Author Topic: Can't see some "Missing Cabins" after installing  (Read 5183 times)

donkeyman2341

Can't see some "Missing Cabins" after installing
« on: September 28, 2016, 12:26:11 AM »
Hey guys, I am new here and absolutely loving all of the content. I installed all of the object sceneries etc. however I am having an issue where I can't see some of the 'Missing Cabins.'

I have ORBX PFJ, PNW, and Tongrass Fjords, all the RTMM object sceneries, and the Missing Cabins download. When I fly to some cabins I see them fine. But then I go to others and they just aren't there.

It was very frustrating last night after flying an hour and not being able to see the cabin I'm aiming for. I ran the object tester and see all buildings except #10, 11, and 12. Which I believe are special addons.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Can't see some "Missing Cabins" after installing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:02:07 AM »
Give me the name of one the cabins you cannot find.  If you have some of them, then you have all of them...so we will help you. Pick one you can't find and we will work on that one.

Doug

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »
My guess is that you're just not flying "low and slow" enough. Some of the cabins are a real challenge to find, and if there is no chimney smoke, even more difficult to find during the day. Some of them I've never found, but I'm sure they are there. You might try looking at night and maybe see some lights in a window or perhaps a campfire. Also be sure to look for signs on the shore like a buoy, canoe, dock, etc. Your problem is not unique...keep looking!

jsapair
Jsapair

donkeyman2341

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 11:33:42 PM »
Give me the name of one the cabins you cannot find.  If you have some of them, then you have all of them...so we will help you. Pick one you can't find and we will work on that one.

Doug

Okay great. So the 2 that I tried to find and couldn't see were "Alava Bay Cabin" and both "Kegan Creek" / "Kegan Cove" (they should be right next to eachother).

However, I did see "Bakewell Cabin" perfectly fine, with all the details including tables, etc.

I am wondering if it is a scenery order issue with my FSX??

Doug

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 07:24:49 AM »
Trust me, you are ok on your setup. You can't get just some of them. If you have one, you have them all.  Busy this morning, will update this in the afternoon. Hang in there! :-)

Doug

Dieter

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:52:29 AM »
@donkeyman2341
I suggest to use PlanG, additionally import my "RTMM_USFS_Cabins.csv" fle.
http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/mistys/#dieter
- USFS Cabins - adds all of the USFS cabins from the Cabins Page

This should help to find the cabins.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

donkeyman2341

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
So I was playing around last night...I put the "Missing Cabins" scenery at the very top of my scenery list in FSX, but that didn't work.

I was just slewing around PAKT area trying to find the cabins via the Plan G map with Dieter's cabin csv file. Still no luck. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't install the "Missing Cabins" correctly, and the ones that I am seeing are default to the scenery??

Are their GPS coordinates of any of the cabins so I can really make sure I'm in the right spot?

Thanks for the help guys.

Doug

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »
Ok, For Alava Bay (example).

Go to the USFS Cabins page HERE

Once there, if using windows, press CTRL-F for find

Enter Alava

The Alava Bay Cabin will show up ... and the information on it.

In your simulator, go to MAP or CHANGE LOCATION and put in the following from the Cabin Page Information:

The Latitude/Longitude for the STARTING POINT is:  N55 13.54 / W131 9.21
The Heading is: 254*
(set Airspeed and altitude at "0")

This will put your aircraft (make it a float plane) ready for TAKEOFF from the Alava Bay Cabin.

The pic below is what you will see looking about 3-5 degrees to your right. The cabin is there on the hill.

Kegan Cove is a tough one because it is tucked into a cove that you literally must fly over to get to it. Again, go to the USFS Cabins page, do a CTRL-F and enter "Kegan".  The cabin will be highlighted on the page. Enter the latitude and longitude and heading using the MAP function in your sim and it will place you right at the cabin.  You can do that for all of these.

"The Cabins" are some of the most exciting flying in RTMM. They are tiny, they are in beautiful places (all of them are REAL) .. and when you are looking for a 20 by 20 foot structure in a 10 by 10 area below you, they can be very difficult to see.  Once you fly to one and know where it is, the next time you'll know where to look. This is what the real pilots are doing up there ferrying people from Ketchikan or Juneau off to the various cabins sites weekly. They have to fly in (almost) all kinds of weather because people need to be picked up and others have spent a fortune getting there and expect to be taken to their cabin on time. It is fascinating flying, perhaps some of the most difficult of all the things we offer.

Doug

PS: and even in the picture below, look how the cabin "blends" in with the terrain, even in the picture it is difficult to see. This is why you must be at 1200 feet or lower and going very slow to even get a glimpse of many of them.  Notice in the 2nd picture, the altitude is only 800 feet. This cabin is "away from" the shore, no wooden dock. They aren't always where you expect them to be that's for sure! :-)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:16:43 PM by Doug »

donkeyman2341

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »
Doug,

Thanks for the detailed help and responses. I did exactly as you said for a few cabins and didn't see any of them. There is no buoy or anything. : (((

I'm not sure what the issue is. It must be a scenery issue is the only thing I can think of.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:19:32 AM »
Using the scenery tester, double check to make sure you have all of the object libraries installed. My guess is that you are missing something.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

donkeyman2341

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
I ran the scenery tester again and can see all the buildings except #10, 11, and 12. However, I was under the impression that the last 3 are a different download specific to certain missions. Maybe that is my problem?

The other thing I noticed is that I can't see any smoke coming from any of the chimneys. I will spend some time this weekend going back through the install guide and see if I missed any steps.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 02:02:01 PM »
Correct 10, 11, 12 are from supplemental libraries, as noted under the tester. When you get things figured out, I strongly suggest downloading and installing those 3 libraries.

As for the smoke: smoke is generated from effects files (.fx) that are contained in the "effects" folder in your FSX or P3D root folder. Post back when you get the other problem fixes and we can work on this.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Dieter

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 04:20:33 AM »
@donkeyman

see here how the correct and complete RTMM library should be:

http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3146.0;topicseen
reply #4
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals