Author Topic: Virus found  (Read 7499 times)

BBQSteve

Virus found
« on: July 30, 2018, 09:41:00 AM »
Windows Defender has found the win32/Tilkeen.B!cl Trojan in the recently downloaded Season Switcher. Anyone else experienced this?

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Virus found
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »
Yes the season switcher exe triggers the windows 10 virus scanner and deletes the file.
You have to add an exception entry for the Season Switcher scenery folder.. then the extract the season switcher zip in that folder and it will work with no exceptions: cause the windows 10 virus scanner will not eat the RTMM Season Switcher v3.3.exe file).

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

BBQSteve

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »
Thanks, but does it actually contain a Trojan?

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »
Lol no.. of course not.. just a executable that changes the rtmm seasonal scenery files and doesn't contain any virus.
Norm
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:04:30 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

BBQSteve

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 01:25:38 PM »
I know what it is, question is why does it come up as containing a trojan. I googled it and it is in fact a trojan.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:31:40 PM »
Come on, do you think we'd host a file for several years that is infected with a Trojan? This issue has been put to rest in the past.  Read the FAQ page under Season Switcher. Google obviously lied.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:02:04 PM by ualani »
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Penzoil3

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »
 8)
ESET says it is clean. I trust ESET a lot more than Microsnot.
 LOL
  Sue

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
I trust Rod, Jeff and  Doug on things like this more than Google, MS and ESET combined.

Steve
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:11:14 PM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
There are NO viruses in the RTMM Season Switcher v3.3.  I have used it since its inception, with no issues.  I've never seen a virus warning for it on my system.  Works just fine.  Thanks Rod.  ;) 8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
Please post the link that claims it's a trojan.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »
Hi BBQSteve,

Three members of the RTMM Staff have told you that the file does not contain a Trojan.
Right after your initial post you were advised by Norm of this "false postive" problem and told how to bypass the false positive    But yet you then posted this statement asking why does it happen right after Norm told you:

I know what it is, question is why does it come up as containing a trojan. I googled it and it is in fact a trojan.

You were also directed by ualani to look at the FAQ on The Season Switcher that states quite clearly (in red at the top) that downloading the RTMM Season Switcher can trigger your anti-virus to give a false positive response.   Here is the link if you are unable to find the correct FAQ:

http://return.mistymoorings.com/faq/#s

So, there is no question that the error you got was a "false positive" which happens sometimes with virus scanners.   My question to you at this point is, now that you have checked with RTMM and verified that it is a false positive,  were you then able to bypass the virus scanner block and download the file?

It is important that you have a working RTMM Season Switcher because the upcoming release of The Western Chugach - Part 2 is very seasonal and really shines when the Season Switcher is used properly.

Let us know.

Rod

BBQSteve

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 03:44:34 PM »
Thanks Rod, yes I was able to unzip and utilize the switcher and it worked well. You may not recall that this isn't my first problem with the switcher and W10. The first time, 10 would not allow me to run the switcher at all. I had to install the switcher on a W7 computer and move all the files, run the switcher and move them back in order to utilize the switcher file. So when I upgraded this computer and loaded W10 Pro and came up with second proble, this one, perhaps you can see my apprehension. Reading the undated FAQ NOTAM did not give me that warm and fuzzy feeling, added to the Google info, so I posted.

Sorry if these posts got some peoples pants in a wad, but better safe than sorry. I spent a month on this build and reloading everything and not wanting to jeopardize it all, I questioned.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »
Uhhh Steve......I asked you to provide a link that claims it, the Season Switcher, is or contains a Trojan. However, not one of your links says anything that your Trojan was found in the Switcher, or anything related to RTMM for that matter. All you did was provide some links describing that Trojan, or that someone had found that particular one infecting their system. Again I ask, why would we purposely and knowingly host a file for several years containing a virus? No one is slaying the messenger here, just trying to inform what has already proven to be wrong, discussed and posted multiple times.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BBQSteve

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »
Misunderstood you. Here you go big guy:

http://i.prntscr.com/OxFAl-JtSpKbnRMjdtamkw.png
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:07:46 PM by BBQSteve »