Author Topic: Misty Flying Club Discussion  (Read 17402 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Misty Flying Club Discussion
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:51:26 PM »
This thread is for discussing the new Misty Flying Club (VA). It will be launched soon, but you can discuss its usage here. Henry Kirk and Norm Richards are the key players that are bringing this to you. Hat tip to both for a great job.  We'll let you know when it is ready. But you can view the project at http://return.mistymoorings.com/mfc/

knswee

Re: Misty Flying Club Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:53 PM »
This is a Great idea, been waiting for something like this for a long time.
Thanks Guys

ken

BBQSteve

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 02:21:14 PM »
I too think this is a great idea and hope to join, but I would like to ask one question. Why FSCloud was chosen vice JoinFS? I have been using JoinFS since it came out and followed it"s development. I must say I have not used Cloud in a long time and have not followed it, so educate me.

Teecee

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
I have tried many Steve, and come always back to Cloud..smooth, easy to use, and you can "turn off" all the stuff you personally don't need. Cloud and the freeware Skype work fine for me. Teecee.

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »
To chip in with the MP discussion, I tried using GameSpy before with FSX boxed then FSInn/FScopilot, DAFSIM, FSCloud, FSHost, FSD and lately settled with JoinFS since it's very simple and also currently adopted by popular, very active flightsim communities like Digital Theme Park, Elite Premair Virtual, MSFlights and Eastern Hops that also fly GA aircraft and helos. 

JoinFS is the newer cross-platform MP software that's peer-to-peer based and not dependent on a central server and it supports P3D, X-Plane, FSX boxed and FSX-Steam. It is very easy to install, use and update though manually, for now. It is also very lightweight with practically no effect on FPS and in active development and is updated regularly. Why not give it a try and compare? Then chose the better one or adopt both.. ;D :D ;)

Here's the JoinFS official site link for those interested: http://pmem.uk/joinfs/

For voice comms with text chats, both Teamspeak and/or Discord are popular choices of these communities..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:30:34 PM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 10:36:30 PM »
I too think this is a great idea and hope to join, but I would like to ask one question. Why FSCloud was chosen vice JoinFS? I have been using JoinFS since it came out and followed it"s development. I must say I have not used Cloud in a long time and have not followed it, so educate me.

Both work ok Steve, FSCloud has a tad more offerings and it easier for setup - no server to find or select.. just start up and go and a world wide map. JoinFS also works and actually might be a bit lighter in resources.. Both work well. Nothing saying we can't try Join FS but we would need to find a server for it and all would have to setup the server link or bookmark. 

So thinking at this point we are flexible but I do prefer the FScloud interface and easier usability for pilots.(just my opinion) and experience using both. 

Norm

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

BBQSteve

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:53:01 AM »
Norm, anyone can setup a server with JoinFS. I have one running all the time. That is the great part, if one guy is down, someone else can run it. I'll go with either one, just think Join is the better of the two because it has less delay, better overall performance, supports formation flying and great support. Perhaps we can try them both before a decision is made.

lionwing

• Live and let live...
    • Airwego VA
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
Count me in!

nbrich1

• Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
That works too Steve.. You have your own JOIN FS Server?. Nice..

Now the only thing is FSCloud doesn't need one.. well it only huge one resides on the FSCloud network.. and runs 24/7.. and we don't even have to do a thing other than login(once) then never again and are always connected up. I think only one in the last two years has there even been once when the FSCloud server was down for a couple of hours for maintenance. But hey don't get me wrong I do like Join FS. What is your server on Join FS? (Or if you want to shhh it.. just email me) Now if we Fscloud and also use joinFS we have lots of room lol and backups using alternate clients so all could hook up via either or join FS. Now, please correct me if I'm wrong but FSCloud has it own network world map with all pilots plugged into visible on the world map.. whereas joinfs doesn't have it own map but if plan G or alternate will display pilots on that map... 

Honestly we need more monitors!! lol. to display all of this stuff.. lol

Norm
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:34:01 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Dieter

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 11:13:23 AM »
just think Join is the better of the two because it has less delay, better overall performance, supports formation flying and great support.
Results from practising "FSCloud" and "JoinFS" in our virtual flying club in many multiplayer sessions I expressly confirm the above quote. Additionally you see everything on the aircraft: rotating/standing propeller, external lights on/off, open/close canopy, opening/closing doors a.s.o.
You should try this software.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:17:59 AM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

av8erjm

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 11:37:15 AM »
I haven't done any multiflying since TeamSpeak n' FS Host were all the rage. Now I'll just guessing here, but FSCloud n' FSJoin don't work together, Right?? So we need to decide which way to go, I'll throw my bean in with the guys who put in the work setting this up, since they put in all the effort, Just my OP for what it's worth

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
I agree with av8erjm's sentiments. We need to just leave the guys alone who're working on this project behind the scenes and let them set up the system as they see fit. I know that they've done their homework, have tons of experience in this type of endeavor, and that they're building it from the ground up to be user friendly for the RTMM community. I also know how much time they've put into this project already.The rest of us will cheerfully go with the flow with whatever they decide if we want to participate. We need to thank these guys from the bottom of our hearts for their efforts. Each system has it's pluses and minuses and we all have to accept whatever decisions the team makes. No use complaining about "why didn't you do this or use that" before we've even seen product is even out there.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BBQSteve

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 03:19:36 PM »
So are you saying we can't have good social discourse on the subject. While I agree the guys are doing a great job of setting this up, I see no reason why there should be no good objective recommendations from the peanut gallery.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 04:03:04 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with social discourse on the subject as long as it doesn't digress to "why didn't you use this or that," when those decisions have already long been made, that's all.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

marc2140

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 04:48:31 PM »
I consider myself as a regular multi player flyer (at least 3 sessions a week, at various flight sim clubs in various countries). i have been flying on Vatsim, Ivao, private servers of clubs, FS Cloud, etc. What I see, is that more and more people turn to JoinFS.
The huge advantage is that there is NO server anymore. It works with the peer to peer system. Someone starts a session and gives his coded IP address to another player and off you go. Afterwards anyone can connect to anyone's address in the session, it works. If anyone drops out, it's all the others who keep the session running. Really brilliant. And the quality is the best you can get. You can fly next to a guy who is 100 ft away from you and you can see smoothly all the details of the plane. No hick ups as in other programs.
Also no hassling around anymore with other peoples aircraft models (IVAO's MTL is at nearly 8000 A/C by now). JoinFS only reproduces planes you have in your own stable. And if you don't have the model your friend is flying, you can simply replace it with an aircraft you do have on yr sim.
In todays online flying, JoinFS simply is a no brainer. Don't set up anything else anymore.
For speech, we mostly use Teamspeak3, but Mumble is also a good solution. No experience with Discord, but it looks mighty complicated.
Think twice Norm and Henri. You know me for years now...
Marcel

Intel i7-4790k @ 4.8 GHz-MBO Asus MaxVii Hero-Corsair 780T-Corsair PSU 1000w-Corsair H100i GTX cooling-G Skill 16gb 2400/CL 10 (2x8gb)-Geforce GTX980 4gb ddr5-SSD 850 pro 512gb-2Tb HDD WD black 7200rpm-LG Blu Ray-Wifi pci-exp N900 (dual freq 2.4+5ghz)-Win7 Ult OS 64bit-FSX-SE