Author Topic: I am stunned  (Read 3865 times)

Teecee

I am stunned
« on: November 29, 2017, 08:24:13 PM »
I do not remember when I joined RTMM, but it's a long time ago..somewhere around the beginning of the web site, and in all that time I have never visited Halibut cove..Today I saw it mentioned somewhere and decided to take a look.. stunning! What a great piece of scenery!..my new "home" as of today..thank you, thank you, thank you for all your great work.. Teecee.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: I am stunned
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:35:57 PM »

8)   ... and it has season switching elements too.   ;)  It IS a very cool location, for sure!  Thanks Teecee.   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
Thanks, Teecee!  An interesting story....when ORBX PAHO came out, we discovered that the elevations in Halibut Cove were changed virtually destroying our scenery.  After chatting with Holger and Alex at ORBX, an ORBX PAHO update came out that reduced the range of the specialized PAHO airport mesh so that it did not impact Halibut Cove.  So besides the RTMM team that put Halibut Cove together, we got a great assist from ORBX to maintain Halibut Cove as one of the great RTMM sceneries. 

Here is a link to a Halibut Cove video we did for those of you who have not visited the RTMM Halibut Cove site yet:   http://return.mistymoorings.com/mistys/#videos

Rod

Teecee

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
Thanks for the video Rod, I truly had not realised how you guys strive for the "real life" look.. magical.. thanks again..Teecee.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »
It's picture perfect!

Teecee

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:03:49 PM »
I consider myself "one of the lucky ones". At eighty next birthday I  get to spend as much time as I like on the Sim (I have a VERY understanding wife, either that or she is glad to have me out from under her feet.) Anyway, I get hours every day to fly, and since I started this thread some days ago I have been mainly flying the Homer/Halibut Cove area and as of today I have not tired of it, there is so much to see there. The real treat though is that I know there are still dozens of similar area for me to fly.. Thank again to this great team..Teecee.

rgerdes

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 12:48:13 AM »
Hi Teecee,
At 75 I guess I'm just a young feller. :)
I too have been enjoying the Homer to Halibut Cove scenery.
If you haven't installed Orbx's Kenai and Henrik Nielsens shipping packages I would recommend them as they really add to the local ambience...
Henrick has a drill rig headed toward Homer that caught my attention just the other day, and Kenai makes for a neat loop; Homer - Halibut Cove - Kenai and back to Homer.

Having fun in this local too,
Bob

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 05:16:51 AM »
Thank you for the comments on Halibut Cove. I saw a TV show about purchasing property up in Alaska and one of the episodes was at Halibut Cove. They took the boat over from Homer and as the camera's started showing the homes on stilts and how they all had that unique look, I knew RTMM had to make a scenery package for this place. I contacted Rod Jackson and we started brainstorming. Xavier Carre' helped with making some excellent custom objects based on real world structures and we were on our way.

As it took on a life of it's own, the team effort from RTMM is definitely on display at Halibut Cove. From Dex Thomas's AI boats to Robert Pomerleau's videos, and all the little touches in between. We all come together to make this one of our most detailed and special places.

Thanks again
Brad

Penzoil3

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 10:49:37 PM »
Can I safely put the AI for Halibut Cove in P3D 4? I'm hesitant to install Halibut Cove because of this...
 Sue

rgerdes

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 11:20:11 PM »
I'm using 4.1 and they all work for me.
Bob

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
Thank you for the comments on Halibut Cove. I saw a TV show about purchasing property up in Alaska and one of the episodes was at Halibut Cove. They took the boat over from Homer and as the camera's started showing the homes on stilts and how they all had that unique look, I knew RTMM had to make a scenery package for this place. I contacted Rod Jackson and we started brainstorming. Xavier Carre' helped with making some excellent custom objects based on real world structures and we were on our way.

As it took on a life of it's own, the team effort from RTMM is definitely on display at Halibut Cove. From Dex Thomas's AI boats to Robert Pomerleau's videos, and all the little touches in between. We all come together to make this one of our most detailed and special places.

Thanks again
Brad

Yep, Halibut Cove was a great project.  I have listed below a few facts and some interesting (and in one case sad) information related to our Halibut Cove project .

Brad contacted me with the Halibut Cove sceney project idea on February 15, 2013.  We began work immediately.  There were nine developers including myself and 3 beta testers.  The scenery was finally released on July 19, 2013 after 5 months of work. 

One of the features of the Halibut Cove scenery is that it bears a striking resemblance to the real life version of Halibut Cove.  So much so that we have a video comparing some of the real life structures to several of the scratch-built scenery structures we created.  If you haven't seen that video, take a look here:  http://return.mistymoorings.com/mistys/#videos

Over the last few years, the real life counterparts of two of the Halibut Cove scenery structure sets were featured on TV shows about buying real estate in Alaska.  One of the shows was originally aired before we built Halibut Cove (this show was probably Brad's inspiration though I didn't see it till after the project was done) and the other episode was on the air well after we released Halibut Cove.

It was very neat to see the inside of the house I built called the "twin boathouse house" as well as the beautiful inside of the house set Xavier built called the "big yellow house."  See pics at the end of this posting of the structures as they appear in our Halibut Cove scenery. 

The "twin boathouse house" was the property that a couple finally decided to purchase in Season 1, Episode 2 of the TV show, Buying Alaska.  The title of the episode was "Seldovia Fishing Paradise".  The original air date was October 21, 2012.  The 1 bedroom house on 1.5 Acres sold for $331,000.  The family was from Utah and this would be a summer place for them and their 5 kids to go to for fishing and other water based activities.  The dock turned out to be shared with one of the twin boathouses belonging to the featured property and the other boathouse belonging to a neighbor.  I cannot reproduce any pictures from the TV show here (due to copyrights) but you might see it in reruns or you can license viewing of the episode for about $2 via Amazon or You Tube.  On a side but very sad note,  a couple of months before this episode first aired, the husband, who was a CFI, died in a plane crash.  Here is a link to the news article on the crash:  https://www.ksl.com/?sid=21941165

The "big yellow house"  was one of the properties visited in the TV show,
Living Alaska - Season 1, Episode 9.  The title of the episode was "Hammershoy's Halibut Cove".  Its original air date was April 6, 2014.  The asking price for the 7,000 sq. ft. "big yellow house", that included the barn and boathouse/docks below the house was $1,700,000.  It includes 8.65 acres.  The inside of the house is gorgeous.  However, the couple that was looking did not buy this house but instead bought a different house that we did not model in our scenery.  Again, you might see it in reruns or you can license viewing of the episode for about $2 via Amazon or You Tube.

If you haven't yet visited RTMM's Halibut Cove, you need to think about making it your next stop!

Rod

Teecee

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 10:03:48 AM »
Thanks for  your great memories of this wonderful scenery Rob. I had nor realised that it was released so long ago. I have been flying RTMM for it seems eons, and only this last month got to visit Halibut..
A sad story about the pilot, but it's one of the prices pilots pay for their great lifestyle, and no matter how careful and well trained they are, "something" can always go wrong.
I only found out last night that a pilot I knew back in Aus died a few years ago. He was the "caretaker" and training pilot for a little airstrip in the Blue Mountains out of Sydney called Katoomba (YKAT) No doubt some of you have flown out of there in the sim. "something" went wrong for him, and he crashed and died on approach.
On a more Cheerful note, I'm  off to fly Misty's.. Thanks again for all your efforts. Teecee.