Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 3425 times)

John

What to do next?
« on: March 20, 2018, 03:26:03 PM »
Hi all, I have installed Cigar Box, dnldd FPs, MFC_config.cfg, KACARS.ini but don't have a clue what to do with cfg and ini ::).  Can't seem to load MFC pln :(.  KACARS appears to load and connect to sim just fine but I'm in the dark after that :o.  Would appreciate any help :)

John
MFC0016

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
Ok Well John...

Generally:
KACARS.. hooks to the site.. and records your the flights just at the previous VA. You load the flight in your sim, you load the flight in KACARS then "start flight" then fly the flight in your sim. When you are finished your flight in your sim, you stop the flight in KACARS then file it (File Pirep) and the flight pirep goes to the MFC site.

Detail:
It would appear that you have KACars connected to the MFC site. Good.

KACARS:
There are two settings: Found in KACARS

Go to the tab > Main > Settings

You will see the "Search by Flight Number" Box.

1. IF UNCHECKED - this setting will draw or load a bid flight from the MFC site but "Get Flight Data" but you cannot direct entry in the Flight Number field. So for Bid flights, like tour flights, you create the bid  (or leg) in the tour, then in KACars "Get Flight Data" and the flight will load.

2. IF CHECKED - this setting will draw or load a regular scheduled flight from the MFC site using the Flight number so you can direct entry the flight # in the Flight Number field - then "Get Flight Data" and that flight will load.

So now try a single flight.

Load FP MFC0001A in your sim.

a) Start KACars >> go to tab > Main > Settings   - and make sure "Search by Flight Number is CHECKED.

Then in the pirep tab, type MFC0001A in the Flight Number box and click "Get Flight Data".
The flight MFC0001A Flight should load and a small pop-up box will appear saying "Schedule found". <Click> Ok.

b) So you should have your sim ready to go, flight MFC001A loaded and you are at the departure location ready to start the flight (Departure location in this flight is Gustavus (PAGS). 

(NOTAM: There is also a ignore parking brake option in KACars > if unchecked - the KACARS wants the parking brake on before you can start the flight in KACARS.
(If the Ignore Parking Brake option is checked this will ignore the KACars requirement to have the parking brake applied before starting the flight). (But it is a good practice to always start with the parking brake on, so for me I have unchecked the Ignore Parking Brake option).

c) In KACars, depending on your parking brake option, (parking brake on or doesn't matter), then clslect "Start Flight" in KACARS and the flight should start.

d) Fly your flight in your sim.

e) when you have landed at the destination airport location, in KACars, select "Stop Flight". And in a second, you will have a small pop-up stating Pirep Ready.< ok>. Then select <"File Pirep" and the pirep should send the log to the MFC site within a second or two.

DONE

The tour bid flights works the same way almost..
1. You select a flight from the tour body, - once selected it is your bid flight.
2. Set up your sim to fly the tour leg.
3. Start KAcars >> Go to Main > "Settings" and Uncheck "Search by Flight Number"
4. On the pirep tab - Select "Get Flight Data" and the tour bid flight should load.
5. Select "Start Flight" and your tour flight should start in KAcars.
6. Fly the flight, when done, in KACars a) Select Stop Flight, then b) File Pirep. DONE

Will be putting a manual together but that should get you up and running.

(one small note: to generate a tour flight or tour bid - you first have to join the specific tour (at the bottom of each tour page). Once joined up, the tour will make available to you each flight leg starting at 1. When 1 is completed, it will open up leg 2 and so forth.. until you have completed all the legs of the said tour.

Hope this helps John..  If not working for you just holler.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Doc_Z

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »
I can do the ACARS stuff, but, as did John, i downloaded MFC_config.cfg, xacars.ini and VA Template.txt from the download section on MFC site.  What are these files and where to they go?

dbutterf

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 10:21:54 PM »
Now I'm confused!

I thought that Cigarbox had preempted kACARS!!??
Dayle
P3D v4 WIN 10 Pro i5-4670 CPU @ 3.4GHz 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
Oh boy..

1) Cigarbox is the name of our MFC custom kACARSII  (which is kACARS v1.1.2.0).

(Doug named it Cigar Box so maybe take up your confusion with him - perhaps over a cigar and a pint at Misty's Bar! .lol).

2)  Don't need to download - FSPax Config (MFC_config.cfg), or  XAcars Config or VA-Template.txt.

(We'll try to remove it from the Pilots DL page. (Those are additional type configs for hooking in FS passengers, and X-plane acars code)

Norm
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:02:52 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Doc_Z

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »
Thanks, that resolves my questions.

dbutterf

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 08:07:03 PM »
Me too  :)
Dayle

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »
Cigar Box.  This is where the flight plans are "held" and ready for you to "get".  You can call it ACARS if you want. We call it the cigar box. Here's why... When I was up in Ketchikan and took a tour in a Beaver ... I asked the fellow how he remembered all of the sites for the cabins.  He had flown the area for about 15 years and not only could get to the cabins, but to many other great fishing sites.

When I asked him the secret, he reached under the seat, moved a couple of cans of oil aside and pulled out a cigar box. In it were little maps he'd drawn with VFR waypoints that he knew.  When he went to or found a new place, he'd rough draw it on a piece of paper and throw it in the cigar box just so he could "remember' it for later if he needed it.  So we decided to call our "place for maps" the "cigar box." That's how it came to be.

Doug

dbutterf

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 08:19:50 PM »
That I like  ;D
Dayle

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 02:22:35 PM »
Nope. Not working for me. I did all those steps. Sitting in my aircraft at PANT, Ready to do leg two to PAKT. Flight number I bid for is MFC3291. So I see it on my pilot bids page.

Start Cigar Box, Shows the Misty Flying Club Login window. My ID is there, MFC0029, My password is XXXXXXXXX. I click on Login. A Login Connection error message pops up: The request was aborted: The connection was closed.

Nope

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 03:16:12 PM »
Norm is helping me, Will report back

MFC0001

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »
OK, I think you may have confused the Acars information that was on the Home page.....Sorry, I eliminated now, so I think the problem is fixed once you get the right information.

Go to the downloads section.....there is only one download and that is Cigar Box download the file, open it with Winzip or WinRAR but not with the built in MS utility.  This will yield one .msi file which you will install on your computer and you are done. 

All you do now is follow Norm's directions for how to configure it.  You will be directed to furnish the information the first time you use Cigar Box, the rest is more or less straight forward.

Anyway, I am sorry for the confusion.  For the record this is the latest edition of kaCARSII we are one of the first to be using it....Cigar Box is our custom version of the Client of kaCARSII.  Let me know if you need more assistance.

Henry
mfc0001

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »
Turns out my issues were due to Avast Anti Virus running and interfering with the client connection. Once that was turned off, Cigar Box connected and the rest of the steps fell into place. Big shout out to Norm for all his assistance. Sorry for my ranting and whining. Just frustrated that I wasn't able to join in everybody's reindeer games!!

I'm good to go now so watch out!!!