Author Topic: Elevation Issues in PNW  (Read 3090 times)

jstanbro

Elevation Issues in PNW
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
I have just had to have my SSDs replaced, and I am now trying to reinstall everything including RTMM (which I love).  I am using FSX:SE with Windows 10.  I have installed all the Orbx North American regions and some Orbx airports using FTX Central 3, Traffic Global early access, and FS Global 2010 so far. The attached screen shot shows the active runway at KSEA.  I believe it has to be a scenery order problem, but I can't figure it out. I seem to have everything in the order suggested here at RTMM.  The same sort of problem exists at Friday Harbor and other PNW airports, but not in other regions. At least San Francisco and Los Angeles seem ok - I haven't tried everywhere.

Has anyone had a similar issue?  Any suggestions?  Could the problem be that I don't have the FTX edition of FS Global 2010?  I would hate to uninstall it and find it isn't the problem.

Thanks,
Jerry
"The hardest thing about flying is the ground." - Charles Kingford-Smith

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Elevation Issues in PNW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 07:56:22 PM »
Hi Jerry,
It's hard to see your screenshot, but have you made sure that your mesh is set to 5M? Just my first thought.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

dbutterf

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »
Also don't forget the AEC in Vector.
Dayle
P3D v4 WIN 10 Pro i5-4670 CPU @ 3.4GHz 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Penzoil3

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:22:48 PM »

jstanbro

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 09:09:01 PM »
Thanks for all of your suggestions, and I apologize for the bad screenshot.

I've investigated and my mesh is set to 5m, the AES file is second from the bottom of the Scenery Library just above the two defaults, and my insertion points seem ok (thanks for the link!  I've set the insertion points before but I didn't really understand what I was doing.)

I went back to KSEA to redo the screenshot, and something strange has happened.  The issue used to be a giant cliff directly in front of the plane on runway 34R, but it now looks completely different (screenshot attached, I hope...).  Not correct, just different. I swear that I didn't change a single setting in FSX.  I did take a short flight from Juneau to Gustavus yesterday just to check to see if Southern Alaska was ok (and it is - the elevation issues seem to be confined to PNW, yet it looks just the same as the other regions in the Scenery Library).

If you know of anything else I can check I would appreciate your suggestions.  If not, I can try the Orbx forum, but I wanted to ask here first because people at RTMM are very knowledgeable, experienced, and friendly. I really can't wait to get RTMM reinstalled. 

dbutterf

Dayle
P3D v4 WIN 10 Pro i5-4670 CPU @ 3.4GHz 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Let's try to narrow this down.   Assuming you have your scenery in the proper order, all of the FTX Global products are not a factor as ORBX regions override all Global parameters.  Playing with AEC or any other Global tool should not affect an ORBX Region.

Your picture of KSEA shows a pretty corrupt view.  My first question is what is the view if you disable the 4 PNW files in the Scenery Library:  FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY, FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX, FTX_NA_PNW07_MESH, FTX_NA_PNW08_CUSTOM?   Then you would be looking at FSX KSEA.  On that side of the airport at about 1200 to 1500 feet you would see two runways 34R and 34L and none of the crazy anomalies in your pic.   The PNW KSEA view from that altitude should show 3 runways 34R 34C and 34L without the anomalies in your pic.

If the view looks fine once you turn off the 4 PNW files, then I suspect your next move should probably be to uninstall PNW because the PNW install might be corrupt.  You may need to replace your PNW files if you have them stored in a library for reinstall.   Then reinstall PNW.   ORBX has instructions on how to uninstall a region.

If, instead, the view looks bad with the 4 PNW files turned off then you might have a FSX corruption issues though it would seem unlikely with only one specific region being affected.

Since this is sounding like an ORBX issue, you might also want to post your pic on their board.

Rod

Rod

jstanbro

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your time and patience and expertise.  After unchecking and checking, uninstalling and reinstalling, and re-running the Orbx AES tool, everything seems to work. Now I can start reinstalling RTMM.
Thanks again,
Jerry