Author Topic: Adding NMM Scenery's to FSX  (Read 5915 times)

GrayRider

• I'm an old retired Vet from the USAF.
Adding NMM Scenery's to FSX
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »

I have a question about adding your scenery's.First.I do have all the FTX/ORBX and OZx scenery's installed in my FSX.I'm currently downloading your EZ1.Zip to be installed.

Where should the FTX Central be set,when I start adding your addon scenery's to say the FTX PFJ/PNW or NRM etc?.
Where should all your addon scenery's show up in my FTX Library?.Are most of your addon's for PFJ only?.

I'm asking these questions,because I don't want to mess anything up,when installing your NMM addons.The scenery addons are to nice,to make any costly mistakes for sure.I want to do it the right way.

Thanks for any feedback,before I get started.

GrayRider

Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Adding NMM Scenery's to FSX
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
GrayRider,
in the documentation that come with the scenery there are directions to use FTX Central's insertion point feature to place all FTX files below RTMM scenery.  Note the RTMM scenery does not intermingle with the FTX scenery in any way.  This will make the insertion permanent and you do not have to move files every time you switch between North America and Default with FTX Central.
 8)
Later,

Spud

GrayRider

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
GrayRider,
in the documentation that come with the scenery there are directions to use FTX Central's insertion point feature to place all FTX files below RTMM scenery.  Note the RTMM scenery does not intermingle with the FTX scenery in any way.  This will make the insertion permanent and you do not have to move files every time you switch between North America and Default with FTX Central.
 8)

I already have my insertion points FTX and OZx already set,which I did a few weeks ago.Currently my FTX Central is set for Australia.So I'm not sure if I have to switch to North America in FTX Central,when I start installing some of your addons etc.Maybe I can leave the FTX Central where it is?.
So when I start adding your RTMM addons,they should go where they need to go correct?,If they are self installers.Are most of your addons self installers?.

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:52:56 PM »
I am not absolutely positive about leaving FTX Central where it is and installing scenery.  My opinion, I always switch to NA when installing scenery that uses FTX North America scenery (Pacific Fjords) as the base scenery for add on scenery.  If I'm installing OZ scenery I switch to Australia etc.  Better safe than sorry in my mantra.  Besides it takes less than a min. to switch.

There is no self installers with the RTMM scenery ya gotta do it by hand.  If you install one RTMM scenery, switch to NA, install the one scenery per the instructions.  Switch to Default, then back to North America, to recycle the scenery library once.  Then look at the FSX scenery library, if your RTMM scenery is still at the top above FTX scenery entries then your good to go. If the recycle sets FTX above the RTMM scenery file then rerun the Insertion point utility and set it below the RTMM scenery and EZ1 library.

Different folks use different methods to install scenery.  You could add all the RTMM scenery into one large folder, IE: Folder named Misty Moorings with a scenery sub folder in which you place all the various RTMM scenery.  The problem with this method is that if you have a problem along the line everything is mixed up together.
On my installation I have a Master folder named Misty Moorings, I then add all the various RTMM scenery into this master folder IE: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX\Addon Scenery\Misty Moorings\Misty's Place.  (example of the added scenery is in bold each different scenery would be have its own folder with the scenery sub folder)

Long I know but I can manipulate any given RTMM scenery file individually this way.  At present I have 48 RTMM scenery folders and that does not include the Aircraft Carrier scenery.  It is just not in a location you would ever find a Carrier Air group operating so I opted to not install that one.
 8)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:13:23 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:41:25 PM »
FTX Central will need to be set to North America and you'll need to have the ORBX Pacific Fjords scenery installed.

GrayRider

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

I do have the ORBX Pacific Fjords installed as well.

In my current FSX library.My OZx installs are at the top.Under that is all my FTX installs etc.

It sounds like your RTMM addons should be at the top of my FSX library,above my OZx installs.Of course I know your addons need to be at the top of my FSX library.So the rest of the question would be.Should the RTMM installs be above my Ozx installs or below OZx.

Some flyers may not use the OZx freeware scenery's.Weather I'm installing OZx or RTMM addons,they both need to be above the FTX addons in the library.

GrayRider

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »
That is correct.  RTMM and the scenery libraries as well.  Be aware that TongasX libraries are used for some of the scenery which is payware as well.  Library order is covered in the install instructions for the scenery just read the manual.
 8)
Later,

Spud

GrayRider

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
Thanks Spud.

Yes I do have Tongass Fjords X installed as well.It's been a while since I installed it.I wonder if there are any updates/patches or fixes for Tongass Fjords X?.

So at this point.I'll install one or two RTMM addons,and see how it goes.Since there are a lot of RTMM addons.By the time I get them installed,I'm going to have a lot of addons showing up in the library,unless there is a way to group say 10 of the addons,so I don't have them activated one at a time in my library etc.
I guess as you say.There is a readme for each of the addons I might install.

GrayRider

GrayRider

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:18 PM »
I prefer to add one at a time and then if something goes wrong, I can troubleshoot it better. Just my preference.