But....., since this is a freeware program and supported by the community, progress is very slow.  The milage in Top Pilot is simply not right and no one wants to try to fix it.  Errors are most noticeable in higher milage....those that don't fly as much seem to be correct.  So......the obvious solution is to drop Top Pilot or, if possible, the mileage portion, and to eliminate mileage awards.  But we loose a few good things that are working.  In the meantime, we are trying to eliminate only the parts that are in error....we will let you know if there is any progress.

Henry
Misty Moorings Team

emko

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 02:51:42 AM »
Thanks for replies. No problem with that, even commercial (and expensive) software have problems. Couple of years ago I stumbled across a bug report which had been some 10 years old. I tried to contact the reporter only to learn he had already passed away :-D .

The system here is very good even it has a glitch here and there. Since the requirements of Misty's Flying Club are so specific I don't expect everything to be perfect, especially when an opensource or free software is used. You have been doing a remarkable job! Thanks!

doksas

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 03:17:30 PM »
Hi to all, i have one question and i think this topic is ok for this, if not ok please move it, thanks.

Question: Flights outside Alaska is ok for cigar box pireps or must flight only in Alaska?
ie flights around Europe, Africa etc

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
MFC VA/Cigar Box  is the area of "RTMM territory" which consists of Alaska, Yukon, BC,  Northern Alberta,  Northern - Washington "and vacinity".  That is the area covered by RTMM. The rest of the world is outside the RTMM areas of flying.   

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

doksas

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 06:29:36 PM »
Thanks Norm !

doksas

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
Just to say, Alaska and RTTM are great for flying but i just discovered and inspired by this topic to make myself world tour in Piper Cub.  :D
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19649&hilit=around+the+world

My Piper is ready i make the same livery and i am sorry because Cigar box not for this great world tour things...