Author Topic: Autogen level poll  (Read 2338 times)

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
Autogen level poll
« on: May 25, 2017, 01:34:27 AM »
When I'm finishing up a a scenery, it's important to know what the user is going to see on their end. Usually, before I send one off, I'll just turn my settings all the way up and make sure everything looks good. This doesn't really give me the best insight on what the average user is seeing, so I wanted too see what everyone else has their autogen settings at. Autogen is especially important, because if I make a "clearing" in the trees for myself, it may look completely normal on my low settings, but to a user with very high settings, it might look like someone dropped a daisy cutter! If you can vote in the poll, that would be very helpful.

Thanks! ;D
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

Penzoil3

Re: Autogen level poll
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 05:18:39 AM »
 8)
 It depends on where I am, and which sim I'm using. Around Seattle- normal. In the Australian outback, or the Canadian wilderness- dense.  More autogen in P3D than in FSX...  but still area dependent.
 Sue

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:50:06 AM »
FWIW, if you're creating your clearing with an exclusion rectangle then autogen level won't matter because it will look like a daisy cutter made it. There are also lines that can be added to the FSX/P3D.cfg that can limit the density of trees, buildings drawn per cell, etc. that some people may use. Therefore your question may not exactly relate to everyone's individual setup.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
Okay. I see what you mean. I was just collecting a little information for the next few scenery projects.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:50:34 PM by ryapad »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »
Good for you Ryan! Always thinking, asking questions and learning as you go. Keep up the good work.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

geezer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
I can't tell the difference looking at very or extremely dense so I leave it on very everywhere. 

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
Here is a random example of why I would want to know what the average RTMM user's settings are. Let's say I want to have a crashed plane that, according to the storyline, crashed in a clearing of trees. I would make a tree clearing using a program, and then put it in my sim. It would look normal to me, because just a few more trees might be missing than I would normally see.

Now, when someone with very high settings loads my settings up, there is going to be quite the peculiar clearing of trees in which the aircraft crashed. It would look more like the plane called someone on the ground to cut some trees down before he crashed. The area in which some trees were missing would be competently void of a thick forest they would normally see. Of course, maybe not everyone has their autogen turned all the way up, so this might not be an issue.

Thank you everyone for voting and giving some input :D

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 03:40:15 PM »
Hi Ryan,
I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to do in your above scenario, but I'll take a guess. If you're trying to make it look like a clearing in a forest that isn't completely devoid of trees, but is less than the number of trees that people would see if they had they're autogen set at a different level than yours here's what you can do. Create a clearing in the forest with an exclusion rectangle. This will remove all of the autogen trees and give you the daisy cutter look. Now, just add back some random trees to the naked area with your object placement program (you use ADE.) Use a similar type of tree that the autogen forest uses. This way it won't matter a bit what level the end user has their autogen set to. The vegetation.bgl has hundreds of trees of all different types. This is a 30 second process to accomplish in Instant Scenery!

If this isn't what you want to do, post back and we'll take another crack at it.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 05:54:33 PM »
Hi Ryan,
I'm not 100% sure of what you're trying to do in your above scenario, but I'll take a guess. If you're trying to make it look like a clearing in a forest that isn't completely devoid of trees, but is less than the number of trees that people would see if they had they're autogen set at a different level than yours here's what you can do. Create a clearing in the forest with an exclusion rectangle. This will remove all of the autogen trees and give you the daisy cutter look. Now, just add back some random trees to the naked area with your object placement program (you use ADE.) Use a similar type of tree that the autogen forest uses. This way it won't matter a bit what level the end user has their autogen set to. The vegetation.bgl has hundreds of trees of all different types. This is a 30 second process to accomplish in Instant Scenery!

If this isn't what you want to do, post back and we'll take another crack at it.

Steve

That would work. I was trying to get a feel for what other people had their settings at. Looks like I got what I needed though. Thank you avert one for voting :)