Author Topic: Things coming to a halt?  (Read 1723 times)

Teecee

Things coming to a halt?
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:00:47 PM »
I am sad to see that development is apparently being suspended both here and at Ozx due the changes in Sim development (upgrades to Prepar3d etc) I find that very disappointing, as I and believe many like me have no real interest in constantly updating our sims. (Cost is something that must be considered for instance.)
I currently run Prepar3d v3.4, and it looks and runs fabulously, and I have no intention of "upgrading" any further. I am sure that there are many people like me, that enjoy the simple life, flying Misty's in my DC2 or whatever is their choice.
Please do not stop this great website from continuing to develop places of interest for those of us that love "low and slow and looking at the scenery". Teecee.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Things coming to a halt?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »
TEECEE ... we have absolutely NO intention of stopping. We are in a "microsoft glitch" moment right now.  In trying to stay up with the leaders in this field, I have P3D V4.1 ... and I have to stay on that leading edge to make sure RTMM stays up to date.  Microsoft's Creator's Fall Update killed our ability to run P3D 3.4 and Instant Scenery 3 with Windows 10. If I go back to Windows 7 ... then I have to reinstall everything, and that isn't going to happen.

The sim has finally made the quantum leap from 32 to 64 bits. There are going to be problems with such a radical change in the base platform. But really isn't the problem. V4.1 is running perfectly ... probably the smoothest I've ever seen ... now that it is using all 4 cores of the computer instead of the 32 bit 1 core system. So we have a better sim .. .probably the best ever. Our problem isn't going forward with Prepa3d 4.1 ... it is with MICROSOFT PUTTING OUT A VERY CRAPPY UPDATE that not only killed what we needed to run IS3 (scenery development) but it also killed a lot of other non-sim related programs. The internet is on fire with what Microsoft has done. The November "dump" from Microsoft was supposed to fix this .. 3.4 runs now, but still has the Child Window problem that knocks out IS3.

I've been in contact with the IS3 developer ... he is working on a 64 bit IS3 which will work with Prepar3d V4.1. When we have that, we are home free (until Microsoft decides to put us out of business again!).

... One thing I'm doing, once it is working again, I'm turning off the Microsoft updates ... never again will I trust them. If others say it is working, then I will put in the latest update, but I'm not going through this again. Had I not downloaded and installed the 1709 update, my 3.4 and IS3 would be working.

Steve is doing some special work on our libraries ... work you won't be able to see until it is released that will make things even better for RTMM. Rod has a major development going with The Chagach II ... a huge and beautiful addition we are looking forward to.  Rod has Win 7 and P3d V3.4 ... so he is in business with IS3 still.  I'm flying 4.1 and watching for problems. I'm keeping a worksheet for all of these and when I run across them, I put them onto the worksheet. We've been able to fix a lot of things, but then IS3 stopped working all together ... immediate CTD. But we are keeping up the worksheet. So when we get a solution, we go after the worksheet, catch up and  it will look like we never missed a beat a month or so later.

Bottom line ... we are not stopping development. I am in a forced suspension, but we have plans on the books. We know of things that must be "fixed" in 4.1 ... I'm keeping a worksheet for all of these items and when we run across them, I put them onto the worksheet. We've been able to fix a lot of things, before IS3 stopped working all together ... immediate CTD. But we are keeping up the worksheet. So when we get a solution, we go after the worksheet, catch up and  it will look like we never missed a beat a month or so later.  Right now, there is NOTHING I can do. I've toyed with going back to Win 7, but to re-install all of this when a fix could come on Dec 12th from Microsoft or any time from IS3 .. it just isn't worth it to me.

Doug

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:38:07 PM by Doug »