Author Topic: Any Word From Spud?  (Read 10293 times)

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Any Word From Spud?
« on: July 04, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
Last I saw he was in the grip of the ransomware pirates. Anybody heard from him since?

jsapair
Jsapair

Penzoil3

Re: Any Word From Spud?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:16:33 AM »
Whoa bleep ! When was this ?  Dang, and other profanity.
 Sue

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 03:05:29 PM »
     His last post was June 24.  We can only assume he put his computer in the shop and is waiting for it to get fixed now.  ???  :-\   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »
Got the system "erased", everything is GONE! and it looks like a completed re-install of 10 years of sim etc. files.  ATM I did install FSX and it worked but realized I had let the installer put it at the 'default' location on the HD which is, as everybody knows, a NO-NO!  Well I uninstalled using the DVD's and now it will not re-install no matter what I try.  Ran pgms. that supposedly wipe everything out including registry.  Noting shows when I look at C: but if I use file explorer I did get many instance of "FSX" files.  Since then I have been running everything I can think of and ATM I have nothing showing any "FSX" files in Explorer.  Yesterday after 16 attempts to install FSX I gave up.  This morning I just started an install session again and it is saying "Removing applications" with 5 'progress blocks' showing in the progress bar.  I've been here before and after 3 hrs. in never goes any further.  We shall see today??........
After about 5 min. the DVD drive seems to be 'chattering' quietly like its trying to read the DVD but it seems to be having trouble.  In the past there seemed to be indication of difficulty reading the FSX install DVD's and I suspect they have finally given up the ghost.  Of course I'm not going to by 'new' FSX DVD's as the prices are now outrages.  I'll plug away for awhile and see if anything can be made to work.  If nothing suceeds I guess it will be P3D as the only option.  I think that will mean purchasing the hundreds of dollars worth of FSX addons I had though and if thats the case I'm out of the simulator world for good.  Either way it would be weeks getting everything back working l guess.
I waited 2 years after FSX was released to switch from FS9 and since then I have been constantly having to fight this version which M$ released unfinished in the first place.  Just about to become a couch potato and watch TV in my final years.  Can't get around without my walker or cane anymore and just fighting this dumbass program is tiring and time consuming.
Sure do miss all the great folks I've 'met' along the way with the sim but getting discouraged rapidly since the ransomware attack.
Funny thing about that I would have never tried to open the file in the e-mail except that my son does order things via FEDX etc. using my system so I thought I would see what the order was for and call him with the info. Wrong thing to do obviously.
Oh well back to the grindstone (but my nose is getting sore!!!)
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »
Patience Spud. We are all here to help you in anyway we can. Please just ask for help and take your time, you'll get back in that cockpit. 

I know how discouraging this can be as I'm currently dealing with identity theft issues. Somebody made a $700 purchase at Macys.com by phone using my credit card. They used my first and last name, home address, home phone and social security number. I have Lifelock and they missed it. My credit union missed it. My wife caught it after we returned from Ohio when balancing the check book.

"Honey??, What did you buy for $700 at Macy's.com?"

Ah yes just love the world we live in today.

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
Spud,
If you can't get your DVDs to reinstall FSX, try a system restore to the point that you had it installed into the default so called "no, no" location. Lot;s of people have no trouble running it from there. It was just recommended to install elsewhere because people were fighting permission issues. Also, if you have access to another computer with a DVD drive, see if that drive reads the disks. I've had instances of my drive not liking certain DVDs or CD, but a drive in one of my other computers has no problem with them. This will at least tell you if you have faulty disks or not. If they read fine elsewhere, post back and I can help you get them installed on your main system with a little trickery.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BBQSteve

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
Byte the bullet and get P3D v4. Stop wasting time. This should be an omen to you, "step into the present and forget the past!" OOM's are a thing of the past along with CTD if you do it right!

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »
Byte the bullet and get P3D v4. Stop wasting time. This should be an omen to you, "step into the present and forget the past!" OOM's are a thing of the past along with CTD if you do it right!

That would require a 64 bit operating system.  Does Spud speak 64 bit?   :-\

(oh ... and the $ to upgrade to the P3dv4 platform.  Yikes!  Let's just try to get him flying again, first.) ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:25:31 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
Since his system is pretty new he's most likely already 64 bit, but he said that he can't afford to upgrade all of his older addons if he went the P3D route.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Penzoil3

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 10:04:01 PM »
Spud, get FSX on STEAM. All your addons will work just fine, just point the installers at the Steam install. FYI, don't let STEAM install in the default location either. Pick a drive with lots of room, and do F:\Steam or something like that. Avoid "Program Files". Works fine on my Win7 64 bit system.
  Sue
 http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/   OR

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Steam-Boxed-Code/dp/B00V84CZEG/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_63_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5THP2E2W2H9AR5B2XRYV
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:06:27 PM by Penzoil3 »

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »
Yikes, something is afoot, Watson. I would have to agree with Ualanis's idea of trying to go back to where FSX originally tried to install in the C: Program Files, X86, etc. Are the installation files there, Spud? I think it's imperative to get the darned thing installed anywhere it wants to install and change it later. Just thinking.

jsapair
Jsapair

marc2140

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 02:18:53 AM »
I have to agree with Sue. My latest reinstall-trial of fsx boxed costed me hours, days, weeks of frustration. As I was also not feeling so happy with P3D either, I made the switch to Steam. And I am glad I did. Until now all my old stuff works (touch wood) and it runs very stable, much better than fSX Boxed ever did. Some things only seem to run when they are installed under the Steam "shell", but that is only a small inconvenience when Steam is installed on a drive with enough space.
Success....
Marcel
Marcel

Intel i7-4790k @ 4.8 GHz-MBO Asus MaxVii Hero-Corsair 780T-Corsair PSU 1000w-Corsair H100i GTX cooling-G Skill 16gb 2400/CL 10 (2x8gb)-Geforce GTX980 4gb ddr5-SSD 850 pro 512gb-2Tb HDD WD black 7200rpm-LG Blu Ray-Wifi pci-exp N900 (dual freq 2.4+5ghz)-Win7 Ult OS 64bit-FSX-SE

Lipra

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 06:37:11 AM »
I would go with Sue and marc. If you are happy to wait keep looking at steam and see if they do an offer I paid about £4 which is about $ 6 or 7.
 You could also call Microsoft customer support and see how much they would replace the disks for. Although the  Last time I tried it, I found it cheaper and easier to just get another set.[ If you have to call the republic of Ireland they were charging 25% VAT ]

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
Steam = $15 + shipping on Amazon. Pretty cheap.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

rgerdes

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 06:50:54 PM »
Guess I'd go along with BBQSteve and recommend p3Dv4 - especially with a new system.
I went through about the same ordeal about 6 months ago when I got my new system and couldn't get FSX Acceleration to install - bought p3d and super glad it turned out that way.
But then I'm only 75 so what do I know... :)
Bob