Author Topic: Addon scenery showing black and white boxes at distance  (Read 3570 times)

bawheeler

Addon scenery showing black and white boxes at distance
« on: April 23, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
I am hoping this might be a simple DX10 adjustment, but I notice that my custom scenery locations, even USFS cabins, seem to have black and white flashes from a distance.  When I get closer to the location it disappears.  It is not the big looming black boxes issue.  This image shows Ketchikan area from a distance and it is like black and white twinkles on the coast line.  Any fix suggestions? Thanks!  Brian
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Addon scenery showing black and white boxes at distance
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »
Are you using Steve's DX10 Fixer utility or just ticking DX10 Preview in FSX?
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

bawheeler

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 08:53:11 PM »
I am using Steve's DX10 Fixer
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »
Does it behave that way if you revert back to DX9 in the Fixer? Give it a try and report back.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

bawheeler

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »
Test completed. It behaves the same way in DX9, and adds a whole lot of other trouble (much poorer graphics overall)!

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
I think what you are seeing is normal. It's the marina across from and just east of PAKT. It's that mass of sailboat masts. I see that, too, with PAKT payware, even when I pull into the lower level of the airport it's still there, but reduced. I don't think you have a problem.

jsapair
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
looking at your screenshot in a larger format than the small picture you posted I can see many black squrares in the scenery in the distance which is usually an indication of trying to use the DX10 mode in FSX simply by clicking DX10.  It indicates that either you don't have the 'fixer' correctly installed or some other anomaly.
Additionally ALWAYS include the Lat./Long. in screenshots so that they can be duplicated exactly by others so we see the same things.
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »
Uhhh...if you carefully read what he said is that he has Steve's fixer installed and hasn't simply ticked DX10 Preview in FSX. He also states that he has this problem in DX9 as well. My guess is that he has added numerous tweaks to his fsx.cfg that are muddling things for him or that his computer is having trouble loading textures.

bawheeler,
Backup and then rename your current fsx.cfg and let FSX create a fresh one the next time it starts. Run it in DX9 mode. If all looks good then add just the few lines to your new fsx.cfg that are referenced in the "Fixer" docs. Add no other tweaks! Reinstall the DX10 shaders using the Fixer's "FSX DX Setting" option and see what things look like now. Make sure you make the few recommended NVidia Inspector adjustments as well. (If you have an NVidia card.)

BTW, what are your computer specs?
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

bawheeler

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:05:22 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for the advice... I think I'll just go back to flying and perhaps this will disappear with a future video card upgrade!  I am on an older ATI Radeon HD 5700.  I started googling for DX10 fixer posts related to the ATI and I am not sure I want to go down this rabbit hole.

Happy flying!  Brian

Penzoil3

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 10:36:01 PM »
 8) As a lifetime ATI user, I agree. Five years ago, that was a good card. That older card will struggle with FSX. An upgrade should help immensely. Is the rest of your computer that dated ?
 Sue