Author Topic: Dalton Highway - Coming soon  (Read 4736 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Dalton Highway - Coming soon
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:32:15 AM »
We are doing some extensive work for the "outlyer" locations for the BWEP Dalton Highway segment.  As we finish these, I put them onto the scenery page, but the ZIP button is not active and won't be until the the Dalton Highway segment of the pipeline is ready.  But you can see the pictures (click on the thumb picture), and click on the README for the location where there will be more pictures and an explanation of what is coming. These are:

Yukon Crossing ... depiction of the Google Earth image
Allakaket Lodge ... updated airport, added lodge near the river
Flying Beaver Lodge ... updated WBQ Airport, updated Snow Dog Tour area, and new lodge

All four airports for this segment have been completed. 3 were updated significantly (as we are doing with airports we use along the pipeline) and one is BRAND NEW ... Winter Trail Supply. We found an abandoned airport on Google Earth and duplicated it as best we could turning it into a supply base for BWEP.  You will have a lot to do with this coming segment.   I'll be dropping some screenshots in this thread so you can get a better feel on what is coming. 

There is a LOT of pipeline that Brad is laying down, and he is working this in among his REAL duties of making a living. So this "coming soon" is not "tomorrow" ... it will take us a while, but I will keep you posted.

Here is a Google Earth capture of the abandoned airport that we found, and the second picture is what happens when BWEP buys the virtual unused property for $1 and acre and turns it into a supply depot!  You can see we duplicated the Google Earth image.

Doug
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:24:18 PM by Doug »

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Dalton Highway - Coming soon
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »
Great work, Doug!

Rod

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:04:07 AM »
Looking beautiful!
Thank you Doug!!!!!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Teecee

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
That looks like a real treat.. thanks for finding this one. Teecee.

Doug

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
Finished Crevice Creek. This is a "real" airport 1AK1 about 30 miles NNW of Bettles. We had to do some important landscaping on this one to put in the two creeks at each end of the runway. This has minimal lighting for the long dark winter days. You can view the readme from the Scenery Page (under "C") and also see the map for it there. In the readme, I've included screen captures of "before" and "after" so you can see what we started with.

When Dalton Highway is ready, all of these will become active for download. The lighting in the attached pic is a typical winter day at high noon at Crevice Creek! (PS Click on the image for a larger view). So all airports and outlier scenery locations ae complete for the Dalton Highway segment.

Doug
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:25:46 AM by Doug »

Teecee

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »
Mate do you ever sleep? Thanks for all your efforts, especially when the Orbx and Ozx  forums and sites are so very quiet.. you are keeping the interest alive.. Top job..Teecee.

Doug

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:18:15 PM »
Well now and then I get some shuteye ... but it is more fun to play with the scenery that sleep! :-)

I started at 1AK1 Crevice Creek this morning (just to make sure it was still there) ... and it was. It is fun to try to give each little airport upgrade its own "character" ... too easy to just lay down a square of tarmac and pop in hangars around it. So the trick is to get it to "visually feel" like something different. Looking closely at Google Earth can give you some clues. 1AK1 is an "off-the-beaten-path" little "less-than-perfectly-maintained" airport, nested between two creeks and a river out in a very big patch of country. This morning, it was snowing.  So here's a little "bumpy" video for 1AK1 the way it looked on this winter's day up there:

Video

Teecee

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
Love it.. Love these little out of the way strips..  Thank you ..Teecee.

Doug

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
At the top of the thread is Winter Trail Depot, showing the layout, Google Earth, etc. Here is a video of the finished product that will be coming soon in Dalton Highway:

VIDEO

For an "abandoned" airport, this one really had a very long runway for this region. The bigger transport type planes can fly into this one easily.

Doug

Penzoil3

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »
 8)
 Wow, that is just beautiful. Really looking forward to this !
 Thanks
 Sue

Teecee

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »
Stunning..So good to see these "default" airstrips coming to life.. It was  nice to have a strip, but way better to have an airport.. Thanks again. Teecee.

Doug

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
TeeCee ... what was fun about this one, Winter Trail Depot,  if you use the "starting point" that is listed on the Scenery Page for this ... you will find there is NOTHING at the site, just an open field, no road or any indication of an airport. This one was fully from scratch using Google Earth as the model. That really made it fun. Go look at the field, then look again at the video. Fun to see the difference.

But yes, a lot of these "strips" are already there ... but just a strip with a building or a beacon, but nothing else. I've tried to use Google Earth to make them somewhat like the real thing, but it is difficult to do.

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 04:14:09 PM »
At the top of the thread is Winter Trail Depot, showing the layout, Google Earth, etc. Here is a video of the finished product that will be coming soon in Dalton Highway:

VIDEO

For an "abandoned" airport, this one really had a very long runway for this region. The bigger transport type planes can fly into this one easily.

Doug

Hello Doug,
Great work! The site looks really beautiful.

I like your preview videos.....

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »
Well, the vids are nothing like Robert P puts together for us, but they tend to give a person a better"feel" for what something actually looks like in the sim.  i wish I could turn all of these loose, but it would really disrupt what we are planning for BWEP Dalton Highway release. So at least I can let folks get a peek. :-)

Laagvlieger

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 06:57:24 AM »
Beautifull video!
Can't wait....

Laagvlieger

Wife, Volkswagen California, Laptop, Lochitech Extreme 30 PRO, headphone with mike, mouse, etc. :-)