Author Topic: Ryan's New Computer  (Read 4826 times)

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Ryan's New Computer
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:06:34 AM »
Just wanted to say that you don't really need a hot-rod machine to run FSX. If you are into other gaming, well, that's a different story. The basic thought is you buy the very best you can afford no matter what you use it for. That said:

I had my last computer built by CyberPower. They are pricey, but they allow you to pick and choose what components you want installed and they give you a price. That gives you an idea of what you want in your machine will cost, so you can shop elsewhere also. What I learned:

Didn't need a full case. This thing is a monster.
Didn't need the whole Dolby Digital Sound Package.
Didn't need 16GB of RAM...8 would've been sufficient.
Didn't need 1000W PSU...750 would've been sufficient.
Didn't need the Neon Light Package for the case.
I seriously doubt that I needed the water-cooling package. I'm not stressing anything by any means.

Myself and Ualani are running Nvidia 760 GPU's which we find adequate.
I'm running an i7 Quad core 3820 OC'd from 3.6 to 4.2 Mhz.

Those tips can hopefully save you a few bucks.

jsapair
Jsapair

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Ryan's New Computer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 12:14:14 AM »
J.J.,
Without that water cooler I doubt you'd be able to OC to 4.2 on stock cooling without overheating.  :)
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:01:03 PM »
I don't really think I could build my own computer, espcaially sonce it would start getting more and more expensive as I go along.
This part is only $20 more expensive, right?
  I here people saying it is just an advanced LEGO set, but as with everything that has to do with computers, there is a lot that could go wrong. Also, the thing about with computer parts that they have a odd name followed with a bunch of random numbers. Could someone explain what those mean?

here is a random inexpensive gaming computer from eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Built-4-0GHz-8GB-DDR3-1TB-Gaming-Desktop-PC-Computer-System-Quad-Core-New-/332082583606?hash=item4d51aa1836:g:qTMAAOSwiONYQc~M

Would this be capable of running FSX well? Having an SSD would be nice. I would like to have Windows 7 also, it just seems better for advanced users.

I would probably only pay $400-$475 for a computer, so that cuts off pretty much everything except the budget gaming computers. I already have keyboards and monitors laying around, so I wouldn't need to buy any of those.

I don't really know anything about computer parts (CPU's, GPU's, a little bit about RAM and OCing), so if you could tell me anything about those thing (What all of the crazy numbers mean), That would be very helpful.

Thanks,
                                                           Ryan

PS: My friend has an Alienware. We fly together. He gets 200 fps, i'm sitting there trying to get 25 ::)
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 04:05:33 PM »
Hi Ryan,
     I have always built my computers from scratch, so to say.  I ordered a case that was cool and breezy.  Much ventilation and fans galore.  Cases are not expensive.  Probably under $50.  Then choose a motherboard.  A gaming one, with four RAM slots and at least 2 PCI-e slots for the video card and a spare.  I am partial to MSI and AMD brands, but you may like Intel and NVidia.  Putting a computer together is easy.  It is very hard to plug into the wrong connector, or put a card in the wrong slot.  Everything is custom made to only plug in to where it is suppose to go.  Motherboard plugs and pins are labeled what they are for.  You need to make sure plugs and cards and RAM chips are firmly seated in their slots, etc.  Read the manuals and become familiar with your components.  When you're done, you can be proud of your custom-built gaming rig.   8)

... or you can just buy one on ebay.  Where's the fun in that?   ???   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »
How long does it take to build one, after you have bought all of the parts? One thing about building your own is that it seems to get more and more expensive as you go along building.
                                                     Ryan

jsapair

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 06:59:26 PM »
Steve, good point on the water cooling and the OC. Probably why it became part of the package when I ordered the overclocking option.

Ryan, one nice thing about building your own is you can get the parts one at a time, as you can afford them. You can assemble one in a day, easy. Setting up the BIOS is what would take up most of the time, but the Mobo comes with a manual, and mostly you'd run default options anyway.

Have you ever looked around at Fry's Electronics? It's fun just looking.

http://www.frys.com/
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 07:22:15 PM »
     Yeah, it only takes one day if you've got all the parts.  But don't be in a rush.  Build it, over time as money allows.  And don't forget the monitor.  If you're moving from a laptop, you're gonna need one.  Unless you've got one laying around already.  The money?  I don't ever think about the money.  More expensive is usually better. (but not always).  Get the best you can afford, ... er ... save up your money until you can afford the best one (of whatever).  You'll be glad later.  Don't go cheap, I guess I'm trying to say.  Do you have a job?  Those are nice for getting money on a regular basis.  I guess school probably takes up a lot of your free time though.   :o  (... oh, and just being 13 I guess (I forgot).  Don't mean to rush you.)  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 07:26:12 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »
Ryan,

Just a couple of cents here and others have their pie too.. :) Building your own personal computer or PC has many advantages and a few disadvantages depending on the individual's point of view, interest or desire, aptitude, skill and resources available. Skill and aptitude will come with training and experience but interest has to come from within. Ask yourself, if it's something you are willing to undertake? (Well, only you can answer that...) If you are in the long-haul for this hobby including other gaming genres or life tasks (e.g. School work, social networking, video/audio entertainment, etc.) you think you'll be able to do  better, faster and more efficiently than without a computer, then the more reason and motivation for you to buy or build one... Even some of us old timers who have been tinkering since Windows 98 or earlier are learning something new everytime RTMM is introducing a new offering...and the helpful RTMM team also learns from numerous troubleshooting issues its members post in here. It's a continuous learning, trial-and-error process. Practically everything in these times that need to or can be automated are now being run by computers and will continue to do so as technology is always changing. That's just inherent with what we are doing and need to do to fully enjoy our pasttime here.. But luckily, there are lots of references and video tutorials online, too.

Just for the sake of simplification, you see an apple pie baked by someone else and sold at your nearby local bakeshop, you buy and eat it and say to yourself it tastes a so-so and think it could be better.. So you do some research and read about recipes or cooking guides from the internet. You first experiment with your first baked pie at home and your dad says your doing a good job but its too sweet for his taste then your mom says its just about right in sweetness but lack depth in flavor just like those from your local bakeshop. If you don't bake your own, you have no choice but either to buy again from that bakeshop or wait for your folks to bake it (if they're not busy) or buy again from somewhere else farther with no assurance that you'll be truly satisfied, anyway. You tell them you'll do more research and will do better the next time around you'll bake as you gain more experience. If you take the time and effort to learn how to bake, you can apply your own preferred, "secret" recipe tweaks and ingredients to your own liking and others in your family if they are fans of your concoction or yet to be ...Same with buying or building a PC whether you'll be its sole user or will have to share it with others in the house though you'll need to set a higher budget :P ;D ;)

Here's a nice, detailed article about building your own PC. If you are still interested and able to finish reading the whole thing, then maybe you can finally make up your mind..Goodluck! ;D
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2987057/computers/how-to-build-a-pc-a-step-by-step-comprehensive-guide.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 08:38:28 PM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

Penzoil3

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
 8)
 Ryan, I tried an AMD 4gh quad core processor, with 16 gb of ram for FSX. I was VERY unhappy with it.  I went back to Intel based chips.  An I-5 is good, an I-7 is better. You want at least a 3.5 ghz cpu, 4 ghz is better. FSX is cpu intensive, the fast the cpu, the better.  I can build a gaming computer fo a quarter of what it would cost to buy it. Motherboards come with step by step manuals, with pictures.  They are basically modular. It really isn't difficult if you can follow written directions, and illustrations.  I've talked friends through component installation over the phone, people who had never opened the box.
 Sue

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:01:10 PM »
What did you not like about AMD? They definitely seem to be cheaper then Intel. The processor is most likely going to be the most expensive part, right?

Ryan

Trex3D: Apple pie testing is cheaper than a PC :)

jsapair

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
Trex3d...I'll take one of those pies. Does it qualify for my Amazon Prime free shipping?

Ryan, I'd go Intel all the way. Why invite issues, and there are known to be some, with AMD? You might save a few bucks but invite headaches down the road.

Do a Google on 'bare-bones PC's' or something similar. Here's an example of one. The PSU in this example is woefully inadequate but there are thousands of these out there. Might be a good place to start, though.

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Nightblade-MI2-001BUS-Skylake-Barebone/dp/B017K5ZVME?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIKBZ7IH7LXTW3ARA&&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B017K5ZVME&tag=wwwbookcompar-20&ascsubtag=58707352e86f9e13e8ee52fc
Jsapair

Penzoil3

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 03:41:16 AM »
 8) I got worse performance in FSX with a 4ghz AMD than I had with a 3.5ghz  I-5 Intel chip.  Both had the same video card and RAM. Just different mobo and cpu.  Same drives, same OS etc.  The faster AMD had to be dialed back on FSX settings to prevent stutters. Let me mention I run a Radeon video card, so it wasn't a brand argument AMD vs Nvidia problem.
 Sue

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 11:21:38 AM »
Ryan,
Ask around school and your friends to see if anyone has built their own computer. They can be a source of help. Bottom line is research, research, research. There's a lot of info out there to be had.

My 2 cents on CPU and GPU brands. From what I've read all over the place is that you definitely want to go with Intel and NVidia. They seem to work the best with what FSX throws at them. Can't speak for P3D. Now you guys are making me want to do another PC build! The last time I did a from-scratch PC build my son and brother-in-law (both IT experts) went with me to a computer parts super store and helped me spend my money. Of course to them money was no object. Nice guys.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
Here is a computer I just "built" on a computer website*. How many cores do I need for FSX? How much disk space? Should I buy a new box, or use one of the ones my dad has laying around?

Intel I5-660 Skylane 3.3 Ghz (3.9 turbo (what does that mean?))
Asus H110M-A motherboard
8GB memory PC4-17000 DDR4 2133 MHZ
GeForce GT 730 2GB pCI express
240 GB SSD
realek digital HD sound
doesmt have windows

All comes to a grand total of $644!
(Yikes)

My biggest fear is buying the wrong case and nothing will fit.

If I skimp on only 2 cores and less SSD space:

Intel I3-6320 SkyLane 3.9 GHz dual core
same motherboard
Same memory
120 GB SSD
same everything else

$468!

FSX would probably be the only thing on the computer. I have to pay $60 get 2 extra cores.

I am going to guess that they* are charging about $60 for them to build it. Sound about right? If I get lost, there are a few PC stores in town where I can go.

I will definitely ask around and see who has built a PC. I am sure someone has. My Parents dont think I can build a PC because I cant even finish my model airplanes!

Ryan

*Magicmicro.com
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:13:41 PM by ryapad »

Penzoil3

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 10:21:08 PM »
 8)
 Ryan my FSX folder, with only half my planes and OrbX scenery installed is 310 GB. My Prepar3D with everything is 450GB.  The 120 would barely do for your system drive, then you would want another drive for the sim, and never install anything on the C: drive... 
   Try this  http://www.newegg.com/
 Sue

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:23:29 PM by Penzoil3 »