Author Topic: Unsuccessful Tongass Fjords install  (Read 6124 times)

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: Unsuccessful Tongass Fjords install
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »
Some other P3D config entry has to be corrupted Don.

If still a no go will have to do bigger house cleaning - or even as a last resort a complete uninstall, deletion of the hidden folders that aren't taken out during the P3D uninstall.. then starting fresh with a new install of P3D and tacking Tongass again as the first item to do before anything else.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

don235

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
Thanks penzoil3,
 I removed completely from the scenery library the Tongass Upper and lower priority scenery. I now have water and trees where they are suppose to be, however as you can imagine there are other problems with that. Elevation problems, polygons doing weird things. As you can see in the capture all of Tongass Fjords in now visible. There are other problems, as reported by others I now cannot use FTXCentral3 without it crashing.
I have not tried your suggestions yet I needed to get a "clean scenery cfg" I did not make a backup before. Also prior to removing said scenery I moved it all the way to the top and all the way to the bottom of the library and it made absolutely no difference.
Regards,
Don 

poppet

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
Hello

As you well know at this stage,  Regarding Tongass Fjords and manually editing the terrain.cfg file,  if FTX Central is crashing this means your terrain.cfg file is corrupt.

When you launch FTX Central among other duties it will it will check your scenery.cfg file and your terrain.cfg file,  Specifically a corrupt terrain.cfg file will cause FTX Central to crash and will also cause trees and water to appear out of place.

Your scenery.cfg file and your terrain.cfg file are generated files,  meaning if you delete these files they will generated again as default (Clean files) when Prepar3D is launched next 

Regarding Orbx Scenery only,  If you run into trouble you could simply delete these 2 files,  Then launch Prepar3D to the first screen and then shut it down again, This will generate these files again as default.

By then Launching FTX Central and wait until you see a message on the bottom left of the screen  "Activating Orbx scenery"  this normally takes about 10 \ 15 seconds. This will reconfigure all your Orbx scenery back into both of these files again

So basically if you run into trouble you could follow the above steps and then start again.

EDIT:  Just to add.....

There is no need to delete your scenery.cfg file if you are having troubles setting up your terrain.cfg file,  The above Information is only letting you know you can always get clean .cfg files by deleting them and launching Prepar3D.

Of course deleting your scenery.cfg file will disable (Not uninstall) just disable all your Non Orbx Scenery.  It wont effect the Scenery Add On's that have been Installed using the add-on.xml file method (Grayed out entries in the Library)  As these are launched from the add-on.xml file in Prepar3D Add on's > Documents.

-------------

The trickiest thing about this great Scenery package is setting up the Terrain.cfg file,  A lot of folks will fall down on the re-numbering of the Tongass entries just like the Image below shows

Excuse the terrible bright blues and reds,  I really must update this 

Re-numbering Tongass entries

And the DefaultTextureCount like the Images below shows

DefaultTextureCount

You would then Insure to Save your edited file by clicking File (Top left) and clicking Save
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:45:40 AM by poppet »
Elaine Dixon