Author Topic: Tongass Fjords X crashes FTXCentral 3.2.3.0  (Read 3696 times)

briansommers

Tongass Fjords X crashes FTXCentral 3.2.3.0
« on: November 14, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
at least on my system it does.

I can repeat this like clockwork.

As soon as put in the entries in my terrain.cfg file and renumber them.
If I start up FTXC 3.2.3.0 it will crash it and it won't run.
as soon as I take those entries out, it works again,

however, even though it does crash FTXC it does WORK in p3d v4.1 just nice and fine, the water is correct and everything, no trees in the ocean.

However, this is a no go for me, because you have to be able to get to FTXC

so, just letting everyone know.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Tongass Fjords X crashes FTXCentral 3.2.3.0
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
Hi Brian,

Attach your before and after terrain.cfg and we can take a look.  Make sure you put them both in a folder and zip the folder so it is small enough to attach with the attachment option below where you post.

Rod

briansommers

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
OK, I'll try it.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »
Hi Brian,

Got it.  1st thing to try is remove the //1078 from the 2nd line of the new file since terrain.cfg format may only count a line as comment if the line begins with //. 
Meanwhile I will look at the rest of the file.

Rod

briansommers

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
that's it!

Thanks.

Very tricky. I do that all the time when it comes to the aircraft.cfg files if I want to adjust the brakes or whatever I will always do

2.3//original number here

and it works and runs but not the terrain.cfg
good to know.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
Yes sir .. the // works fine as way to add comments (or non code remarks) for aircraft.cfg and sim.cfg files and well actually those // do work as comment lines in all the cfg files that way EXCEPT in p3dv4x terrain.cfg file and prepar3d.cfg lines which are actual boot type indicator lines of value. You can interfere with the boot lines as these are lines of boot configuration values: they must be clean lines.

(Now underneath those boot lines, I guess we can call them, you can enter a new string ie: //old count 1078  and that comment does not interfere with the previous boot line or it's values.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

Penzoil3

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:48:44 PM »
http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3638.15

poppet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Unsuccessful Tongass Fjords install
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:02:33 PM »

Hello

As you well know at this stage,  Regarding Tongass Fjords and manually editing the terrain.cfg file,  if FTX Central is crashing this means your terrain.cfg file is corrupt.

When you launch FTX Central among other duties it will it will check your scenery.cfg file and your terrain.cfg file,  Specifically a corrupt terrain.cfg file will cause FTX Central to crash and will also cause trees and water to appear out of place.

Your scenery.cfg file and your terrain.cfg file are generated files,  meaning if you delete these files they will generated again as default (Clean files) when Prepar3D is launched next

Regarding Orbx Scenery only,  If you run into trouble you could simply delete these 2 files,  Then launch Prepar3D to the first screen and then shut it down again, This will generate these files again as default.

By then Launching FTX Central and wait until you see a message on the bottom left of the screen  "Activating Orbx scenery"  this normally takes about 10 \ 15 seconds. This will reconfigure all your Orbx scenery back into both of these files again

So basically if you run into trouble you could follow the above steps and then start again.

-------------

The trickiest thing about this great Scenery package is setting up the Terrain.cfg file,  A lot of folks will fall down on the re-numbering of the Tongass entries just like the Image below shows

Excuse the terrible bright blues and reds,  I really must update this

Re-numbering Tongass entries

And the DefaultTextureCount like the Images below shows

DefaultTextureCount
« Last Edit: Today at 04:15:19 PM by poppet »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 11:11:43 PM by Penzoil3 »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »
Hi Sue,
     I think it would be better to provide a link to the page, rather than pasting the contents of Poppets post here.  You've unintentionally disabled the links at the bottom of her post that explain the numbering process.  Those links are kinda important.  Simply refer to the other thread and link to it.  They can go look for themselves at the contents.   :)

Edit:  Also, if she edits here post there, it won't be updated here.  So there's that.   :-\
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:35:12 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
Misty Moorings Forums » Return to Misty Moorings (FSX/P3D) » Prepar3D-Version 4 »  Unsuccessful Tongass Fjords install

Post by "Poppet" http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3638.msg32300#msg32300

Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^