Author Topic: Hurricane Irma Updates  (Read 4292 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Hurricane Irma Updates
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
Looks like Hurricane Irma is going to be a serious threat to the Orlando area. My wife Nina and I are planning on riding it out. We've taken the necessary precautions and have secured our property as much as possible. Our supplies are good for a couple of weeks. Our major concern here is wind, not water since we're inland. However lot's of rain and hurricane force winds are not something to take lightly.

I'll try to post updates when I can here so I have some sort of outlet to communicate.

Wish us luck.

Brad

dbutterf

Re: Hurricane Irma Updates
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:05:55 PM »
Will say a little prayer for you and all the folks in the area.

Be safe.
Dayle
P3D v4 WIN 10 Pro i5-4670 CPU @ 3.4GHz 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »
Sitting here in Atlanta watching the track change from "my house" where I was to "Atlanta" where I came to avoid the darned thing!  I think it is following me!  :-\

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 05:04:39 PM »
One thing that some folks forget is that there is always a chance of the water system going down.  Happened here in Pensacola few storms back.
Good tip is to fill a bathtub with water so you can still flush the toilet with a bucket of water.  Doesn't take long to really become necessary.
Neighbors get testy if you use the backyard.
 :o
Later,

Spud

LouP

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »
Be safe!

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:39:02 AM »
Good luck, Brad!

Rod

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »
Good Luck!!!

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »
Latest update as of 8AM Saturday is for the center of the storm to pass west of us. That sounds like a good thing but the strongest part of any hurricane is the eastern half of the eyewall. And that's now tracking towards central Florida.  >:(

Of more concern is that my son, grandson, sister and nephew and their families all live in the Tampa Bay area. They're my main focus right now.

Fingers crossed.

Brad

av8erjm

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »
Not a prayin' sort of guy, but sincerest  hopes and wishes for everyone affected by Irma, The wife has a sis n' niece just outside of Tampa. They too have decided to stay put and wait out the storm. Much to the chagrin of the rest of the family. Never been thru a hurricane, but when I was 5 or 6 suffered thru a tornado and I still have dreams or nitemares about it once in a while, still don't like the wind, anything of 30 knots and I'm a cat on a hot tin roof

knswee

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »
God be with you and your family Brad, stay safe.

ken

Jmac

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 02:28:44 AM »
Thoughts with all folk that are effected, also your animals, hope you all ride through this safely.
Jmac

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
Well we made it. I grew up in the Tampa Bay area (Clearwater, FL), starting in June of 1962 and I have lived in Orlando FL now since 1989. Thankfully, Irma ended up not being the super strong category 5 we saw pounding the Caribbean Islands when it came inland over SW Florida yesterday, but it was still by far the scariest of them all that I've ever been a witness too. I have been through many Hurricanes during that time frame and can honestly say that Irma was the worst. Maybe it's because of all the social media platforms available nowadays, news outlets on TV, online, etc. The hysteria that surrounded the build up to this storm was unnerving to say the least.

Water was scooped up like it was the end of the world. All the stores were out of water. Gasoline was scarce and where it was able to be found, some desperate people were threatening other people in line with weapons to get to that gas. Seriously. People were evacuating in droves even though they were miles and miles away from any potential storm surge. (Which is what you need to evacuate from, not wind. You run from water but  seek shelter and hide from wind)

However, I saw many sides of humanity that were quite alarming during this storm. I myself was verbally assaulted at a convenient store cashier check out line because a patron of color, (who was in line when I walked in, left his place in line to go to find something else inside the store,) took exception to me as I took his place in line he vacated. "It's okay man you can take over my spot in line. I understand it's white privilege, so go ahead." I explained that I saw him leave the line to go back into the store for something else so that's why I stepped into line where he was. So I offered him back the spot he said I took from him and he refused my gesture. "No man go ahead, it's cool, you're white, I'm black. I get it." So I turned towards the cashier and she was shaking her head in disbelief. I stepped up to the register and paid for my fuel while he still kept muttering on about white this, trump that, etc.

I turned and left and we went on our separate ways. But I was shaken and alarmed that this is the reality of the world we now live in. People are losing touch with any sort of giving and sharing. It's all take, take, take. I stayed calm and tried to make amends to what he perceived was wrong, but he was uncooperative and had his own commentary to share about that which I feel was unfounded.

Well anyway, sorry for my rant but while there have been wonderful acts of human kindness and cooperation with the recent "Harvey" disaster in Houston Texas, there is an unmistakable rise in selfishness, intolerance, racism and senseless division in mankind that is rising to the surface. I fear for our future as a society as more and more leaders turn a blind eye to hatred and intolerance and even stoke the fires. It's out there on both sides and I pray and hope that good will prevail. But I have my doubts anymore.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:09:21 PM by Bradallen43 »

av8erjm

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
Brad, sadly I think what you seen is just a tune up for when the country financially capsizes and all the welfare and food stamps are no longer feeding them. Then you had better be prepared. This same guy trying to shame you or cause a confrontation will be trying to take what you have. Don't like being the harbinger of doom n' gloom, but my pragmatic nature can't help it, Hope your clean isn't too overwhelming

Blue Skies n' Tail Winds Jim