Author Topic: M$ Leave me to hell alone!  (Read 5313 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
M$ Leave me to hell alone!
« on: May 13, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
Bitch MODE ON:

The one thing I hate is updates I don't ask for and WINDOWS 10 is famous for doing just that!  Now I see that other folks are getting in on the act.  IE: AVG has decided that the RTMM Season Switcher is a virus.  It keeps deleting it every time I install it.
I just spent the last hour trying to figure out how to exclude the switcher from being marked as malware by AVG.  The newest version interface is just terrible IMO.  Finally, I believe found a way to exclude it from being deleted by AVG.  Oh for the old days when we just wandered around fat, dumb and happy and things were simple and straight forward.
Exclusion of a file should be a piece of cake not a dark area to discover helter skelter!

Bitch MODE OFF!
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: M$ Leave me to hell alone!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
Defender did the same thing to me. But I got it excluded finally.

Doug

Penzoil3

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
If you tell Windows 10 that your wifi is metered, it won't download updates. Settings - wifi, if you have a cat 5 connection, it won't work.
 Sue

Lipra

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:52:28 AM »
If you tell Windows 10 that your wifi is metered, it won't download updates. Settings - wifi, if you have a cat 5 connection, it won't work.
 Sue

In light of the problems on the UK health service IT structure and many other s world wide. I would not switch off or delay any updates at the present time.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:30:16 AM »
 Sue

Sue,
have no clue what this means.  I use Cox.net for Internet no WIFI on my box at all.  One computer, one user (ME!)

Later,

Spud

Penzoil3

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
So your connection to the modem is a cat 5 cable. There are wireless connections, that's a wifi connection.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »
Nope, nothing wireless with my system!  The K.I.S.S. principle is supreme.
Later,

Spud

geezer

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:08:59 PM »
What a coincidence.  I came to the forum about the season switcher.  That damn thing doesn't even ask!  It just deletes.  I put an exclusion on the season switcher file and it still deleted it!  I'm about ready to look for a good free anti-virus anti-malware. 

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
With AVG here is the way to exclude files like the Season Switcher.  Bring up the AVG program click on "MENU" (upper right corner) then "Settings" and the Exceptions is the 4th one down in the 'General' section

In the Exceptions panel, you can exclude certain files, folders, or URLs from scanning. While it is generally not recommended, you may want to exclude certain files or websites from scanning, for example if you want to speed up your scans or to avoid false positive detections.

Select an appropriate tab to specify what actions an exclusion applies to.
Click on the text box to provide details:
File paths: type the file or folder location manually into the text box or click Browse, and tick the relevant folder.
Urls: type the website address.
CyberCapture: type the file location manually into the text box or click Browse, and select a file (.exe).
Hardened mode: type the file location manually into the text box or click Browse, and select a file (.exe).
Click OK.
To add another item to the list, select the appropriate tab and click Add. To remove an item, click the relevant row in the appropriate tab then click Delete.

Exceptions created in the File paths and URLs sections apply globally to all manual scans and active protection components, such as Shields. To exclude files only from a specific scan or active protection component, use the Exceptions section in the settings of that particular scan or active protection component.

Note: Set exceptions only if you know that the files and websites you want to exclude are not infected.

GEEZER,
what anti-virus do you use?  Please don't say NORTON!!!!
I used that for two years way back when and dumped it for AVG which I liked very much until the latest upgrade and it has become a major PITA when it started just deleting files without notification or asking!
Computers are becoming wicked little boxes that silently smirk and plan devious thing to mess with my brain. It has enough problems all on its own.
 8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:39:21 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

geezer

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »
I've never used norton.  Since getting my new computer about a year ago with win10, I use the Windows Defender.  Is that what you're talking about with AVG?

I put the seasons changer file in a folder.  Then I went into defender exclusions and selected that file.  A few minutes later the seasons file was deleted. 

I could have gotten win 7 with my new computer but didn't and now I'm paying the price.  I got win 10 because it's the future.  Some of my games no longer work.  Some future.  I can't even logon to windows without going through a major deal.  Used to be I could use a pin and I didn't like that.  It's my computer and I should have the option of an automatic logon, right?  But microsoft is GOD and they do what they want and that's it.  There was a file I downloaded last year for an auto logon but it no longer works.  This is what happens when one autocratic company has a monopoly and they decide what they want everybody to do.

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 04:59:37 PM »
Did you do all of step d. below?

a.     Open  Windows Defender
b.    Go to the Settings tab and select the Excluded Files & Locations.
c.     Browse and locate for the .exe extension.
d.    Add it to the list of Excluded Files & Locations and do the same way for Excluded file types and Excluded processes, then click on Save Changes.

Rod

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 06:13:05 PM »
"I've never used norton.  Since getting my new computer about a year ago with win10, I use the Windows Defender.  Is that what you're talking about with AVG?"

Geezer,
AVG is/was a freeware Antivirus.  You can still use the free version or buy AVG with more features etc.  The latest update is the first time I have had the problem with it deciding that the Season Switcher is a virus.  My main gripe is that it just kills the program with no choice for the user to say yea or nea.  My mind may not be as sharp as when I was younger but I can still make decisions good and bad.  Just tell me you found a program that seems like a virus and let me the user, owner, propritor, HMFIC, the BOSS of my box tell ya what to do.!!!  >:( :( ;D 8)

Later,

Spud

geezer

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 06:44:42 PM »
It looks like windows defender and avg did exactly the same thing at exactly the same time.  Makes me wonder if microsoft is contracting avg for their defender.

I used a program called iobit Advanced System Care for years and liked it.  It costs but not much considering what you get.  When I got my new computer with win 10 and an improved defender built-in, I decided to just use that.  I think I'll go back to iobit and solve the problem that way.   

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »
     Advanced System Care has been taking care of my computer for years now.  It "SEEMS" to do a good job.  I don't know if it stops viruses or not.  I never get any, but it never notifies me that it stopped any either.   :-\   My system runs fine all the time.    ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:37:56 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »
For what it's worth, read this all the way through.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/antivirus-software-1.3668746

"J. Paul Haynes, CEO of Cambridge, Ont.-based cybersecurity firm eSentire, said that while antivirus software used to protect against 80 to 90 per cent of threats, but it's now thought to protect against less than 10 per cent because of the cybercriminal tactics..."
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support