Author Topic: Using FTX Central for ORBX scenery for FSX  (Read 12066 times)

bawheeler

Using FTX Central for ORBX scenery for FSX
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:37:52 PM »
I am trying to install the ORBX scenery.  I have the FTX Central app running and appear to have downloaded and "installed" the files, i.e. it created an ORBX folder in my FSX directory.  However when I launched FSX, the scenery was not in the list (like the other RTMM files I added yesterday using the FSX scenery library tool).  So I added the new ORBX scenery like I normally would.  Was that a mistake and does FTX somehow manage it and not reveal the files in scenery library?  Also are the ORBX Libraries required (they are downloading now).

Reason I think there is a problem is I went to an airport near PAKT and two seaports I tried were on land, had grass, trees and cars driving near me!

Thanks in advance for your guidance. Brian
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Re: Using FTX Central for ORBX scenery for FSX
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »
Brian, your description of your problem is a little vague, but yes, scenery order placement could be your problem. What, exactly, were you installing from ORBX? First of all, FTX Central should not be running while FSX is running. Shut the sim down, run FTX Central and check your scenery library again. Did you apply the Insertion Tool in FTX Central b4 installing the ORBX scenery? If not, it will go to the top of your FSX scenery library. That's not where it belongs. I posted this for somebody else just a little while ago, but now I keep it handy :) Your scenery library order should like this, and in this exact order:

3rd Party Scenery (RTMM and any others you may have) at the top

OZX Entries (if you have any)

FTX Entries (all of your ORBX add-on entries preceded by FTX)

Tongass Fjords High Priority (if you have Tongass)

Tongass Fjords Low Priority

ORBX OPEN LC entries

Default Edwards AFB down to and including Africa. Below that:

ORBX Vector entries, followed by:

FS Global entries. Followed by the rest of the default entries.

If you have not set your Insertion Points, any new FTX or OpenLC entries will install at the very top.

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

jsapair

Jsapair

bawheeler

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:46:28 PM »
Ok, that tip with FTX helps.  I was leaving it running and not letting it handle things.  I have the insertion point set and am trying to get the scenery back in sequence.  Stay tuned!  Brian
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

bawheeler

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:16:32 AM »
Not sure what's happening now...  While last night (pre-ORBX), the RTMM Scenery Tester was working.  Today, all those objects are gone.  I am setting insertion point below the RTMM Two as shown below.  I am not convinced the new ORBX scenery is visible OR the RTMM goodies I installed last night. See anything unusual here?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:18:06 AM by bawheeler »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
What you have looks right to me. My first thought is that perhaps the pointers to the files are wrong. Double check to make sure they refer to the proper file locations using the "Edit Area" function.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:28:08 AM by ualani »
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BBQSteve

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »
Do you have Global or Vector? Some like PAKT area require those files.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »
PAKT is inside ORBX Pacific Fjords, not Global. Don't want to send them down the wrong path there. But your point is correct, airports do better if they're inside the region they were designed for.

Brad

bawheeler

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
Back at the troubleshooting... so some progress.  The RTMM object test is now working again.  That scenery file was indeed pointing to the wrong location.  However, I do not believe I am seeing anything new from ORBX.  I am at PANT and PAKT and not seeing the ORBX NA Pacific Fjords scenery.  Those files are pointed to the right location in the scenery library.  I have rebooted the computer and made sure FTX Central is not running.  So I'll move on now to diagnose ORBX scenery.  Any good locations you would suggest where I will really see that scenery pop and know if it is working (like the RTMM object test)?

Brian

bawheeler

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 09:10:15 PM »
Do I ALSO need to buy the ORBX FTX Global packs? BASE, North America, Trees, Vector?  I see now that BBQSteve mentions that above but I didn't know what that referred to until now.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
Hi Brian,
     FTX Global base adds Orbx-like ground textures to the greater world surface.  Vector adds terrain features like rivers and coastlines in a more accurate way.  FTX HD Trees are just better looking trees.  You don't need any of these to display RTMM.  You DO need the regions, such as Pacific Fjords, Pacific Northwest, or Southern Alaska.  We also rely heavily on Tongass Fjords X scenery package, and that is required also.  ;)

If Orbx FTX is installed and working, you will know it.  The difference between default terrain and Orbx is very obvious, everywhere.  Make sure your scenery library order is correct.  Can you post some pics of what you are seeing?   ???
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:36:43 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Penzoil3

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »
 8)
 Did you install the OrbX library files ? A necessity.

bawheeler

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »
Thank you!  Yes, I did have the ORBX libraries, but none of the FTX Globals.  So after another night of downloads, I'll post tomorrow and let you know if all this works!

So to recap... I'll eventually have the following scenery

All the RTMM scenery
All the RTMM object libraries
[insertion point here and FTX Central takes care of ORBX sequence]
ORBX Global libraries
ORBX FTX scenery (Pacific Fjords, Pacific Northwest, Southern Alaska)
ORBX FTX Global BASE Pack
ORBX FTX Global Vector
ORBX FTX Global openLC North America
Tongass_Fjords

Then I'll need a new computer right?!

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 09:55:20 PM »
Then I'll need a new computer right?!

:o  ;D ??? ;) Maybe just a new SSD.  8)

Wow, jumping in with both feet, eh?  Good on ya, mate!  That's a lot to coordinate in one go.  Good luck!  You should make sure the FTX region packages and TFX are working correctly before anything else, I think.  Make sure there are no trees in the ocean, etc.  ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

bawheeler

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »
What would be a good way to make sure the region package is working?  I have that installed now and I can't really tell.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 10:50:33 PM »
If you could post a picture of your scenery, we could see what you are seeing.  This is the Juneau area ala FTX in P3d ... what does yours look like?