Author Topic: The power is out!  (Read 5902 times)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
The power is out!
« on: January 10, 2017, 11:20:55 PM »
 :o

We are having severe wind storms in my area right now.  The power went out about an hour and a half ago.  We sat in the dark and waited.  The power has just come back on and I checked my email.  My power company sent me an email to inform me that the power is out!  I could rest assured that they were on the problem and would have the power back on soon.  I broke out in laughter and had to share.   ;D

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: The power is out!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 12:19:37 AM »
Yay!  Another email confirms that my power has in fact been restored.  Thanks Puget Sound Energy.  They also mentioned that if my power has not yet been restored, I should call them immediately to get it fixed.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:37:15 AM »
Had to laugh, Jeff. Same here. They call, Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), to let me know my power is out. Well, duh. But my phone doesn't work when the power is out. So, once my power is restored I have a voice mail telling me my power is out, followed by another voice mail telling me that my power has been restored. Well, double duh.
Jsapair

Penzoil3

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 06:53:51 AM »
 8)
 Yeah, Salt River Project here in Arizona does that too. I guess I could be checking my email on my cell phone. But heck, I can tell when the power is off...
 LOL
 Sue
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:57:38 AM by Penzoil3 »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:32:08 AM »
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) up here in Ontario: They don't call or send me an email about a power outage but like a few of those in AZ, I, for the most part, can also tell when my power is out!  I can tell because I find that I have display problems on my computer - for some reason my sim won't fire up the monitors and usually there's no other explanation for it!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:58:54 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »
Yay!  Another email confirms that my power has in fact been restored.  Thanks Puget Sound Energy.  They also mentioned that if my power has not yet been restored, I should call them immediately to get it fixed.   ;)

;D ;D ;D

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

THibben

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
Hey folks, we are living in a different world now.  If they hadn't told you the power was out and then back on someone would probably try to sue them....grin

Tom
Tom

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »
My power went off last night as well and I called in to report it (it was the line running from the road to my house, 1/4 from the road.) They asked if I wanted a call when power was restored and I told them that no, I'd be able to tell when it was back on. However in thinking about this I can see their logic. If they have a cell phone number for you and the power goes off while you are away from home, on vacation, at work, etc. then an email or a voice message left on your phone would be nice, as well as an email/voicemail when it comes back on. So what seems as really stupid thing to us is very useful tool for folks who aren't at home when their power goes off; especially when it's 95 degrees outside and your freezer is loaded with steaks.Think about it.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 01:21:25 PM »
Could be Trump's buddy "Vlad the impaler" checking to make sure they now have control over our grid.

;)

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 06:30:29 PM »
My power went off last night .....
Steve

Hey, Steve...that was quite a windstorm especially around 10 PM or so when a steady 39 mph wind was being reported (Tropical Storm force) with one gust at 59.8 mph.  There were pieces of the house next door all over the place.  Oops, forgot to mention the house next door is new construction and had just been dried in for final shingles.  Guess that had to redo some of the underlayment before they shingled.  Everything stayed in one piece at my house.  Gotta love underground wiring, never had any power blinks.

Rod

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »
Rod,
At least the temperature wan't in the low teens like it had been so the house didn't get too cold. They told me it would be 8 hours to fix but it was only 4 hours. I think something happened to a transformer.

I begged the power company 25 years ago to re-run my lines underground, but because I live in the woods 1/4 mile from the road they laughed at me. So now about once every couple of years they're here in the middle of the night in inclement weather repairing downed lines.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 10:50:14 PM »
Steve, be happy you have power that is still maintained by the power company. They are not going to buck the status quo. If you supplied the ditch, the conduit, and the wire...and throw in a few junction boxes for splices... you could hire an electrical contractor to do it. But then they would designate the tie-in as a demarcation point, probably with a breaker, and you would then own everything from the street to your house... they would wash their hands of it. Much cheaper for them to send out a crew to fix a downed wire :o

jsapair

Jsapair

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 11:48:07 PM »
I bought a generator years ago instead.  :)
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 03:45:44 AM »
That sucks!

I live fairly safe here - power outages are exceedingly rare in urban Germany. It is even rarer for the telephone landlines to go down, because they have a completely different power net and voltage. Besides, even if my nearest transformer were to go down, there'd be a re-router kicking in to supply us from a different part of the net.

But if it ever should happen here, I guess I'd be woken by the UPS alarm going off. Hmmm. Then again, that might not happen as the backup batteries are long overdue replacement - however, as I have now retired and no longer work with my PC, that isn't likely to happen any more  ;)

Still, reading this thread has served to remind me just how truly rich some of us are; the last power failure I experienced was 17 or 18 years ago, in Greece. I was day-boss at an Internet Café at the time and we had 10 UPS in place plus a modestly large (and noisy) (and expensive) petrol generator out back. A recent visit to a local D-i-Y home store was a surprise too - a modern Honda or Briggs and Stratton powered generator is almost cheaper than a quality UPS with a half hour backup battery.

Times they sure are a changing!

...and remember, electricity doesn't come out of a hole in  the wall. Er... oh, it does?
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)