Author Topic: Oh where oh where has my Season Switcher gone??  (Read 4847 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Oh where oh where has my Season Switcher gone??
« on: July 22, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »
Oh where oh where can it be?

Wow. Somehow my RTMM Season Switcher executable file has disappeared. The curseason.txt file was still in the addon scenery folder but the .exe file has gone AWOL. Erased from existence. (Doc Brown)

Now I just tried to download the RTMM Season Switcher from the website but it is being flagged as a Trojan Horse virus. I was able to download it after a couple of tries and turning off my Avast Internet Security program. But Microsoft Security Essentials is also blocking the extraction of the zipfile and all I get are the readme text files in the zip. No .exe file extracted.

Brad

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Oh where oh where has my Season Switcher gone??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
Hi Brad,

I have no trouble downloading it and extracting it and I have MSE.  That is very odd.  It does have an .exe file inside of it and the virus scanners are pretty sensitive to .exe files.   Did you try turning off Real Time protection in MSE just to do the extract (though I don't have to do that).

Rod

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
Well. I was able to turn off MSE and Avast to download the season switcher just now from RTMM and extract the files. I put the .exe file into my addon scenery folder and then let MSE run a scan of the PC.

Not a good read for this file. It's currently in MSE Quarantine.

Detected item
Trojan:Win32/Rundas.B 

Alert Level
Severe

Items:
file:C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Addon Scenery\RTMM Season Switcher v3.3.exe
file:C:\Users\Brad Allen\Desktop\RTMM Season Switcher v3.3 - Shortcut.lnk

Now what?

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »
Well I would have MSE remove it rather than quarantine it.  I will send you a link with it from my system.  I don't know how that file on the RTMM server could suddenly come up with something.  It has been downloaded for years.  It is probably a false positive.  Virus scanning is a science that needs much, much improvement.

Rod

av8erjm

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
It'll accept it for a while then all of a sudden it will remove it even though I told MSE to accept it or make an exception to it  Microsoft works for you

Mr Dirt

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:53:36 PM »
My AVG antivirus software quarantined it also.  I removed it also, but I have never gotten an infected file from this site.  I  re-downloaded it  and reinstall it because I feel it is probably a false positive.

Lipra

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 07:56:28 AM »
I had this problem some time ago there is some help in the trouble shooting section which may be of help.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 06:05:17 PM »
Thanks to Rod for helping me find out that the problem isn't with the RTMM file for the season switcher but with it being flagged as a false positive in virus protection programs. I've never had this happen to me before so I was alarmed by my virus protection program alert. Maybe I went about it the wrong way and I apologize if I ended up giving the impression that we had an infection in one of our files. It was not my intention and I was only asking for help and making sure I came here to ask for help with Rod's season switcher program.

In over six years,  we have never had issues with file integrity or infection problems and that's because of our top notch webmaster Dan Linn. He takes time out from his busy work schedule to make sure our servers and files are running well and clean and I know I speak for all of us when I say that his efforts are very much appreciated. So again, please know that I was only bringing up this one Alert I was having with the season switcher because it's never happened before.

Sorry For any  misunderstanding,

Brad

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:11:43 PM by Bradallen43 »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 08:17:12 PM »
Yep. Dan is someone who quietly works behind the scenes, without the recognition he deserves, making sure that the mechanics of this place work flawlessly. Without him there would be no RTMM as we know it.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Lipra

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 06:19:31 AM »
As a mater of interest was it the free Avast flagging it up. Or is another program giving a false positive.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 10:40:54 PM »
I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast subscription.

Brad