Author Topic: MOVED: Why is Nina's Sound Working For Some and Not Others  (Read 3434 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings

Dexthom

Re: MOVED: Why is Nina's Sound Working For Some and Not Others
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »
I have found the causefor the intermittant problem and will work on a correction.  For the time being,
remove all of Nina's sound files.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »
Dex,
I take the long road IE: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Misty Moorings\folder for each different scenery in this case MM Nina's Landing  I add the MM so all the RTMM sceneries are grouped together in the scenery library.  Dumping all the .bgl into one scenery folder and .bmp, .agn, .dds files all into a texture folder makes it too hard to keep track for me.  I prefer separate folders.  Either way works fine just a matter of preference.
Now for Nina's Landing.  I assume you read the posts about what I have done today vis a vis downloading the latest files and re-installing all of Nina's Landing.  I had the same three .bgl files in my install plus a bunch more but have deleted them so can not give you the names but they were a bunch of Nina's_Sound_Gulls_Controller_FSX.bgl, Nina's_Sound_Gulls_FSX.bgl etc. two files for each different .fx file in the sounds.  I followed the instructions but still wound up with these extra files in my installation some how. I'm sure the confusion stems from the way we are trying to do updates.  It is causing extraneous files to be placed in the scenery folder.  The most fool proof way to update is to provide all the files that are needed including files already in a previous version (if they are required) AND have the exact same file names for both the old and new files.  First you simple delete all the files from the old scenery folder, to purge any that are defunct or updated, then copy/move the latest files into that folder.  That way old files are replaced with the updated newer file and if there are new files never used before they are simply copied into the scenery folder.  I understand that the scenery files and the sound files are separated entities but keeping track of two different sets of files only leads to confusion.  We need to put both scenery and sound files into one download period.  Now if there are some folks that simply do not want sound files the read me can tell them which files to then delete from the scenery folder of the appropriate scenery.  This is why I use separate folder for each scenery.  I saw very quickly that throwing them all into a 'master scenery folder' would be a can of worms for trouble shooting.  When a given scenery and/or the sounds for it give a problem it makes it much easier to find and trouble shoot the problem.  I think one problem with our readme file for scenery installations is that it is too all encompassing.  It needs to be split into more than one read me. IE: Everything from the DESIGNER NOTES section to the INSTALLATION section in one read me and the INSTALLATION section and related text in another.  Frankly most folks are not going to read all the info in the present one and just do their thing so to speak.
Now that my install matches yours I'll revisit Nina's and see what it is like. 
 8)
PS: but not tonight I have been looking at Nina to the point I'm not gonna go there tonight.

Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »
WEEElllll while I was composing the above tomb something happened to Dex's original post and if I click on the link in Doug's post the post is no where to be found. ??
 8)
Later,

Spud

Dexthom

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Not to worry, you can go back to Nina's again, although it is a quirky place, that's a good thing.  Until I looked at the list and of the number of objects that Brad had to use to make such a nice place, and for FPS sake should not have more bits and bytes piled on top.  Perhaps I put too much and tested only at the dock and did not transition to and from the area.  Now my knife goes to work and we go back to the basics.