Author Topic: Poll: Shockwave lights REDUX, by A2A  (Read 6630 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Shockwave lights REDUX, by A2A
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 07:39:51 AM »
Off Topic - Polls are cool, but we don’t do many of them and folks (even me) don’t understand the protocol. I removed my earlier post. It was about shockwave so was on topic. When we start a poll, how about in our first comment, we state the reason for the poll and the responses we expect? We’ll get the hang of this. This thread is a reminder of this important tool...and we should use it more. Often I have questions to the community, great way to get the response. So being off topic, please no comments back in this. Let’s focus on the poll...the information is important to us. (hey lurkers...vote!)

Dan

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 08:05:54 AM »
This thread is a Poll.  You've never heard of that before?  The poll is not working anyway.  Over a hundred people have visited this thread, and only fourteen votes.  ???    Never mind, I'm using the shockwaves anyway.  Sorry I asked.  :(
Yeah, that's how online polls almost always go.  A much higher proportion of views to votes.  Sometimes people don't have an opinion either way, don't know anything about the topic, etc.. (though I know in this case it's just a yes/no answer..)

Main thing here is let's keep it civil, everyone.  Thanks.  :D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 12:03:14 AM »
Sorry, I apologize for being a butt.  :-[

Please feel free to discuss the shockwave lights here if you wish.  Vote if you feel like it. 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Penzoil3

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 05:27:32 AM »
 8)
 tHANKS jEFF, WE WERE JUST TRYING TO HELP WITH MORE INFORMATION. iT'S ALL GOOD. lol
 eXCEPT FOR MY CAP LOCK...
 sUE

Doug

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »
Jeff, not too many data points, but I think this proves merit to what you are doing.

bt103504

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 09:22:24 AM »
I am excited and happy to report that last night I was able to successfully install Schockwave lights into P3Dv4. The lights actually are still able to utilize the Dynamic Lighting feature of P3Dv4, however they do suffer the horrible bloom from a distance. I'm looking for a solution for this presently.

The process is a pretty simply cut and paste from FSX to the P3dV4 folders. I won't outline any further than that without moderator approval  8)

Doug

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 09:29:33 AM »
Discussion is fine and long as you are not going around purchasing it from them. So we're careful not to do any pirate things here, but moving PURCHASED programs from here to there ... no problems. Thank you for asking.

Doug

bt103504

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
Sorry guys I didn't forget about you all. So basically to install the lights you must own a legal copy of Shockwave lights redux and FSX (steam or disc version is fine) and apply the most recent patch to redux lights v.1.2.

Then take all the fx_shockwave files from the effects folder and move them to the effects folder in your p3dv4 folder. Then, inf your FSX/effects/textures folder copy the following folders to your P3dv4/effects/textures folder;

1. fx_shockwave_circle
2. fx_shockwave_light
3. fx_swave_lights_1

Thats it! Then just adjust your p3dv4 aircraft config files as you normally would in FSX to assign the shockwave lights to your aircraft.

IMPORTANT!
Please know that there is a graphical glitch presently where if you are not in a close chase view of your aircraft then you will experience an extremely large bloom/flare on the lights which get bigger the further away you get. You may notice if you're in tower view it looks like your lights have engulfed your aircraft.

I think I have narrowed down the source to the fx_shockwave_circle and/or the fx_shockwave_light BMP files. I have no idea how to convert them to a format that P3DV4 accepts but anyone who is interested in troubleshooting with me I could use the help.

bt103504

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »
UPDATE @ 7:36pm 11/21/17:

So minor issue, anytime you turn off all the lights and turn them back on using the default "L" key then you encounter the black box texture issue on all lights. But I believe this proves my earlier hypothesis that the "fx_shockwave_circle" texture file was the issue for the overbloom on lights at a distance. A little unsure to fix the black box issue at this point so any help is appreciated, lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update @ 7:03pm 11/21/17

By George it's fixed!! So here's what I did to solve the graphical overbloom of the lights. Inside my p3dv4 effects/texture folder there is a texture called "fx_2_th_lighthouse". I have taken that texture and renamed it to "fx_shockwave_circle" and then pasted that back into the p3dv4 effects/texture folder which overwrites the old shockwave file of the same name.

Now you may initially have black boxes around your lights. Before you toss your computer out the window simply go into your options-world settings in p3dv4 and adjust both your special effects distance and detail down to minimum. This gets rid of the black box issue and should should result in smaller lights. I'm gonna play around with p3dv4 to see if there is a better default texture to use for the shockwave_circle file.

It's not a perfect fit but at least it gets the effects back to a normal level so your aircraft don't look like fireballs in the distance. Interestingly shockwave is still able to use the dynamic lighting feature in p3dv4 even shining on your avatar when your strobes or beacon flash outside of the aircraft which is pretty cool.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:39:21 PM by bt103504 »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »
???  I just turned down my bloom setting.  All is good.   ;)  Not sure you should be messing with that stuff.  :o
Also, I don't have the issue you describe, with black boxes or crazy bloom.   ???
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:03:08 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:13 PM »
Black boxes around light effects can also be the result of slow loading textures. If you sit and wait for a bit, do the black boxes go away by themselves?

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

bt103504

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 10:16:31 PM »
This is the original issue I get when I simply copy and pasted the shockwave lights and effects into p3dv4...

I've also turned off HDR lighting as well so there should be no bloom effects causing this issue.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 07:41:18 PM »
     My lights look like that at a distance too.  The lights don't get smaller as you get farther away.  I don't think it's bloom either.  So the lighthouse fx gets smaller at a distance? 

I don't usually view my plane at such a distance.  I suppose my lights are the same as yours, I just didn't see them as a problem.  Sorry.  :-[  If you've improved them by doing this, good on you. 

You go ahead.   8)

(I don't have the black box issue.  :P )

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:55:15 PM by jeff3163 »

Simbol

Re: Poll: Shockwave lights REDUX, by A2A
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 05:09:35 AM »
Hi Guys,

The lights look like at distance that because there is a fault with the way PD3 works with effects and the problem has been there since PD3 V2, I wrote a set of special effects for PD3 that overcomes this issue.

The package name is AI Lights Reborn free edition, feel free to google it.

Best Regards,
Simbol

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Poll: Shockwave lights REDUX, by A2A
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 07:20:52 AM »
Thank you, Simbol.  I have already installed your AI Lights Reborn package to my sim.  Welcome to the RTMM forum.  Glad to have you here.   8)

EDIT:  The new lights look great!  Thanks for your contribution to the flightsim community, Sir!   8)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:24:51 PM by jeff3163 »