Author Topic: Time to upgrade Prepar3D  (Read 3148 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Time to upgrade Prepar3D
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »
Yep. It's time. I've been hanging on to Version 2.5 for as long as I can stand it. No more. Too many CTD's and memory related failures. It's too frustrating. Today, while flying my last leg of the MFC tour I was on, I got the "Prepar3D needs to close" message pop up just as I was approaching my final descent. I was able to reload the sim, then land and complete the flight but that was the final straw. More and more the duration of the flights was coming down to around 45 min to an hour and then boom. Out of Memory and CTD. There was noticable stuttering issues happening where the 60-70 FPS I was achieving suddenly went down to 2.5!! CHOP, CHOP, CHOP, a dozen or so bad stutters and then back up to the smooth FPS. This was happening a couple of times every flight anymore.

So, now I'll take the next step and move to the latest edition of P3D v4. I'm going for a clean install and not going to mess with trying to recover anything. I have my files stored for my scenery development outside the program so that's not an issue and I'll install from the beginning and only put in what I need this time. Might actually gain some storage space back too so wish me luck.

Only negative is the time invested is thrown away and the time it takes to get the sim set up and configured, flight yoke set up, etc. Oh well, I can always ask for help here right? There are others that have also taken the plunge so I'll be asking for help I'm sure.

Here goes!!

Brad

dexthom

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Time to upgrade Prepar3D
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:14:58 PM »
Elaine Dixon has produced great guides for P3Dv4..

Check it out..

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/510624-prepar3d-v4-images-and-install-structure/

There may be some on RTMM also..

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 08:41:51 PM »
You won't regret it. I am running it flawlessly and throwing MUCH more at it than normal people with all the scenery things we are doing, really jerking it around and it still comes up working great.

And the guide Elaine does is really excellent!  Good for anybody with P3D V4 to read. Lots of things to learn there.

Doug

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 10:17:57 PM »
You'll never want to go back.. it just takes mucho time to get all back in the new sim... but so worth it..
Lots at RTMM here that can help for sure.
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:07:18 AM »
No Instant Scenery, so don't delete any previous version.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »
Steve makes a very good point. IS3 doesn't work in V4. So I am using V3 for scenery development. No word on iS3 yet.

Doug

BBQSteve

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »
Learning how to use Scenery Configuration Manager 1.1.9 and Addon Organizer P3Dv4 will make the transition a whole lot easier and faster when adding scenery in bulk.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
I use FSX for the Instant Scenery Design then just view the work in P3D.

Brad

Doug

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
Great way to do it. I got "surprised" when I moved to V4 and couldn't use IS3.  I have both V3 and V4. V3 for IS3 and V4 for everything else.

Doug

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 06:17:19 PM »
Both v3 (or 2) play fine with v4 so there is no need to delete anything and it makes it easy to move things when needed.  I don't have a need for v3 anymore although it is on the drive....v4 is just too good.  If you compare the time and frustration to the OOM and CTD issues, the v4 install is easy.

Tell us all how it went!!!!!

Henry
MFC0001

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 09:31:39 PM »
Well starting tomorrow, it's off to Charlotte NC for a business trip until the 14th. I'll be back for a couple of weeks then off to Washington DC for another long conference. I won't have much seat time during that timeframe. Hoping I can make the move to v4 after the beginning of May.

Brad

Penzoil3

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 10:46:09 PM »
 8)
 Don't delete P3D 2 !  FTX Central can use some of the files. It will save a lot of download time.
 Sue