Author Topic: SAK Sea Plane and Juneau Harbor's animated hangar?  (Read 10731 times)

bawheeler

SAK Sea Plane and Juneau Harbor's animated hangar?
« on: January 29, 2017, 05:43:39 PM »
Installed the SAK Sea Plane package today and I am trying to determine why I can't see the animated hangar described in the README.  In this photo you can see the location where I think the hangar should be, but it is full and doesn't appear to have a door.  Any ideas?

I do have the EZ_1 and Snow Dog Tour libraries installed.

Thanks!  Brian
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: SAK Sea Plane and Juneau Harbor's animated hangar?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:15:44 PM »
Brian,
We need the coordinates of the location where your screenshot was taken. It would be like looking for a needle in a haystack for us to find it.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:26:34 AM »
I know where he's at. Juneau Harbor, past the bridge towards Taku. A hardened ramp that you can drive up on and open the hangar doors by setting a freq on NAV2. It's still there and the hangar doors work for me. Pics attached.

Ramp: N58 17.10, W134 23.47

Nav2 114.5

He has mesh or placement problems.

jsapair
Jsapair

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:28:36 AM »
This may help .... animated hangar doors used a FS9 code structure that is no longer supported in P3Dv2 and above.  As a result, RTMM updated its libraries and removed/replaced the animated hangars.  Not sure why this one is still in existence unless it is not coming from RTMM's libraries or we missed it.   

I am guessing that Jsapair is not using P3D and baswheeler is....

Again, just a guess...

Rod

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
I just installed this; didn't have it before. What bawheeler is seeing is correct (other than his mesh problem.) As Rod points out, P3D broke those types of animations and they were removed at the time of the FSXP3D conversion. Therefore it won't show up in scenery at the 5Z1 dock.

Instant Scenery reports that there are 2 undefined models in the SAK Sea Plane Base 5Z1.bgl meaning that they no longer exist in the FSXP3D libraries. The animated hangar is obviously one of them and there is another undefined model on the dock that I can't identify. Bottom line is that neither of these objects exist in the FSXP3D libraries and therefore won't show up.

Now as for why jsapair sees things differentl: it's an indication that he doesn't have the proper FSXP3D libraries installed and/or he has an old EZ library sitting around that's interfering.

One last observation is that the "readme install SAK Floatplane Bases .txt", which was written before the FSXP3D library conversion project,  is incorrect in stating that there is an animated hangar at that location and the read me should be changed at some point.

Steve
RTMM Object Librarian
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 11:56:24 AM »
I was surprised to find it operational as well, as I thought they went away. My original thought was that the README was outdated, too, so I decided to go have a look. I'll do a search for that SAK Sea Plane Base 5Z1.bgl and see what pops up. Nope, no match. Anything else I could look for?

Rod, yes, FSX DX10.

jsapair
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 03:43:54 PM »
FSX (stock) 5Z1 (Juneau Harbor) comes up as a water runway in the middle of Juneau Harbor and there is no dock or other scenery.  My SAK Sea Plane Bases file is dated 5/18/2016 same as the present D/L.
I recall that we had a dock with an animated hangar at the north end of the bay at PAKT that is no longer there in FSX and the new libraries.
If all your libraries are not up to date as well as the scenery files you will see old scenery because of the outdated D/L.  This is probably the reason some are seeing the animated hangar etc.
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 08:14:11 PM »
I did find the SAK Sea Plane Base 5Z1.bgl via manual search in the SAK Seaplane Bases folder, which is dated 6-17-2016...as is everything in that folder. That's about the time I was reinstalling all my RTMM files so I think that's the date it's reflecting. Why a file search doesn't find it I have no clue.

I haven't noticed any problems, it just would be interesting to know why I can see it. Gotta be coming from somewhere, right?  I don't have any duplicate or outdated libraries that I'm aware of. All the old libraries were deleted when we switched to the FSXP3D libraries ages ago. So, if you guys want to troubleshoot it out of your own curiosity I'm more than happy to oblige.

jsapair
Jsapair

bawheeler

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 10:55:01 PM »
Thanks for all the interesting feedback.  So I guess I have the newer libraries in my FSX and I should no longer expect to see an animated hangar.  Oh well, that was a cool feature.

But now that you mention it, how do I fix the "mesh problem"!?  Is that what is my landscape looks not so great?  In a previous thread I questioned whether ORBX and/or Tongass was working properly, but got the sense I had it as tuned as I could get.

Brian
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

Penzoil3

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 03:18:02 AM »
This is the mesh the OrbX developers use. It's also the mesh most of the RTMM guys use. Please note, you had a new library vs old problem, you did NOT have a mesh problem. However the mesh is on sale for half price... 8)

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2648

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:49:32 AM »
I stand corrected with him displaying a mesh problem. However no one needs any additional mesh products to properly see anything that RTMM creates. Default ORBX mesh works fine in all cases. Just to set the record straight, "It's also the mesh most of the RTMM guys use," is a wrong assumption.

Steve
RTMM Library Manager
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:24:08 AM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Penzoil3

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 05:10:23 PM »
This is what I based that statement on.
Bradallen43

Misty Moorings Team
        View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Pipeline breaks
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 07:01:51 AM »

Okay,

This is my fault. I should be very specific with what I used when I designed the scenery and relay that information properly into the readme install text file I included in the zipfile. My apologies. I only used an ambiguous description of what mesh to use. "We recommend that you also have ORBX Global, ORBX Global Vector and ORBX North American Landclass alongside a detailed mesh product installed to properly view this edition of the scenery." Now discovering how much that can lead to other alignment issues.

So, I'm going to ask Doug to pull Richardson Highway at this time. I'll rewrite the install text specifically calling for the Pilots "FS Global 2010 Scenery Mesh "FTX" Edition" as the required mesh to have installed to properly see these sections outside of SAK.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 08:17:08 PM »
To avoid any further confusion or misunderstanding, the Richardson Highway version released on 1/27/2017 installation read me clearly states "We've discovered that the pipeline will display properly without any mesh installed."

To further clarify, Brad uses Pilots "FS Global 2010 Scenery Mesh "FTX" Edition in laying out the pipeline. However, as mentioned, it isn't necessary to own that product to view the Richardson Highway segment as designed. ORBX Global, ORBX Global Vector and ORBX North American Landclass are "all" that are required with no elevation issues or breaks in the pipeline occurring. In fact, both Doug and I have designed scenery for Richardson Highway and neither of use nor have any add on mesh products.

Problems arose with the "Ultimate" version of FS Global Mesh was being used after the first release of Richardson Highway. Thus the necessary revision to the read me file.

I hope this clears up any ambiguity or confusion that may have been implied in the quoted forum post.

Steve
RTMM Object Librarian
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

bawheeler

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »
While I haven't tried the pipeline yet (sounds fun), this conversation got started about the Juneau  animated hangar and my "mesh problem." 

I tried installing FS Global 2010 Scenery Mesh as suggested above and it has not changed my scenery quality, seemingly no matter where I have it placed in the order.  After the install, it was placed very low (layers 75-82), so I gradually moved up FS Global 2010 (North America and Local Meshes) and tried various iterations.  No changes.  I currently have it above all ORBX scenery just following all my RTMM scenery and no change.  The major scenery I have added now includes: Tongass Fjords X; FTX ORBX SAK, PFJ, PNW, NA Airport Pack; FS Global 2010 FTX.  This post -- http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3271.msg28235#msg28235 -- has a couple other screenshots of what I am seeing.  Suggestions?  Thanks for all the help.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
You are right, this thread got off topic and the discussion and explanation above probably belongs elsewhere.

Are you expecting improvements to the look of autogen and ground textures? The addon mesh will improve the look of terrain changes, mountain contours, slopes, elevation detail, etc.  It won't improve basic ground textures or autogen. Maybe I don't understand what quality improvements you're expecting to see.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support