Author Topic: Nina's Landing Sound Update  (Read 8006 times)

GrahamP

Nina's Landing Sound Update
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:01:38 AM »
Could somebody please clarify what should happen with the existing 6 sound bgls:

Cntrl_Ninas_Sound_Gulls_FSX.BGL
Cntrl_Ninas_Sound_Party_FSX.BGL
Cntrl_Ninas_Sound_Water_FSX.bgl
Nina_Sound_Party_FSX.BGL
Ninas_Sound_Gulls_FSX.bgl
Ninas_Sound_Water_FSX.bgl

If they should be deleted, the readme doesn't say this (the readme only mentions overwriting and these bgl files are not overwritten).

If they should be retained, they are no longer available for download.
Graham

Dexthom

Re: Nina's Landing Sound Update
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
Yes please delete the bgls.  They will not overwrite because of different file names.

GrahamP

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:15:21 AM »
Thanks  :)
Graham

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:12:16 PM »
A new "readme" has been included in the download zip to identify which files to delete/replace.

D

Dexthom

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:17:52 PM »
Graham, let me know when you are operating.

GrahamP

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
Hi Dex,

The sounds are working at Nina's but frankly they're not pleasant to my ears.

Some of the time I can here just the first 3 or 4 seconds of "party.wav" over and over again (so I hear somebody talk then laugh, talk then laugh, over and over again).

Some of the time it's a mad cacophony of gulls drowning out water and music.

Some of the time I hear the "Ninas_Music_Fifties.wav" but very blurred and repetitive, nothing like when I play that file outside FSX.

Sorry to be negative but they're not working well for me.

[EDIT:  I recall Spud posting previously about unpleasant noises at Nina's
http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=270.msg1730#msg1730]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:11:57 PM by GrahamP »
Graham

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:32:27 PM »
If they are not pleasing to you, then maybe you shouldn't try them out. I find them very engaging and I like the sounds. Just my personal preference.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »
Hi Dex,

The sounds are working at Nina's but frankly they're not pleasant to my ears.

Some of the time I can here just the first 3 or 4 seconds of "party.wav" over and over again (so I hear somebody talk then laugh, talk then laugh, over and over again).

Some of the time it's a mad cacophony of gulls drowning out water and music.

Some of the time I hear the "Ninas_Music_Fifties.wav" but very blurred and repetitive, nothing like when I play that file outside FSX.

Sorry to be negative but they're not working well for me.

[EDIT:  I recall Spud posting previously about unpleasant noises at Nina's
http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=270.msg1730#msg1730]

Graham,
what you describe about Nina's sounds was what I had as well.  I think what I did was to delete the folders and just reinstall Nina's and the sounds as well and things cleared up.  Most of the sound is gulls and water but at night there is some music from the hotel.
 8)
Later,

Spud

GrahamP

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 04:57:26 AM »
If they are not pleasing to you, then maybe you shouldn't try them out. I find them very engaging and I like the sounds. Just my personal preference.

That's fair enough, Brad.  I do have that choice.

It's just that I'm pretty sure what I'm hearing is not how they are intended to be heard.  Certainly nothing like other locations where the sounds are working nicely.  For instance, there's clearly something wrong when I'm only hearing the first 3 seconds of "party.wav" repeatedly looping.

It seems Spud heard the same as me and managed to rectify that, so I'll try what he's suggesting.  If that doesn't work I'll delete the sounds and say no more.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:41:46 AM by GrahamP »
Graham

Dieter

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 05:13:27 AM »
Open these sound files with Windows Media Player and you will hear how they really sound.

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

GrahamP

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 05:20:05 AM »
Yep, I already did that, Dieter.  Hence my comment "nothing like when I play that file oustide FSX" about Ninas_Music_Fifties.wav  in my earlier post.

And "party.wav" runs a lot longer than just the first 3 seconds outside FSX.

I'll try what Spud suggested.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:25:20 AM by GrahamP »
Graham

Dexthom

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 11:16:33 AM »
Sorry that you don't like them, just remove the bgl files for the sounds.  One little note, if you go into
slew mode, the sound will stop and when you come out of slew, the sound will start over from the
beginning.  I have done my best, folks complained when the music was take out, they complain when
I put it back!  I give up! :'(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:22:01 AM by Dexthom »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »
Sorry that you don't like them, just remove the bgl files for the sounds.  One little note, if you go into
slew mode, the sound will stop and when you come out of slew, the sound will start over from the
beginning.  I have done my best, folks complained when the music was take out, they complain when

Dex,
easy big fella, I can tell your getting frustrated with folks having problems with the sound files and I agree that if you can not make them work or do not like the sounds then don't use them.  The problem Graham has described is exactly what I experienced when I installed the Nina sounds so it is reproduceable most likely due to installation error.

I think a lot of the problems arise due to the file names not being consistent when scenery and sounds were first introduced.  This plus trying to make one install instruction fit all does not help.  I have tinkered with enough installations and even modifications thereto to probably have a slightly better than average knowledge base on what to do with what.  That being said I made some mistakes with the sound files too.

This is a almost totally new area for me and I imagine for most folks, so explicit instructions for each different sound area need to be included.  Remember that as the developer you are much closer to the ins and outs of the files than ''Joe Public and what may seem perfectly logical to you on the installation is not even on 'Joe's' radar. 

I think that file name consistency that has been implemented will help in the future.  We may get frustrated and 'bitch and moan' that "it doesn't work" but we'll work it out in the long run.

Another problem is just the sheer enormity of the download library and very rapid updating to it that has taken place.  I'm a retired GOF so I can use a lot of time working out problems and have learned to try everything I know and have heard or read for problems.  Newbies, young ones in particular, will be saddled with the Mc Donalds symptom (I want what I want, and I want it NOW! Not in 15 min.) to trouble shoot a problem.

And lastly, support comes with the territory when providing 'stuff' for the public and can be a real PITA but hang in there and this bunch will help with whatever we can to get r' done!

8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 02:01:23 PM »

uhoh, might have a problem.

After posting the above I visited Nina's to check out everything again and ran into a problem.  Landed with gulls and water sounds out in the middle of the harbor.  As I taxied into wharf area in front of the hotel right side (from the cockpit) the gulls sound stopped and I started to get the sound of screeching metal like an automobile break with worn out linings.  Taxi closer and that stops, at which point the talking sound will begin.  (this was all in daylight)  I decided to find the exact spot where the different sounds stop by using the slew keys and discovered what I believe is something in the scenery files.  As I was close to the hotel wharf with the voices sounds playing I slewed back towards the center of the bay.  There is a point that causes the airplane to suddenly jump into forward flight like if you slew up off the ground.  Only thing is, that after the first time it happened, I made sure to insure the A/C was on the water before coming out of slew to check the sound.  After this happened a few times, and because of it could never get the screen shot to show the position of sounds starting and stopping, my sim locked up and bringing up the task manager showed that FSX was not responding and I got the pop up send/don't send error report message.
Restarted the sim changed to the Misty Default Beaver, returned to Nina's and landed in the bay again.  Same Gulls and water sound.  As you taxi toward the hotel the gulls stop and only water.  Then the metal on metal screeching sound followed by a faint sort of clunk after which the talking sound come on.  Trying to keep everything in order I slewed back to the outer bay with only the gulls and water sound to try and pinpoint the place where the gulls stop.  (this is beyond the point where the A/C jumped into the air before)  Well as I was narrowing the spot down between the gulls and water point I got another lock up.
It is my feeling that the problem might be in the scenery rather than the sounds due to what appears to be a spot that the airplane thinks it is not on the water (mesh, flatten, I don't know but it is suspicious) and takes off, literally.  I am going to delete both Nina's and its sounds and reinstall to check that it is not me and get back with any results.
Later,

Spud

GrahamP

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
Graham, let me know when you are operating.

Dex,

I understand your frustration, but you did you ask me to come back to let you know.  I'm sorry you took what I found that way.

Newbies, young ones in particular, will be saddled with the Mc Donalds symptom (I want what I want, and I want it NOW! Not in 15 min.) to trouble shoot a problem.

For the record, I don't consider myself to be an "I want it now" newbie.  I'm actually another GOF and I like to think I have the patience to try to sort out why something's not working. 

I've tried to keep track and uderstand what I'm doing with the updates and Where they haven't been working properly I've spent time trying to understand why (as far as my limited knowledge allows).  Where I've found mistakes in files I've let you know, so that hopefully the downloads can be corrected (e.g. Misty's sounds).  Maybe I should just keep quiet.

Following Spud's suggestion, I have completely removed all Nina's Landing scenery and sounds files.  I then reinstalled version 2 with all new files (all scenery and sound files) from the downloads page.

Despite that, I still have problems with the sounds at Nina's.  They are also causing a stutter which I didn't associate with this until now because I was just concentrating on sorting the sound first.  When "party.wav" restarts every 3 seconds, my FPS stops for a second every time.

If I remove "cntrl_ninas_sound_FSX.bgl" and "nina's_sound_fsx.bgl", the stuttering stops (and obviously the sounds stop as well).  If I put these files back in, the stuttering starts again.  This makes it unflyable.

That's my feedback, which you may or may not find useful.

I have now removed Nina's Landing sounds and you won't hear anything else from me on this one.
Graham