Author Topic: BWEP - The Interior (addon locations coming)  (Read 6527 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
BWEP - The Interior (addon locations coming)
« on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
We are going to take a slightly different "strategy" for scenery locations in the northern segments of the pipeline. There are simply no lodges or nice little lakes ... it is just on-and-on tundra and rolling hills. Beautiful country, but not a great place for adding scenery locations. Yet flying this country is pretty amazing, especially with the expanse of it. You really get the "feel" of what it must have been like to build this amazing pipeline. Add weather and poor light and it is a very different kind of flying for us.

What there are many of are great little airports ... and that's how people get around up there. So we are going to feature the some these airports. Many are already built very well, good runways, taxiways, etc ...sparse on buildings, but solid locations. We are going to enhance some of these outlying airports (away from the pipeline), and put a lodge connected to them.  We will then "enhance" the airport and create a new scenery location.

The strategy will be to take advantage of what ORBX already has placed in these locations. One such example is Circle City Lodge.  In the pic below you can see how we are taking advantage of 1. A community, 2. and airport, 3. a lodge location. All three are connected with roads. This makes the overall addition more interesting for folks.  Mostly things are frozen up this way anyway, so most flying will be with skis, tundra or wheels (plus heli of course).

Here you can see how we placed a lodge on the Yukon River, near a great little community and fixed up a very "solid" airport PACR.  In "The Interior" there will be three locations like this.

Doug
PS "Click on the picture to enlarge it"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:13:38 PM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
Re: BWEP - The Interior (addon locations coming)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »
Looks great, Doug!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Teecee

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »
Thanks heaps Doug.. I have been adding bits and pieces for own use wherever I see a small strip (particularly in BC Canada) or anywhere the water landings are missing.. nothing much.. just a pier and a cabin or shed, and ONLY where my maps show a hard landing, water landing or a POI (I particularly like adding bits to mines and Logging areas). I truly was not aware that there were many more small strips in AL. What a  treat! I for  one look forward to finding them.. Teecee.

PS if there is anything I can do to help give me a call.

Penzoil3

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »
Wonderful, thanks so much!
 Sue

Doug

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 11:10:27 AM »
Here's are close ups of Circle City Lodge (near PACR) and Spoiler's Lodge at RMP.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:16:20 AM by Doug »

Teecee

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »
Doug. I am just wondering if there is a possibility that you may release these beauties as they are completed, rather than in groups? I fly this area a lot, and the more improved town and cities the  better in my opinion. Thanks again for all your hard work.Terry (Teecee)

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »
Beautiful, Doug!

The helipad at Spoilers Lodge with lighting is really amazing!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »
TeeCee, I kind of "make" them in groups.  I've got one more to finish. But we are bringing them through QC, trying to make sure they are as error-free as possible.  Also, some of these can cause "different" kinds of problems and we have to stop and solve them (while working on other areas). The "smoke project" really set me back time-wise. We try to have some of these "outlyers" ready when a new pipeline segment releases ... and we didn't get any out for The Interior (which these are for). So it all should have come out at one time, with the pipeline segment. But I was busy chasing smoke all over the northern hemisphere! :-)

I also find that the first version is not necessarily the best. On Spoilers Lodge, I flew in there last night from the new Circle City Lodge area. And where do you put the plane?  Usually you see a terminal and park it there with other planes. But Alas, no terminal. So I'm sitting there on the runway saying ...hey Doug, better budget for a terminal. Last night, construction began, this morning a new terminal sits at RMP. That one has been "ready" for 2 weeks ... and I had missed a KEY part of it.  So that's why we hesitate so folks aren't having to re-download to make up for our mistakes. 

We solved a major problem at Circle City Lodge overnight ... yesterday an impossible problem, this morning, the solution appeared in my inbox, spent the morning applying it.  No sense in sending something out to everyone with a problem "built into" it. So we are being careful. Hang in there, unlike the "check's in the mail" ... our "coming soon" is realling "coming soon!" :-)

Doug

Doug

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »
OK, working now on 51Z Minto.  Got the airport "done", and the road system in connecting the airport to the community and to the lodge "construction site." Again, because of the low light in these northern climes, I'm paying special attention to lighting ... street/road lighting, ramps, etc. This airport didn't have any runway lights, those are all in now.  There's even a Brad's BBQ at the turnoff to the lodge!

I know the "real" Mintor airport is probably a grass strip with a couple planes and a jeep, but we're having fun here. I'm betting NOT ONE of you has ever been to 51Z (and why would you?). Now you will have a reason to go, and I am having fun making something from almost nothing.

Next, I work on the lodge which has a beautiful peninsula-type setting. 

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:59:24 AM by Doug »

Teecee

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »
Thanks for taking "time out" to answer my post Doug..  I know it's "cruel" of me but hey..I'm lovin' it knowing there is new stuff coming so all I can say is "bring it on" and keep on opening up the great state of Alaska for us.. and thanks again. Terry.

Doug

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
Here's how Wandering Lakes Lodge is coming along. You can see how I've "connected" the airport to the lodge and nearby community.  51Z (Minto), was simply two runways in an X pattern. One was just an apron, not active. This is an airport probably nobody would ever notice or visit, so by fixing it up, we are giving you a reason.  Changed the "apron" runway to a taxiway going to a new ramp where we put some interesting things for you. There is a medical building (I'm adding that to all of these so later we can run Medical Dispatches if we want to).  But with the attached screenshot, you can see how I'm pulling the elements together.

Wandering Lakes Lodge, Circle City Lodge and Spoiler's Lodge should be released later today.

Click on the picture to see it enlarged.

Doug

Update: just was doing some final checks at Minto (Wandering Lakes). I fly on "system time". The second screenshot is what 10:am looks like up there right now ... it is DARK!  This is why I spent so much time on the lighting. Steve's lightposts and pools of light really add to what we can do in a situation like this. In the Ketchikan area, when it gets dark, we head for Misty's Place. So no need to "fly at night" .. up here, a lot of your flying (from here up to Deadhorse) will be done in "dusklight" or "nightlight". A different kind of flying. So when flying "system time" and "winter" ... this is what you can expect.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:04:31 AM by Doug »

Teecee

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »
Today? holy moley.. Hanging out for this..Thanks again for bringing Alaska to life.. Teecee.

Doug

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 11:40:33 AM »
See? "Coming Soon" takes on new meaning from RTMM! :-)

We are downloading/installing, just as your would do to make sure there aren't any kinks in the system. I'm sure we'll still find a few, this is complex scenery with some new ADE work I've done, flattens, ground polys, etc.  But if there are problems, you folks will find them for us and we'll fix them. But I think everything looks pretty good right now.  Sometime after lunch (12 noon EST ... unless Barb makes the sandwiches later! ;-)

Doug

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 01:20:53 PM »
OK ... the new additions for BWEP "The Interior" are up on the website ready for your download. Drop us a screenshot of anything your particularly like (or dislike).

With the scarcity of "locations" in this new VAST area, we are going to use this strategy for the "outlyer" locations from the pipeline. I'll find an airport that probably has little use. It will be near a community and will have an interesting location for a lodge.  Remember, if you see such a place in your "travels" up there, let me know.

Working on Dalton Highway ... (not out yet), I found this place this morning. I have no idea "how" it got there...I didn't make it. But there it is. A community (Allakaket), a nice little undeveloped airport 6A8 and an interesting lodge location (the airstrip feature on the water). So this is the kind of thing we'll be looking for as we head north.

Doug

Teecee

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »
Fabulous mate..Thannks heaps..going to look for the DL now.. Terry.
Well, Ya got me.. I can't find the link..Help please.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:24:01 PM by Teecee »