Author Topic: Reinstall tips?  (Read 5683 times)

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
Reinstall tips?
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:07:30 AM »
Hi guys, I am looking for some advice before I do my reinstall. For some reason, I started getting these water glitches :( (they should appear at the bottom). With this, and some other problems, I am starting to consider reinstalling FSX. I already tried repairing and it fixed some problems, but not all. I was wondering of anybody had some advice like don't do this or make sure you do that, or things that would make it an easier process.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
Re: Reinstall tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:59:36 PM »
I say to make sure you remove ALL FSX.  Meaning after the uninstall process completes to make sure you also remove the  FSX folder.  After all FSX files are gone start the process of installing.  After the base install of FSX start installing your addons one at a time making sure each runs well before installing the next.

Good luck.  👍
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 01:24:53 AM »
Are you running, say, ORBX Global and/or Global Vector?  Does this occur just at this particular location? A re-install of FSX would be my last option. But you need to provide more information for one of us to solve your problem.

jsapair
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:36:51 AM by jsapair »
Jsapair

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:00:13 AM »
Check your scenery library order before you reinstall. Spud is a good one to explain how it should look. Reinstalling is a very radical thing to do and should be a last result option.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
I like radical...  :)
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 02:04:51 PM »
I am not running any ORBX products yet, and i'm also having other problems such as CTD's, extremely slow loading ground textures and other problems that I didn't have when I first started. If reinstalling is something you guys think of as a last resort, do you think I should really try to fix the problem instead of just reinstalling right away?
                                                                       Ryan

ualani said something about the scenery library. I took some screenshots of it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:34:12 PM by ryapad »

jsapair

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 10:47:27 PM »
ryapad, your scenery library is hosed. All 3rd party scenery (RTMM) has to be listed first, followed by any OZx entries, then any FTX entries, then Tongass Fjords, then any ORBX Open LC entries. If you don't have Global or Vector or OPENLC we don't have to worry about that at this time.

And yes, you are running ORBX products. FTX is ORBX and you at least have PNW from what I see. You need to straighten this out as per Spud's post (I'll see if I can link you).  Once you have it straightened out in your scenery library, and saved, you'll need to set an insertion point via FTX Central to prevent any FTX products from installing at the top of your 3rd party scenery in the future.

Spud, I can't find your scenery library post. I know it was very helpful to me. Could you please re-post it for ryapad in this thread? Thanks, Spud.

jsapair

Jsapair

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 11:09:11 PM »
I don't see any RTMM scenery or libraries in the library except for a couple of the unchecked ones.

There could be any number of reasons for CTD's and slow loading textures. We can probably help you with those issues.

I'd say that if you have a fairly simple and generic installation (which it looks like you do judging by your scenery library) go ahead and reinstall after you get instructions on the proper arrangement of your scenery library and trying that. Calling Spud....

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Penzoil3

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 01:02:04 AM »
 8)
 Also, if he installed OrbX PNW, and didn't intall the library files, that would hose his install, the one requires the other.  I'm betting that he just installed the PNW demo though, a different matter.
 Sue

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 02:34:51 AM »
Here's a link where Spud is showing a page from the "FTX Definitive Guide".  It shows the recommended load order, according to Orbx.  ;)

http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3131.msg27108#msg27108

... searching for "scenery library order" will bring up all related conversations on the forum. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:39:27 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jsapair

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 02:51:57 AM »
Steve's right. His only RTMM entries are un-checked in his scenery library, as per his snapshots.  Once he "checks" them, he'll still  need to straighten out his order of business.

Jsapair
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »
Jeff's link to the post showing the ORBX/FTX reccommended order for the FSX Scenery Library is a good guide to the order of scenery entries.

First when taking a screenshot make sure the Latitude/Longitude coordinates are showing in the upper left corner so the location can be duplicated by the team.  Your shots show the FPS etc. but not the coordinates and those are very important.

Second as far as RTMM scenery is concerned you MUST have the RTMM libraries installed or the scenery will never display correctly.  From your screen shots you do not have any libraries from RTMM installed.  First step download and install ALL the required Libraries.  Once that is accomplished we can proceed from there.  No need to go further with the instructions until the Libraries are present.
LINK to our libraries:

http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/object_libraries_build/

Depending on what locations you want to explore first will determine which ORBX/FTX region you will need to purchase.  Remember that RTMM scenery is not stand alone it is an overlay on ORBX/FTX regions.  Now is a good time to buy ORBX products as they are on sale with a 35% discount until Dec. 31st.  RTMM scenery uses PNW, PFJ and SAK as BASE Areas for RTMM scenery, those are required for RTMM locations.  The various payware airports in those regions are not a requirement so don't worry about buying those.
Here is a link to a map that shows the ORBX/FTX regions and airports your not interested in the airports yet so ignore those.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1oMki4fAslLZKQiCQIn2fNSvvzG0&hl=en&ll=36.19394774778906%2C-119.3465758560123&z=6

During the sale you can purchase all three required ORBX/FTX regions for about $80 US dollars total. (sale price about $26.50 U.S. each).

Rememer that you will need to delete the ORBX/FTX demos before installing the ORBX/FTX payware they are not compatible.
That will keep you busy for a bit then we'll get to the installation of RTMM scenery etc.

8)
Later,

Spud

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 02:05:49 PM »
My scenery library is pretty messy, that's for sure! I haven't installed any payware scenery, just the two of the ORBX demos. I haven't installed the Iceland demo (I heard it caused some problems.) I don't have any RTMM stuff yet, but I am going to get PFJ during the sale. so at this point, I probably need to re-do my scenery library. How do I do that? can you remove the Scenery.cfg and will it rebuild like the Fsx.cfg?

Thanks for the help,
                                                                                         Ryan

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »
Ryan,
just removing the Scenery.cfg wont do it.  It will rebuild from whats in your FSX Scenery Library.  If you are not using the airports etc. you have unchecked now just delete them (not uncheck them) from the Library and click OK to rebuild the Scenery.cfg file.
Actually your Library, although it needs to be tweaked, isn't too much at this point.  My Library is now at 460 entries and still going.  Most of that is ORBX/FTX, OZx and RTMM with a bit of other scenery thown in.  And I don't use P3D myself so that is another dog of a mixed breed to consider.

8)
Later,

Spud

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
Okay, so I just need to delete the stuff I am not using, take everything out and add it again? Hopefully that might fix my problem, because as I was looking through my FSX folder, I saw I have lots of add-ons.
                                                                  Ryan