Author Topic: ORBX release update. Scotland v1.4  (Read 4982 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
ORBX release update. Scotland v1.4
« on: May 01, 2017, 02:58:51 PM »
If you have ORBX Scotland it has been updated to v1.4.  FTX Central will get the update for ya!

8)
Later,

Spud

idylapat5

Re: ORBX release update. Scotland v1.4
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:49:01 AM »
England was a miss for ORBX, but all of the north america work that I have bought are superb. There is nothing quite like the approach through the valley into CZST. CRM is also amazing, and the textures do a great job of matching the feel of the region. If you still have a little money left over get one of the North America regions, you will not regret it. In the future, it is also worth keeping in mind that the advertising shots are not what you should expect. It is worth expecting 10-20% less than that, because whoever is taking the shots might slew to a spot crank up the setting, and then take the shot while getting 5fps.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 12:10:06 AM »
Screenshot to help sell scenery are almost always little white lies.  But what commercial isn't?  ORBX scenery is IMHO still the best overall addon scenery for FSX/P3D on the market and worth the price.
 8)
Later,

Spud

THibben

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:01:53 AM »
Screenshot to help sell scenery are almost always little white lies.  But what commercial isn't?  ORBX scenery is IMHO still the best overall addon scenery for FSX/P3D on the market and worth the price.
 8)

I agree with you Spud.

Tom
Tom

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »
England was a miss for ORBX, but all of the north america work that I have bought are superb. There is nothing quite like the approach through the valley into CZST. CRM is also amazing, and the textures do a great job of matching the feel of the region. If you still have a little money left over get one of the North America regions, you will not regret it. In the future, it is also worth keeping in mind that the advertising shots are not what you should expect. It is worth expecting 10-20% less than that, because whoever is taking the shots might slew to a spot crank up the setting, and then take the shot while getting 5fps.

What do you think the miss for England was? I don't have England yet, Just wondering. I think someone else said this a while ago, but ORBX screenshots are like a cheeseburger ad. They don't look at all like the ad, but they are still good. Many people think ORBX is going to completely change the region they are in, but it mainly just fixes thing up. Better landclass, mesh, accurate coastlines, landmarks and objects at airports are what I can think of off the top of my head. There nothing like ORBX :D ::)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 06:31:32 PM »
The reason for England being a 'miss' is very simple.  ORBX partnered with another group of developers and branded England with the ORBX name but it is actually another company's effort and in a word it was STUFFED!
Still usable but not ORBX region quality.
The two developers parted company quickly after England fiasco.

Addendum:
I don't mean to say England is not worth buying, it is very much better than default and has a great deal of detail.  Improves flights over the country.
At one time if you were in England and wanted to fly across the channel to Europe it was best to turn off England scenery but that has been fixed and no longer necessary.  I have and use FTX England scenery and enjoy flights over the landscape.
 8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:12:09 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Lipra

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:59:58 AM »
England and Scotland are two different places.
 Did they use the same people for the whole of the UK ie. England Ireland Scotland and Wales.
 I have the Horizon photo for the UK just because that's what was available at the time

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
I think the existence of the Horizon scenery also had a lot to do with the troubles with ORBX England.  Before I got on the ORBX bandwagon in the states, I had been a long time Horizon user with all of the many addons from some very talented developers.   As Spud said, when ORBX England is compared to default it is much, much better.  But not necessarily so when compared to Horizon VFR plus 3rd party addons.

I watched with great interest to see how a large group of simmers who had many dollars invested (Horizon is expensive) in the Horizon VFR scenery plus addons which represented the finest photoreal flying experience available at the time and may still be the best.  Many areas had autogen hand annotated onto the photoreal images from third parties etc. And, of course, VFR London X did a great job of 3D photo real in the city.   In the end, it became a battle of photo real terrain plus 3D objects in many areas vs. photo similar but not real terrain plus 3D objects in all areas.  Many users decided against ORBX England because they had gotten so used to what the terrain looked like for real. 

Here is a video link that someone made comparing ORBX England with Horizon plus the addons so you can see for yourself keeping in mind the video used Horizon areas that had lots of 3rd party addons to give it the 3D objects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7uTh_oFiE

You can see from the comments below the video how some viewers went Horizon and some went ORBX.  I think this battle definitely had a major effect on the success of ORBX England.  But, that is just my opinion.

Rod

Lipra

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 11:03:02 AM »
The UK horizon was indeed expensive about 9 or 10 separate  box sets and now unfortunately very out of date, unless some one has an update url for them.[I live about 3 miles west of Biggin Hill [EGKB] and there is a tram that was built about 10 years ago not on the scenery near me]
Still interested to know if the same people did the other regions of the UK or if they were done in-house by Orbx.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »
ORBX did the other UK regions and they are great!
Later,

Spud

geezer

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 10:00:36 PM »
If anybody likes the Scotland region, you might also like Scotflight for Orbx to supplement it.