Author Topic: Thoughts about mesh in Tongass Fjords in P3Dv4  (Read 7652 times)

YoYo

Thoughts about mesh in Tongass Fjords in P3Dv4
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:43:53 PM »
Hi,
I'd like to share my thoughts about TF in P3Dv4 because I see some of anomalies here.
I started to raport it here: http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3468.msg31132#msg31132
BUT this is different subject.

I noticed strange problem of mesh+loading textures, when I was very close the terrain will build the new elevations with some of mess of textures. I tested many things including tesslations, mesh quality and TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10,9 or default without success.

Here is good example on this video (check the glacier mesh):

TF (with high/low) priority was between FTX openLC and FTX Regions in Scenery Library (according Elaine manual).

I discovered in the final that for this mesh anomaly has an influence the mesh much below: FS Global Ultimate North America (quality 5m). If it's unticked was ok and no any "building of terrain in front of my nose" effect.

So looks like P3Dv4 takes not elevation/mesh from the top of list from scenery library but from the best accurate! So be careful with this.

As I know Tongass Fjords addon has a resolution of mesh = 38m , FSGlobal Ultimate = 5m. Pity, because FSUltimate looks a lot of better, see this:

I havent this problem in P3Dv3 or FSX with this mesh and settings like here. It looks like P3Dv4 works a little different.

I also changed the position in scenery library of P3Dv4. Not between FTX openLC and Regions but over Regions and between Regions and airports (no problem with jumping textures but I must take more test, maybe it was just that mesh problem) <- checked, not needs this. Like here is ok too:

Next test - with active FSGlobal Ultimate and in settings = 38m no problem with building mesh when You are in flight. So maybe good option - if You take TF area and use better mesh than TF has (FTX Region or the other) use 38m if You notice it.

Im affraid only when ORBX will release ObjectFlow 2 (stable) and airports like Ketchikan or Stewart with 5m mesh. It could be a problem again.

Just 2 cents from my side or maybe someone has different opinion or idea how to solve this problem from video and mesh quality?

Regards and enjoy P3Dv4!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:08:21 PM by YoYo »
Webmaster of www.yoyosims.pl

YoYo

Re: Thoughts about mesh in Tongass Fjords in P3Dv4
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
Maybe good idea to move this topic to v4 corner http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?board=18.0 .

Penzoil3

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:44:35 AM »
 8)
 Any sim since FS9 has always used the highest detail mesh available. Where it is in the list doesn't matter. It's built into the sim, to used the best mesh it has. This is nothing new.

YoYo

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:05:41 AM »
8)
 Any sim since FS9 has always used the highest detail mesh available. Where it is in the list doesn't matter. It's built into the sim, to used the best mesh it has. This is nothing new.

I noticed it in P3Dv3 with FTX Norway too (FTX has here =10m, FSGlobal Ultimate Europe =5m and was the same problem, not very big but it was), agree, but for example in v3 I haven't this problem with Tongass Fjords like in P3Dv4 (or I dindt notice so much difference like now).

Is it any way to do permanent only the one mesh if the position in Scenery Library is irrelevant for this?  :-\

Dieter

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 03:55:50 AM »
- Would be a good idea to have the coordinates in the screenshots for doing a cross check.
- Doesn't FsAddon TongassX have  a mesh of its own (like all Orbx full fat areas)? In this case the additional mesh shouldn't have influence.
I'm using Pilot's FS Global 2018 FTX Download mesh. I didn't see this problem (up to now)
- In the video I also observed that there is a "shadow problem". The shadow on the glacier is moving with the aircraft.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:55:10 AM »

Is it any way to do permanent only the one mesh if the position in Scenery Library is irrelevant for this?  :-\

Hi YoYo, 

I believe the answer is no.  As Sue said, FSX & P3D will revert to the highest resolution mesh available (regardless of scenery priority) when localized close to your position, that is why you see it change before your eyes.    It is important to understand that when highly detailed scenery (with specific object placement, river placement etc) is created like ORBX regions, TFX etc, the developers build on a specific mesh which they either supply with the scenery package (like ORBX & TFX) or they tell you which mesh must be used like our BWEP pipeline project North of SAK.   If any other mesh (that provides an even higher mesh resolution for the same area) is also activated in the scenery library, then it must be deactivated before you fly in the scenery areas that supply or require a certain mesh.   Otherwise you will see negative things like rivers going uphill, objects that are displaced and terrain changing elevation when it gets near your aircraft like you show in your video.

This has always been true, however, as suppliers like Pilots provide higher and higher resolution meshes on a continental or worldwide basis, their files can easily interfere with the detailed scenery areas like TFX and ORBX regions.  When flying inside highly detailed regions like SAK, TFX etc. that were built with their own mesh, you need to disable any higher resolution mesh that might interfere.   

Here is a link to an ORBX thread that talked specifically about Norway and third party mesh interference: 

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/90824-general-elevation-problem-in-norway/ 

Rod

YoYo

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
- Would be a good idea to have the coordinates in the screenshots for doing a cross check.
- Doesn't FsAddon TongassX have  a mesh of its own (like all Orbx full fat areas)? In this case the additional mesh shouldn't have influence.
I'm using Pilot's FS Global 2018 FTX Download mesh. I didn't see this problem (up to now)
- In the video I also observed that there is a "shadow problem". The shadow on the glacier is moving with the aircraft.

Ad.1 - not necessarily, it was in the whole Region of TF
Ad.3 - FS Global 2018 has m=19 or more so You can't notice so big difference like here with m=5m
Ad.4 - no, it's a shadow on front of windshield of MV Beaver (yes Im beta tester of MV from years, noticed this but it never be solved in 100% for P3D) :).

I believe the answer is no.  ....

Thank You Rod, now its clear, so the best option is unticked the better mesh. Pity, but I havent any idea too, or use worse mesh than in Region ;).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 11:42:26 AM by YoYo »