Author Topic: Tour Aircraft Limitations  (Read 4813 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Tour Aircraft Limitations
« on: March 28, 2018, 05:54:01 PM »
Hello,

How can I do the following? I don't fly C-47's, DC-3's etc. But I like the tour for the short fields that requires those. Is there any other way to do that tour if I wanted to do the flights for Misty Flying Club in a 185, Cub, etc.?

Brad
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:00:40 PM by Bradallen43 »

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Tour Aircraft Limitations
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 06:34:31 AM »
Sure Brad not a problem at all. In Kacars, just fly the legs with your fav RTMM alternative aircraft. (*Use the aircraft box on the left side of KACars to select the aircraft to be used in the flight legs. *This only sets the MFC site specs/stats for aircraft use).

Now "Cigar Box" will log the exact aircraft model & livery used and logs it in the actual flight pirep for each so no problem at all Brad.

The main purpose of all the trips here (RTMM or MFC) is to be able fly the routes and explore the scenics of these various locations to see them and not that they have to be flown with the exact aircraft named to be able to fly those flights.

The purpose of flying the aircraft recommended in some of the tours is to add the piloting aspect of challenge to their trip - that is to those who many want or need the challenge- but we do want all to be able to fly the routes and explore the scenery as they want to fly them.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 09:02:27 PM »
That's why I like this club. We have flexibility and not a rigid system of rules that make things a little less enjoyable.

Thank you for that option,

Brad

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »
Brad .. I don't fly DC-3 (dont have one) or C-47's either. But I got the free C-47. Climbed in it, hated it, bulky, not pretty, lethargic ... but I flew every leg of those two tours with it, and when I brought it home to Misty's Place to park it, I was in love with it. It is a totally different kind of flying, You have to "think ahead" more and be much more "gentle" in your piloting. Once I got the hang of it, I REALLY liked the plane. I've always flown the Aerosoft Beaver so this was a heck of a departure for me.

Also, there is one tour for the Twotter. I broke down and bought the Aerosoft Twotter. That is a "fun" plane to fly to, but a devil to land. Under 80 mph, it drops like a rock. I had some very rough landings with it. Flew the whole tour with it, and I'll use it again, but it is not easy to fly. One thing is nice though, the turboprop, to reverse props on landing really lets you stop in a short distance. So I'm trying to learn how to land at a faster rate, maybe further down the runway and use the F2 reverse to get stopped. It is just different and I have problems getting the hang of it.

But don't pass up the tours using the C-47. It will really grow on you. I've asked Klaus to put it on a back burner for an MFC repaint. It is actually a very WELL-DONE plane for freeware.

Doug

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 05:20:18 PM »
Good show Doug!
While RTMM doesn't have either the DC-3/C47 or the Twin Otter in the hanger, they are or were the heavy haulers of Bush Flying.  The DC-3/C47 on SimOutHouse is better than any payware I have and the twotter, well it's just very good.  Turbo props are the limit of Bush operations, they are heavy in maintenance, but the regular twotter is a workhorse. 

By having them in the tour provides some diversification in operations and the introduction of a twin.  You might try the twotter just for the dual engine time....and of course use it on the DC-3/C-47 trips.  And as always, you can fly what you have/like on all the excursions.

Give it try, I think you will like it.

Henry
MFC0001

Doug

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »
We used to have a DC-3 with Misty Paints. But I think the only available DC-3 for P3DV4 is sort of "cobbled together" ... not sure it is "prime time." The C-47 IS prime time. Excellent rendition and fun to fly. I've got the quest Kodiak and now the Twotter ... They just don't seem to handle right for me at takeoff and landing ... maybe its just me.

I actually "dreaded" the next tour that had the C-47.  Just didn't want to try it ... darned glad I did. It was a real change and still very DIFFICULT landings, etc as we are used to in our bush world.

D

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 03:46:39 AM »
DC-3, C-47, R4D (Navy) basically the same A/C in different paints.  For a 1930's design it sure has stood the test of time.  Last time I heard the very fist A/C off the production line was still airworthy.
Loud, drafty, fun as hell to fly but you have to do it "old school" to get the best from the old gal.
Not being a P3D creature I can't address the A/C in that sim but in FSX its a great and faithful rendition of the real A/C that I had the honor to fly during my Naval Career.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Rangerick

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »
FYI... The Douglas C-47R Skytrain V3.12 Beta (Manfred Jahn) works great in P3D v4. 

In my humble opinion, it's as good or better than any 'Payware' A/C !

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=34&linkid=21645

nbrich1

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 11:14:57 AM »
A step upwards is the C47 V3.14 Beta and a small enhancement mod. (Also at Sim outhouse).

And all liveries from v2.0 and 3.12 all work find in v3.14.

Norm

Rangerick

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
Yes, I meant V3.14.   ::)   

Thanks

nbrich1

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
Ok - all good.. so we're talking about the latest v3.14.. just so we're in sync. All good Rick.

Norm

Stearmandriver

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »
I really enjoy that C47 as well... agreed,  I'd say it's one of the best freeware models I've ever seen... beats a lot of payware I've seen!  I've done some Pacific island hopping in it,  using just dead reckoning and celestial nav, and she does great,  flies by the numbers.  Great stick and rudder model too,  in bush scenery like Misty's or the ORBX Papua New Guinea strips.   Thanks for building some tours that showcase it...

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
Hello,
as Doug already Said, I‘m working on a RTMM paintscheme for the C-47.
So it will soon find it‘s place in our RTMM Hangars......

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
That will be a great addition, Klaus. I'll start practicing wheels up landings on water since that will probably be my go to! :-)

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 12:13:56 PM »
Hey Doug.....they actually have one on floats in real life....I'll bet that was a beast to land!

A Note to those that want to fly something different, you can change the aircraft when you sign up for the tour.....just select the aircraft in the drop down box.  You also can change it in the Cigar Box in the Aircraft Information box at the bottom.

Enjoy your next flight......

Henry
MFC0001