Author Topic: Scenery Config Editor or Lorbi's addon organizer for P3Dv4.1  (Read 11350 times)

lionwing

• Live and let live...
    • Airwego VA
Re: Scenery Config Editor or Lorbi's addon organizer for P3Dv4.1
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 07:22:17 AM »
Hans

Sorry for the delay in replying to your question.

So first thing...create a folder when you would like your user installed aircraft to reside.  I would suggest one outside of the main P3D folder.

Start the Addon Manager, select "Other Addons" with the "Simobjects" category selected from the drop down menu, in the "path" point it toward the folder you created, enter a name, description in the "add-on.xml data" section before populating the category area with similar information.

Hopefully the image below will help also.

Add a aircraft to the new folder and all being well it will be available in P3D.  This method works for freeware aircraft.  I have not tried it with payware aircraft.

8)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:24:35 AM by lionwing »

Hans

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:48 AM »
Richard,
Thanks a lot for the detailed info. I tried it straightaway and it works very well with freeware addons.
I also tried it with Aerosoft payware, but that didn't work because the installer only want to install in the flightsim root folder.
I asked Aeroosft if there was a workaround and there isn't yet.

Thanks again,
Hans

BBQSteve

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
I have a question about layering. When I use the addon manager to create xml files, the layering seems to be just the next layer number. Adding multiple files and having to customize their layers is a no want to do, plus when you  throw in the orbyx and other scenery makers, it seems layering goes out the window.

Am I missing something or is there a secret recipe for this process?

lionwing

• Live and let live...
    • Airwego VA
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
The principles of scenery layering still apply with the Add On Manager.

In my view the complexity comes as it may well be the case P3D will be reading scenery files from both the add-on.xml and the scenery.cfg we are so familiar with.  If a scenery conflict arises then it is a matter of back tracing your steps to find the problem.

Most ORBX products sit lower down in a traditional scenery.cfg with third party products above them and conflicts in my experience are minimal aside from the odd "vector" problem.

Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to a good looking sim with nice scenery.  It takes time and effort so you may well have to move layers around to suit.  A good feature of the Add On Manager allows you to select multiple files and move them up or down together.