Author Topic: Wakes, no boats RTMM AI Shipping v2.0  (Read 7982 times)

Hangar24

Wakes, no boats RTMM AI Shipping v2.0
« on: August 03, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »
I'm reinstalling everything on my new PC and I'm having trouble with the AI Shipping.  On some of the ships/boats I can see the wakes but there is no boat visible.  I've been able to identify two of them using Little NavMap.  Windjammer_sm and Westerdam_sm the boat is missing.  I suspect there are many more it's taking me a lot of time to chase them down. 

These seem to be the boats with _sm at the end of the folder and file name.  I notice they have a sim.cfg file in the folder instead of an aircraft.cfg.  However I have seen Chenega_sm and Summit_III_sm.

I'm totally confused why some are visible and some not.  I'm using P3D v4.3.  Hope someone can help me.
Jim
Today's Forecast:  Warm with occasional beers.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Wakes, no boats RTMM AI Shipping v2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 09:42:31 PM »
Hi Jim,
     I'm not sure yet, but wanted you to know you've been noticed.  I saw this when you posted it earlier.  I don't want to guess what the issue might be.  Someone here will have an answer, I'm sure.   :P

What area did you notice the ghost wakes?  I'd like to go take a look at my system.  Could you post coordinates please.   :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:54:50 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
I'm reinstalling everything on my new PC and I'm having trouble with the AI Shipping.  On some of the ships/boats I can see the wakes but there is no boat visible.  I've been able to identify two of them using Little NavMap.  Windjammer_sm and Westerdam_sm the boat is missing.  I suspect there are many more it's taking me a lot of time to chase them down. 

These seem to be the boats with _sm at the end of the folder and file name.  I notice they have a sim.cfg file in the folder instead of an aircraft.cfg.  However I have seen Chenega_sm and Summit_III_sm.

I'm totally confused why some are visible and some not.  I'm using P3D v4.3.  Hope someone can help me.

Hi Hangar24,

I am not sure your problem is with the Shipping Project.    If you look inside the RTMM AI Shipping v2.0 scenery folder that you downloaded, there is a file named "Uninstall RTMMAISP.txt".  Point number 4 lists all of the folders created by the RTMM AI Shipping Project v2.0 scenery addon.  That list does not include a Windjammer_sm or Westerdam_sm folder.

One thing that can cause wakes with no boats is if you are missing models in your SimObjects\Boats folder.   Don't worry about sim.cfg vs. aircraft.cfg.   Some AI Boats use one method and some another.  However, everyone of the boat folders should have a model folder and inside that folder should be a .mdl file.  Don't worry about the name of the .mdl file for now.  Just make sure one is there.

Rod

Hangar24

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I didn't take a screenshot unfortunately.  Will do that at first opportunity to get the coordinates.  I was running between Haines 3Z9 and Hawk Inlet HWI when I noticed the ships on Little NavMap and went for a closer look.  Only seeing the wakes of the Windjammer and Westerdam.  Other ships in the area were good.

I must add that I did a manual install rechecking everything over and over.  I notice there is a readme text file in the model folder that states
Note: The RTMM SAKAISP Installer copied the .mdl file contained in this folder from its original location in your ...\FSX\SimObjects\Boats folder set.  The .mdl original location (which can be found by doing a search on the .mdl file) may contain specific copyright information pertaining to this .mdl file.
but there is no .mdl file in the model folder.  I'm not sure where or which .mdl file was suppose to be copied.

I'm wondering if I should do an auto install to get those .mdl files copied although I don't have FSX installed.  I'm using P3D v4.3. 

Just read your reply Rod.  There is no mdl file in that folder.  The Windjammer texture is in the Veh_TF_Fishing_Boat_sm folder.  I see now that's suppose to be Tongass Fjords.  The Westerdam texture is in the veh_Volendam_sm folder.  All created by the RTMM AI Shipping installer using manual install.

Getting more confusing all the time.  Can you run a manual install outside of your sims and take a look. 
Jim

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 12:27:08 AM »
Hangar24,

Well first of all....I thought you were talking folders and, in fact, you were talking textures.  So, though it is confusing to read your comments, I think you are saying that there is no .mdl file inside the model folder which is inside the Veh_TF_Fishing_Boat_sm folder and there is no .mdl file inside the model folder which is inside the veh_Volendam_sm .  Yes, both those folders are Shipping Project folders.

If you are missing those .mdl files, then the manual install should have given you messages that those files were missing.  Maybe you missed the messages that tells you which .mdl files it couldn't find.

The model file that is supposed to be with the Veh_TF_Fishing_Boat_sm folder is vessel.mdl
The model file that is supposed to be with the veh_Volendam_sm folder is volendam.mdl

The vessel.mdl file originates from TFX's AI_Vessel_TF_Fishing_Boat_FSX folder.
The volendam.mdl file originates from TFX's AI_Vessel_TF_Volendam_FSX folder.
If those two TFX folders above are not in your P3D\SimObjects folder path then the shipping project won't find the models. 

Rod

dexthom

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
You covered it well Rod.  The user must have FSADDON's Tongass Fjords installed to use the model files from
the fishing boats and the Holland America cruise ships.

Hangar24

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:37:14 AM »
Ok here's where I ran into problems.  I have Tongass Fjords installed outside of the P3D main directory.  And I wanted to install the AI Shipping Package outside the P3D main directory also so I did a manual install and edited the appropriate config files in the LM Program Data directory to point to the correct location including the simobjects.cfg file.

So when I ran the manual install of the AI Shipping Package it didn't find the mdl files to copy.  I don't recall any error messages.

These are the folders with the missing mdl files:

AI_Vessel_Fishing_Boat
AI_Vessel_TF_Matanuska_FSX
AI_Vessel_Volendam_FSX
veh_CG_Patrol_sm
veh_Princess_sm
Veh_TF_Fishing_Boat_sm  (copy vessel.mdl file from AI_Vessel_TF_Fishing_Boat_FSX)
veh_Volendam_sm  (copy volendam.mdl file from AI_Vessel_TF_Volendam_FSX)

If you can confirm for me where to copy the mdl files from, I think I can fix up my install.  It's becoming obvious now but I don't want to guess.  Otherwise I think I need to put Tongass Fjords in the main P3D directory and and run the auto install of the AI Shipping Package.

I really want to thank each of you for your help and your time.  Thank you, I appreciate it! 

Jim
Jim

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 02:29:34 PM »
Hi Jim,

I was going to ask you if you had installed TFX outside of P3D main directory.   But I figured nobody would do that.  A scenery package solely built for FSX should never be installed outside of the main Sim Directory.   For example,  the TFX package was built expecting the FSAddon folder to be underneath the main Sim directory as will as the SimObjects folder etc.   The results of running TFX when not in the main sim directory hierarchy are unpredictable and should not be done.   

In addition, the AI Shipping Package v2.0 must have TFX installed in the main sim directory as it was designed or, as you have discovered, it will not work propoerly.   I will ask Doug to put a note on TFX info that it should never be separated from the main directory. 

As a side comment, unless you are dealing with a fully packaged installer that supports P3Dv4 add-on usage I would always install packages into the main sim directory tree.   Disk space is cheap but debugging problems that can occur when you  distribute installed scenery not built to be distributed can cost a user an enormous amount of time figuring out what went wrong.

I will however answer your question and you can decide what you want to do for yourself:

AI_Vessel_Fishing_Boat      vessel.mdl
AI_Vessel_TF_Matanuska_FSX      Matanuska.mdl
AI_Vessel_Volendam_FSX     Volendam.mdl
veh_CG_Patrol_sm         uscg.mdl
veh_Princess_sm       princees.mdl

I can't tell you where to copy the mdl file from because the shipping package searches the main sim directory and its children for the proper mdl files.  However, of course, you can do the same search to find them wherever you put TFX.

Hope you are able to get it all working now.

Rod

Hangar24

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 02:44:50 PM »
Ok thanks Rod!  I've moved everything into the main P3D directory.  Seems the best practice and I hope no more problems.   :)

Jim
Jim

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
Hi Jim,

Ok.  We are here if any more problems.

Rod