Author Topic: Super Cub  (Read 13801 times)

archangel1

Super Cub
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:01:05 AM »
There appears to be two good payware examples of the Super Cub available - Aerosoft and Flight Replicas.  Anything to recommend one over the other?
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

GrahamP

Re: Super Cub
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:27:12 AM »
Bernt Stolle did the airfiles for the Flight Replicas Supercub.  You won't get any better flight model than that.
Graham

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 07:08:04 AM »
A2A is very good. I don't have it but I've heard it's very realistic. I own the Flight replicas complete collection for the Super Cub and it's an extensive package with over 20 variants and types you'll keep using. I love it.

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:12:39 AM »
Wrong, actually.... there are THREE good Supercubs available. You forgot ours ; http://silvercloud-store.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29778

It is different from the other too, but just as interesting with a wealth of versions and liveries included.

Cheers,
Francois
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

GrahamP

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »
A2A is very good. I don't have it but I've heard it's very realistic.

It is indeed.  I should have mentioned it, rather than just answer on the Super Cub.  It's the Accusim expansion pack that gives the A2A Cub it's realism (so you need that as well to get the best of it) and in this case that means more than just the flight model, like the way it shakes and creaks, the engine wear and oil system, engine life and servicing, internal systems, etc.  The A2A one is a standard Cub though, not a Super Cub, so it's less powerful.  I've got the A2A and the full Flight Replicas package.  In overall realism I do prefer the A2A Cub.
Graham

evoras

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »
I have both AND the one Francois mentioned (FSaddon). Of the 3 the only one I still fly is the FSAddon one.
Ed - KDVT, AZ

archangel1

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
Sorry, Francois.  I'd seen that one but forgotten about it.  I probably would have found it today, though, because just when I was going to bed last night (well, this morning, actually) I also remembered Tongass Fjords FSX.  I've been compiling a list of products that I need to get when I get my new computer after I retire next month and that was definitely supposed to be on it.

Tigerclaw

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:52:35 AM »
I've got the FSAddon and the Flight Replicas Super Cubs, my personal opinion is the Flight Replicas one is better looking and "feels" far better to fly. The only problem I have with it is it bounces wrong on landing. It feels like the Tundra tires are full to breaking point with air, and not soft as they should be.
I'm very sorry to say, I was not impressed with the VC graphics of the FSAddon model, it looks like a toy and that really put me off. It flies and lands pretty well though, I have to give them that. It is no longer installed :(

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is only my personal opinion.

Oh if you decide to get the Flight Replicas version for bushflying, and you don't want the others, get the "Extreme Bush" version. I've got the whole lot, and I only really fly the Extreme versions.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:55:03 AM by Tigerclaw »
Tony

Windows XP Pro 32 bit - Core 2 Duo 1.87Ghz - 2 gig Ram - GeForce GT240 1 gig Ram - Audigy ZS 2 - FSX Gold. ORBX - REX 2.0 - TrackIR 5

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
I've got the FSAddon and the Flight Replicas Super Cubs, my personal opinion is the Flight Replicas one is better looking and "feels" far better to fly. The only problem I have with it is it bounces wrong on landing. It feels like the Tundra tires are full to breaking point with air, and not soft as they should be.
I'm very sorry to say, I was not impressed with the VC graphics of the FSAddon model, it looks like a toy and that really put me off. It flies and lands pretty well though, I have to give them that. It is no longer installed :(

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is only my personal opinion.

Oh if you decide to get the Flight Replicas version for bushflying, and you don't want the others, get the "Extreme Bush" version. I've got the whole lot, and I only really fly the Extreme versions.

Tigerclaw,
the bouncing problem can probably be cured by adjusting the contact points in the Aircraft.cfg file.  Search the forums for my posts on doing this for the Carenado C185 with the updated AIR files to see how to do it.

Noticed the Extreme version are ONLY Tundra Tire models no skies or float models with that package.  You would have to spend another $19.95 for the Classic Bush Planes package to have every cub you need to fly bush flights in all weather and floats are mandatory for RTMM scenery.

For about 1/2 the money you get seven aircraft with all the required equipment for real bush flying in RTMM.   Seems like a better cost/performance ratio to me.  Have not seen the VC in either aircraft so can not comment on that aspect.
 8)
Later,

Spud

archangel1

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
Just downloaded the FR Super Cub manual and noticed they recommend setting the FPS Target Frame Rate at 25 or lower.  I thought everybody was trying to increase their frame rates so why would this particular aircraft model require you to reduce them?

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 03:50:35 AM »
Lowering fps settings will allow the computer to use some of its remaining power to work on displaying your scenery... or indeed, textures of a complex model ;-) So it means it is a 'heavy' model for FSX to cope with.

Having said that, I don't think the GOAL is in itself to increase fps. The goal should be to have a fluidly working flight simulator. With lower spec machines and heavy scenery and/or models, you will indeed need to LOWER the fps settings to achieve this.

If your PC and its programs can accommodate higher settings, then sure, that is wonderful.  :)
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »
Funnily enough, some PC configurations actually work better with FPS set at unlimited. Aerosoft's Mathijs Kok regularly achieves FPS well over 40 on his OLD PC.

I use Jesus' tweaks - that man really does walk on water as far as I am concerned. I get over 1/3rd FPS improvement with his tweak tool - look for Jesus Altuva and/or Bojote in Avsim. Depending on your PC, you'll think this guy is the greatest.

But hey - FAR MORE IMPORTANT than bloody FPS is the question "Does FSX run smooth?" This damned numbering system is the biggest load of eye-wash going. A smooth flowing 20 FPS is miles better than 50FPS with stutters. One day this stupid debate will be finally forgotten... I hope!

People are driving themselves nuts trying to achieve a "number" when they should be trying to achieve smoothness. Ading that FPS tool was the worst thing Microsoft did, because all it did was to start a penis-envy situation. That's all it is guys - "Mine's bigger than yours..."
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »
Well mine is certainly not 'bigger than your' I have a low middle of the road Dell XPS 600 that was state of the are when I bought it but not now.  My FSX is smooth without stutters MOST of the time and it is locked at 30 FPS.  It can achieve this without difficulty until I enter the world of ORBX then the bottom drops out if I am at any scenery intensive place in their scenery like KSEA.  It is still smooth but if I worried about FPS I would be a basket case in 30 min.  As Chris says if it runs smoothly without stutters that is your target.  Besides all the naysayers to the contrary anything above 25 FPS is basically wasted because the average person can not tell the difference.  Now if your into rip roaring shoot em' ups with super fast actions etc. it might make a difference but FS doesn't work like that.  I know, I know there is Billy Badass that flies at MACH 7.8 three feet off the ground who will take umbrage with this but then there a idiots in every walk of life.
Turn off the counter people and enjoy a smooth flight.
Oh and while I'm at it turn off the crappy crash detection that FSX includes.  It will give you nothing but grief and is not realistic any way.  If you do not know if you crashed then you should stick to driving sims.  There is one for driving a city bus that you might like.  There are those who say but "I want to make it as real as it get".  Well real as it gets would be, you crash, you give me all your stuff cause your dead.   ;D
 8)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:39:10 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Leorstef

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »
Yes, Mr. Altuve's tweaks are the best IMHO.
They have finally made it possible for me to use some portovers that usually brought FSX to it's knees on my system.

Thought I would pass this along for those interested.
Jesus 'Bojote' Altuve now has a site that does all of the tweaking hard work for you:
http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

(As ALWAYS, make backup copies of anything you are going to change, first!)  ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:56:18 PM by Leorstef »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I have tried Jesus' tweak page twice now and I'm one of the unfortunate ones that apparently he can not help.  Both time I used the cfg file it generated and tried it in my sim it brought it to its knees.  My main bitch about FSX and ORBX scenery is that the ground textures are one big blur.  not the auto gen trees, houses buildings etc. just the plain old ground.  if I am not in a area with lots of scenery it is OK but goto PAKT and bang a cheap drunk looking at the ground.  Everything else is fine.
 8)
Later,

Spud