Author Topic: Real world aircraft  (Read 6913 times)

archangel1

Real world aircraft
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:05:35 PM »
I had originally appended this to Bradallen43's post about what people fly most in their sims but I think it was getting lost because most folks seemed to have already replied and weren't following up on the thread.  So, I figured I'd open up a new one to get everyone's input.  Here's my original post (with some minor edits to update it slightly).

As an adjunct to this (Bradallen43's) thread, I wonder if we could list those aircraft that do/did fly in the PNW/Arctic in real life.  I'd like to know what's suitable for an accurate mount.  Other than the ubiquitous Beavers, Otters, Twotters and their innumerable variants, what else should/could we be flying? Off the top of my head, I can think of the Noorduyn Norseman and, here in Canada at least, the Junkers W33/34.  What else?

Edit: For the whirlybird fans - just discovered the Canadian Coast Guard (Pacific Region) flies Bell 212's and Bo 105's while STARS uses MBB/Kawasaki/Eurocopter 117's

Edited edit: Who can forget the C-47? They fly everywhere!

Thanks,
Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Real world aircraft
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »
I had originally appended this to Bradallen43's post about what people fly most in their sims but I think it was getting lost because most folks seemed to have already replied and weren't following up on the thread.  So, I figured I'd open up a new one to get everyone's input.  Here's my original post (with some minor edits to update it slightly).

As an adjunct to this (Bradallen43's) thread, I wonder if we could list those aircraft that do/did fly in the PNW/Arctic in real life.  I'd like to know what's suitable for an accurate mount.  Other than the ubiquitous Beavers, Otters, Twotters and their innumerable variants, what else should/could we be flying? Off the top of my head, I can think of the Noorduyn Norseman and, here in Canada at least, the Junkers W33/34.  What else?

Edit: For the whirlybird fans - just discovered the Canadian Coast Guard (Pacific Region) flies Bell 212's and Bo 105's while STARS uses MBB/Kawasaki/Eurocopter 117's

Edited edit: Who can forget the C-47? They fly everywhere!

Thanks,
Mike

Do not recall if a Goony Bird ever made a carrier landing or not.  Now I know the C-130 was flown on and off the boat as a trial made many full stop landings and takeoffs.
Later,

Spud

archangel1

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:27:09 PM »
A carrier is probably one of the few places a C-47 hasn't been! General consensus seems to be that it wouldn't have the push to get off the deck.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:55:30 AM »
A carrier is probably one of the few places a C-47 hasn't been! General consensus seems to be that it wouldn't have the push to get off the deck.

I bet it could get airborne by the time it reached the island on a modern carrier.  With the boat making 30 Kts. into, say, a 20 Kt. wind the airplane is doing 50 Kts. just sitting on the flight deck so when it reached only15-20 MPH on the deck it has flying speed.  Probably never done due to the age of the A/C by the time modern carriers were built.
 8)
Later,

Spud

archangel1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
Well, apparently nobody has any ideas about what was/is flying out on the west coast or the Arctic! Okay, lets try it this way.  Here's a list of planes and helicopters that are known to have flown in the US and Canadian bush, although not necessarily on the MM end of the continent.  That's what I'm trying to find out - what is truly suitable to be a little more accurate in my choice.  Of course, being a sim I can fly what I like, but I think a Spitfire might be just a little out of place, don't you agree? Please take a look and see what you think.  I probably missed a few.  Any additions gratefully received.  I realize many of these are not available in FSX but I intend to reinstall FS9 and the older version of MM when I get my new computer and I know there are many more available in that format.

Aircraft

Aeronca 15AC Sedan
American Champion Champ/Citabria/Scout
Aviat Husky
Avro 504K

Beech 18
Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker

Canadair CL-215
Cessna 170/172
Cessna 180/185
Cessna 190/195
Cessna 206
Cessna Caravan
Consolidated PBY Catalina/Canso
Curtiss HS-2L
Curtiss JN-4

deHavilland DH89 Dragon Rapide
deHavilland DHC-2 Beaver
deHavilland DHC-3 Otter
deHavilland DHC-6 Twin Otter
deHavilland DHC-7 (Dash 7)
Dornier DO 27
Douglas DC-3/C-47

Fairchild 71
Fairchild F-11 Husky
Fairchild FC-51
Fokker Universal
Found Aircraft FBA-2C2 Bush Hawk XP

Grumman Goose
Grumman HU-16 Albatross

Helio Courier

Junkers Ju-52
Junkers W.33/34

Kitfox

Lake Amphibians
Lockheed Vega

Maule

Noorduyn Norseman

Pilatus Porter PC-6
Piper Aztec
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper PA-18 Super Cub

Quest Kodiak

Republic RC-3 SeeBee

Stinson 108
Stinson SR-9 Reliant

Helicopters

Bell 47
Bell 204/205
Bell 206 Jet Ranger
Bell 212 Twin Huey
Bell 412
Boeing-Vertol Chinook
Boeing-Vertol Sea Knight

MBB Bo 105
MBB/Kawasaki/Eurocopter BK 117

Robinson R22
Robinson R44

Sikorsky/Erickson Sky Crane

Cheers,
Mike

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
Most likely no one has posted a list because the question is so broad that it would be hard to do.  While not a hard and fast and accurate list could go something like this.  Due to the many unimproved airports in most of the villages and town you do not see too many low wing small GA aircraft. IE: Piper, Beachcraft etc. in Canada/Alaska bush country.  They seem to prefer high wing, Cessna, Piper Cub, etc. for better visibility and it keeps the wings out of the bushes.  For twin engine A/C other than the Twotter I would say most are low wing models.  For everyday bush work any high wing Cessna from 180's up would be appropriate.  Of course the Beaver and Otter are almost standard.  A good source is the Discovery Channel's new program Flying Wild Alaska, you see many types that can help you decide what you want to fly.
 8)
Later,

Spud

archangel1

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:24:45 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't have said 'list'.  I'm basically just asking about those aircraft people have either actually seen/flown in the area or have any reference to.  All I need is someone to say 'I saw a ... fly through here yesterday on the way to Lake Whatsit' and I'll be happy.  The list I provided includes a lot of stuff I know flies/flew in Ontario and Quebec but since I've never been west of Virden, Manitoba (and it was 'closed' the day I was there  ;)), I have no idea of what aircraft actually operate out that end of the country.

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:26:17 AM »
Regular daily flying is Beaver, (Turbo) Otter and C-172 mostly, and mostly on floats. Not that hard  ;)
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

archangel1

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:49:38 AM »
Thanks, Francois

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »
having lived in Anchorage for 20+ years (and quite a few of those under one of the various runways approaches to any of the 15 or so fields within the Municipal Limits) there is no way to create an accurate list of bush planes for the area.. I have seen everything from Piper (Taylorcraft) Cubs to Boeing 737-200s equipped for flights into unmaintained/unimproved/off-airport areas..  for whirlybirds, Era Helicopter and Evergreen Helicopter used a half dozen or so types (bell 412, 212, 205, 206, Eurocopters, even a Sikorsky S61R, better known as the HH-3 Jolly Green Giant to the military) The Alaska State Troopers use everything from Super Cubs to King Airs, and a few different kinds of helo's thrown in for good measure.. The US Marshall's Service has a Cheyenne based at PANC that they can take to nearly anywhere in AK.. There are 2 C-7 Caribous at PANC, as well as a Beech 18 or 2, and someone used to fly a privately owned C-133 Globemaster though it is in a sad state of affairs anymore..  Era Classic Aviation flies the DC-3, and Everts Air has the DC-6Bs and C-46 Commandos, while Northern Air Cargo sold all of their DC-6s years ago..  Alaska Airlines flew specially fitted Boeing 737-200s that they routinely operated from gravel/snow/dirt runways of less than 5,000' in length (I took an excellent photo showing the gravel kit here http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=38478) Merrill Field has at least 2 Antonov AN-2 Colt's, and I remember seeing a few Aero Commanders scattered around town, and I think it was a Piper Aztec or Apache floatplane down in Homer... the best way to determine what is/was accurately used is probably to search airliners.net and jetphotos.net and search Airport Codes PANC, PAMR, Z41, LHD, PALH, PAJN, PAFA, PAAQ, and others... then weed out the big iron... but do not be fooled by the F-15C Floatplane (I can't seem to find it anymore, but there used to be a mousepad available for sale at Elmendorf of an AK tail code F-15C with floats, and the pilot standing nearby with fishing pole in hand.. was a photoshop gag, but funny as hell)
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

archangel1

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
Thanks.  That gives me some more options to play with.  I'm not looking for a definitive list but rather a guide to those birds that wouldn't look totally out of place in the bush.