Author Topic: Unsuccessful Tongass Fjords install  (Read 6126 times)

don235

Unsuccessful Tongass Fjords install
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »
Hello,
I just installed Tongass Fjords per Poppit's instructions and there are trees where there should be water, ocean.
I have triple checked all files are in the right locations and the all 40 terrain cfgs are installed and renumbered as instructed by Poppit .The Tongass scenery priorities are installed in the P3d4 scenery library and in the correct location relative to Orbx. I am at a loss to know what I did wrong. I am about ready to uninstall and try again. Any help would sure be appreciated in finding a fix or advice on uninstalling and starting over. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Don235

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Unsuccessful Tongass Fjords install
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »
Hi Don235,
     Welcome to the forum.  I don't think you should uninstall just yet.  Please do a search in the forum search box for "trees in water Tongass", and look through the results that come up.  There are various solutions presented for different causes to this issue.  If everything is in the correct place, and your scenery library order is correct, higher above lower and below FTX, then maybe you've got another problem.  ???   :-\

Let me know what you find out, please.   ;)

Sincerely,
   Captain Obvious
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:35:39 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

xxd09

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:06:31 AM »
Hi All
It is such a pity that there are no P3D installers for this scenery.
I find it such a miss and even thoughI can manage my way around FSX and P3D -this one beats me!!(even with Poppets instructions)
Concerted petition to the Developers!
xxd09

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »
Tongass Fjords is an older scenery package that was built for install into FSX but is was one of the most advanced scenery which included mesh/land-class as well as the scenery pieces. True that there is no installation program for direct install of Tongass into P3D but it is not too complex a procedure.

As Jeff has describes, you do have to add and correctly sequence the tongass higher & lower in your scenery library as well as correctly adding the entries into terrain.cfg. (Make sure you are editing the correct terrain.cfg: The one you have to edit is in hidden folder: C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Then check/confirm your FTX insertion settings (Library Insertion Point) and make sure it is set as follows:
openLC entries should be inserted below: Tongass_Fjords_Lower_Priority
and FTX enteries should be inserted below: (This should be your lowest 3rd party scenery add-on)

If you have everything correct but Tongass still is not displaying correct then something else may be messed up or there might be a small error in the terrain.cfg. Would recommend in that case turn off ALL your add-ons scenery entries in your scenery library except Tongass and FTX, recheck the terrain.cfg.

Also delete your P3D shaders folder:
which is  located at: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4   (Hidden folder)

(Deleting your shaders folder every time you add/remove scenery or when you update video drivers is a good practice to get into. (P3D will rebuild the shaders on startup but will update these files for the sim display changes that you have made to the system or in the sim.

If it works.. great. (ANd don't forget to go to the P3Dv4 page here and update the Tongass AI traffic models so P3Dv4 don't do the CTD when flying in the Tongass area.

If Tongass is still not displaying correctly, and you totally stuck, send over your terrain.cfg and scenery.cfg file and we can take a peek at them just to make sure.

Hope this helps Don.

Norm
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

don235

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:50:30 PM »
Hi Norm,

Thanks for the info and help I tried all of your suggestions and it is a no-go. It has to be the terrain cfg. I would send my terrain and scenery cfgs if I could figure out how. The message is the file is to big. I am sure there is a tutorial somewhere here on how to do it, I will get back to you.

Thanks,
Don

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »
Don,

Put both files in one folder, zip the folder and attach to your next memo using the attachment option below
where you type in your text to post.

The zipped folder should be under 200KB in size.  (Edit: Changed typo to 200 KB)

Rod
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:23:34 PM by stiletto2 »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
Hmmm Ok Brian..  here is a quick help for Tongass in P3Dv4 with the terrain.cfg entries..

just unzip into a doc... and there is another zip inside the doc which has the 40 terrain.cfg entries.

If one item is wrong in your terrain.cfg it can throw everything out ow wack.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:42:41 PM by nbrich1 »

don235

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
Hi Rod,
Thanks for the info. Sending both to you. As you will see all I have installed so far is all the orbx scenery and one FlyTampa scenery. This is a new computer with P3d4.1 installed and that is it so far. Tongass Fjords was next on my reinstall list.

Regards,
Don

Penzoil3

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 06:56:31 PM »
Alternate install method- 8)  Forget where I found this, but it works.

"I installed Tongass a simple way. You run your Tongass installer and point it to your P3D folder. Prior to that though, place your Terrain cfg ( a backup copy of your current one) and a current copy of your Scenery cfg into the P3D directory. Run the installer. After it is finished take out the 2 cfg's and place them back into your original location ( ProgramData/LM/P3D. You should open up the Terrain cfg and you should see all the 40 entries for Tongass in there. Same in your Scenery cfg, the entries should be in there. You then need to ensure that Tongass is placed in your Scenery Library in the correct location as per the instructions regarding where to place the Tongass files ( between FTX and OLC although I have mine set above both FTX and OLC) and that the Tongass Higher and Lower are correctly positioned.

The reason that Tongass would not install correctly originally is because the Terrain cfg and Scenery cfg used to be in FSX directory, but not so now with P3D. Hence the need to drop those 2 cfg's into the P3D directory temporarily, and then put them back in their correct location."

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »
Hi Rod,
Thanks for the info. Sending both to you. As you will see all I have installed so far is all the orbx scenery and one FlyTampa scenery. This is a new computer with P3d4.1 installed and that is it so far. Tongass Fjords was next on my reinstall list.

Regards,
Don

Hi Don,

Took a quick look at your files and didn't see any problems.  Maybe Norm will see something.  Which directory is your terrain.cfg installed in?

Rod

don235

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
 Rod,
The terrain cfg is in C:\ ProgramData\ Lockheed Martin\ Prepar3d v4.

This question is for Penzoil3; Just to clarify, I should uninstall and start over and use your instructions ? I have no problem with that, just want to make sure i am reading your instructions right.

Regards,
Don

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »
Well Don. Also took a good look at your scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg.. both look fine.

Everything else looks correct, the terrain.cfg entries and numbering, the placement and priority within the scenery library is correct and from this can tell that the FTX insertion points are correct.

The only thing I am not sure of if there is any mesh or LC in Flytampa scenery but it would be very odd if that would have any bearing on Tongass.. I don't think so. I guess to be sure, it would be best to turn off that Fly Tampa in your scenery library, and close out the sim.

To give all a reset of sorts: after closing out the sim, delete the shader folder
(C:\Users\Norm\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders)

and and delete the prepar3d v4.cfg located at C:\Users\Norm\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4.

Then restart the sim. As it starts up, the updated shaders will rebuild and the prepar3d.cfg will also rebuild and set the sim to default settings. (normal settings for graphics etc: this will fix any entries that may have got messed up in the prepar3d.cfg file).

Definitely a weird one. Give this a shot and report back.

Norm

Penzoil3

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 01:26:52 AM »
 8) Consider that a last resort. Try the suggested fixes first.
 Sue

xxd09

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 04:51:35 AM »
Hi Penzoil3
That looks such a simple way to install Tongass
Not much more than 6 steps.
Is it worth elaborating it a bit more and putting in the steps as bullet points 1,2,3 etc
My P3Dv4.1 is running well-last thing I want to do is crash it for the sake of one important but not vital piece of scenery!
xxd09

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 06:48:20 AM »
Rod,
The terrain cfg is in C:\ ProgramData\ Lockheed Martin\ Prepar3d v4.

This question is for Penzoil3; Just to clarify, I should uninstall and start over and use your instructions ? I have no problem with that, just want to make sure i am reading your instructions right.

Regards,
Don

Hi Don,

Assuming that the spaces you typed after the slashes in the terrain.cfg path are a typing error, I don't see an issue and yet your Sim is operating like it does not see the terrain.cfg you posted.  Very odd. 

Rod